Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring MASSIVE for dates - help!!

(42 Posts)
LePamplemousseMousse Mon 29-Jul-13 13:24:01

Just come back from MW appointment and according to fundal height I am measuring four weeks ahead for dates! I am 27 weeks and measuring 31. Apparently this is, quote, "off the charts". Until now baby has been bang on from all measures and scans, so it's a bit of a shock.

She wants me to go for a scan today if they can fit me in, which has freaked me out as there's usually such a long wait. I asked her if it could mean there's a problem with the baby and she deliberately didn't answer the question - just told me to go ASAP, but it's probably just the way the baby is lying.

I am not overweight (right in the middle of the BMI chart before PG and gained about a stone in pregnancy so far, if that), eat a healthy diet, don't have diabetes or any kind of history, so I'm a bit worried what it might mean. My first baby measured perfectly all the way through and was a normal weight at full term, just under eight pounds.

Any one else had any experience of being very big for dates? What was the outcome?

Razzdazz wow!

I had my scan and she is measuring 4 weeks bigger but they don't think it GD as i have normal fluid levels she is just a big baby smile

Glad all is good op smile

Razzdazz Thu 01-Aug-13 16:31:56

Glad all has worked out well for you OP grin.
I was measured by my consultant yesterday a whopping 12 weeks ahead shock so I'm 30 but measuring 42!! I do have GD and polyhydramious so they have booked me in for a section at 36 weeks if I make it that far, steroid injections in the next 2 weeks.

ChunkyPickle Thu 01-Aug-13 15:44:35

I measure bigger at afternoon appointments than at first thing in the morning ones. As the day progresses my bump gets harder, and pokes up higher (I can add on 2 cm just by tensing!)

Plus, I'm sorry, but I really think that they are over-estimating the accuracy of a midwife, a bit of prodding, and a dressmaking tape!

LePamplemousseMousse Thu 01-Aug-13 15:37:16

Hi all. Thought I'd just update.

Had the scan and apparently everything is in normal ranges. They don't even want me to do a GTT. Phew.

Three midwives have now measured the fundal height and all three put me at four weeks over. Having seen the scan they don't have an explanation. Perhaps being as it's my second baby I just have no tummy muscles left at all wink

Thanks for all your advice and reassurance. Feel like I can relax a bit now. Phew.

MissStrawberry Tue 30-Jul-13 14:00:32

True. I was told I was having an 8-9lb baby. He was born 4 hours later weighing 6lb 12.5oz.

curiousgeorgie Tue 30-Jul-13 11:26:32

My friend was measuring huge for dates, everytime she got scanned or measured the weeks jumped up even more and she was expecting a 10 - 11lb baby and terrified..

He was 7.5lbs! They're not always right smile

Meid Tue 30-Jul-13 11:08:57

I also had polyhydramnios. Like others diagnosed at about 28 weeks and I was measuring 4 or 5 weeks ahead right until the very end.
I was a bit frightened as I was told the baby could come early (as my body might think the baby is due before it actually is) but in the end I was induced at 41 weeks. The worst part was feeling very uncomfortable.
You'll probably have to do a test for GD which takes a good few boring hours of your time.
All the best.

gamerchick Tue 30-Jul-13 10:59:54

If they send you for the gtt, take a book. It's a long boring thing.

LePamplemousseMousse Tue 30-Jul-13 08:29:57

Thanks pinkr and tarka for the info - just have to wait for the scan on Thurs now and hope it's all a storm in a teacup!

TarkaTheOtter Mon 29-Jul-13 20:37:55

Agree with pinkr, whilst bmi is a risk factor for gd it isn't "caused" by diet, it's hormonal. It also doesn't have symptoms so don't stress out looking for them. You'd know if you'd had the gd test (called gtt). You fast overnight first, then have bloods taken, then drink a glucose solution, then two hours later another blood test.

I'd have thought if she was that worried about gd she would have booked you in at the hospital for a gtt. They are done every morning round here.

Fundal height measurement is very inaccurate. I had two midwives measure me in the same day and the difference was three cm.

pinkr Mon 29-Jul-13 18:36:15

Nothing 'gives' you gd...certainly not anything you eat, its to do with hormones etc. however if you do have it then cakes etc will not be good for your sugar levels.
I don't eat much sweets etc anyway...one of the things I was told to cut back on was milk...I was drinking pints and its high in natural sugar!
The test is that you fast over night, they take blood, give you a sugar drink and then take more blood two hours after.

