Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much does a baby cost?

(31 Posts)
Rtfairy Sun 28-Jul-13 09:08:34

I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant with my first baby and trying to sort my budget out for when I am on maternity leave. So how much would you say the average spend per month is for a baby for say the first 10 months of their life?

I plan on breastfeeding for the first 6 months but will be using disposable nappies so the cost will be for nappies, wipes, toiletries, clothes etc. Anything I have missed? I am a planner but am new to this so need help grin

invicta Sun 28-Jul-13 11:41:13

Educart - love your post!

Rtfairy Sun 28-Jul-13 11:43:27

grin

ringaringarosy Sun 28-Jul-13 11:44:49

as much or as little as you want really,i spent lots but thats because i like shopping!Its hard to give figures really.

bigkidsdidit Sun 28-Jul-13 11:47:03

I breastfed DS1 no probs, DS2 I tried and tried but failed (tongue tie, mastitis, terrible latch) and je is on formula which is expensive.

Things like a play mat, bouncy chair, etc are not essentials but nice, entertain baby and give you 5 minutes. Get them on eBay if you can.

A good stretchy sling is worth it's weight in gold so splash out.

After 6 months they cost a bit in food, also need more entertaining so playgroup money, toys etc

I reckon my 2yo costs about 100 a month in nappies, clothes, food, soft play etc apart from childcare. My one month old about 100 too including formula and the odd new bit of clothing. We didn't need to buy anything new for this one but remember we spent about 700 on DS1 with cot, pram, sling, clothes, bath seat, play mat, chair, all that jazz!

forevergreek Sun 28-Jul-13 14:24:01

Also we tried to get things that lasted . Ie instead o a playmat that would have lasted a few months we brought a baby sheepskin rug for them to lay on and it can be used for years to come. We currently use ours for them to sit on in their ' reading corner' ( sheepskin rug, some cushions and bookshelf). Also brought a stokke highchair to save buying a highchair, then booster chair later ( as suitable from small - adult). Expensive but often on eBay. Save space too as pushes up to table instead of standing in middle of room

Re reusables: we live in a flat so no outdoor drying space but just got one of those drying racks for over radiators ( with 2/3 hanging rails). We did use a tumbled dryer for a few months but mainly as we had 2 under 18 months so dried quicker to save buying more. We only use bamboo ones as most absorbent and take a day to dry here. As small babies we used more but now older roughly 5 a day. 20 nappies are enough for us, to wash, have some drying, and some clean. Most machines have a 1/2 full setting now also where u can wash less often if needed. We just keep wipes in a Tupperware box with water and camomile in, so ready to use.

TarkaTheOtter Sun 28-Jul-13 16:42:13

We use lidl nappies and spend less than £5 per week. Have used lots of brands and lidl ones are just as good.
Ebay/nearly new sales for clothes and equipment.
Ikea antilop highchair is about £15 from memory and brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now