LePamplemousseMousse Mon 29-Jul-13 16:38:15

I am now starting to wonder about GD. I've always felt a bit funny after I've eaten anything really sweet (I can't drink orange juice without watering down with 50% water or I'll feel really sick, for example), hence not having a sweet tooth. I had really bad morning sickness for a while, and the only thing that helped was carbs and sweets - very, very unlike me. No more morning sickness now, but I'm still drinking things like ribena which I'd never have had pre-pregnancy and a lot more carbs (which I kept to a minimum before too). Work are constantly plying me with biscuits and cakes too (which again, I never normally eat) - I joked last week they were going to give me GD. Doesn't sound so funny now hmm

FoofFighter Mon 29-Jul-13 16:29:46

Yep the GD test isn't a blood test but an oral glucose test.

Carolra Mon 29-Jul-13 16:14:49

They never got to the bottom of it, it just went away... We'd hired a doula who was amazing and really reassuring throughout the whole thing. She told me that bump measurements are just a guide and a lot depends on who is doing them, the scans did show an increase in fluid around the baby but no reason for it. When she was born she was in the 50th percentile for all measurements. I still secretly think it was all because I ate too much cake. grin

MissStrawberry Mon 29-Jul-13 15:58:24

You could have polyhydromnious.

You need to keep a close eye on the baby's movements and go to be checked if there is any change or you can't get any response from the Baby.

I had this with DC1 at 38 weeks.

gamerchick Mon 29-Jul-13 15:49:09

I had polyhydramnios as well.. Measured 4 weeks ahead right till the end. Breaking the waters was great fun.

He was 7lb 8 and physically healthy.

Sometimes its just one of those things.. Extra scans and gd tests.

Try not to worry.

flipflump Mon 29-Jul-13 15:47:54

The test is not done by blood tests, so you may still be asked to go for one. I was measuring 2 weeks over according to midwife. Scan confirmed baby was big but measuring one week over. Excess fluid can be a sign of gestational diabetes. If you have got it it's no reflection on a sweet tooth etc. Don't worry, you'll be treated accordingly and on Thursday you will have a better idea of what's happening.

DialsMavis Mon 29-Jul-13 15:43:33

I measured big with DD2, they kept doing the glucose test and got me in for an extra scan. I read up that they always say the baby will be huge and they end up being 7lbers.... DD was 10lb 2oz <winces in memory<. She is now a very tall but very skinny 2 year old.

Freudianslap Mon 29-Jul-13 15:42:20

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, measuring MASSIVE, sent for an urgent scan that day. Was totally terrified....
But had the scan and baby was measuring absolutely fine, the sonographer said (very tactfully) that the midwife had possibly measured incorrectly but also said that te fundal height is affected by loads of simple things like the baby lying on its side etc.

Hope all goes well xx

PoppyAmex Mon 29-Jul-13 15:41:20

"I had polyhydramnios (too much fluid) from weeks 27-38, I was measuring 3-5 weeks ahead"

Same here, DD was 10lbs 8oz, freakishly long and perfectly healthy.

Wickedgirl Mon 29-Jul-13 15:38:20

I measured 4cm too big with my second baby. I had an extra scan at 34 weeks and everything was fine. Gave birth 10 days early to a boy of 9lb 13oz. He is now almost 13 and is very slim. I am slim myself so a big baby was a surprise but I had a natural delivery using only gas and air

Good luck

ratbagcatbag Mon 29-Jul-13 15:33:51

I measured 2-3 weeks ahead the whole way through, had a scan at 32 weeks due to decreased movements, they estimated baby was 7lb already. Sweepstake at work guesses were in the 10lb plus range bastards I ended up having dd at 37+4 (waters went so induced) at the humongous size of 6lb 12oz. I had gallons of fluid though, waters went whilst sitting on DH side of the bed, it absolutely flooded everywhere. smile

pinkr Mon 29-Jul-13 15:28:29

Oh and I have none of the markers for gd...no family history, in no way over weight etc. these things just happen sometimes

pinkr Mon 29-Jul-13 15:25:04

Don't worry...I measured 40 at 32 Weeks. Turns out I have excecss fluid from gestational diabetes. Now we know i've got it we are monitoring my blood levels etc and now at nearly 37 Weeks I'm still measuring the same...I figure this means the baby is growing but the fluid is decreasing. I get another scan on thurs.

LePamplemousseMousse Mon 29-Jul-13 15:24:57

Oh God mistle the pre-eclampsia leaflet, how awful! I'd have been in pieces! So glad it all worked out well - what a whopper grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now