Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

what nice things has your dh/dp done for you while you'vebeen pg?

(44 Posts)

anything that has made you feel loved for
cared for
or just well looked after ?

juniper9 Thu 25-Jul-13 13:34:57

I fell over at work yesterday and it seemed like I'd broken my ankle. DP rushed to the hospital to meet me, but not before packing a bag 'just in case'. He packed treats, a range of clothes, pyjamas and slippers, my iPad and chargers for it and my phone and a book.

It felt really good to have someone drop everything to be there, and to really think about what I'd want. Saying that, he used the iPad more than I did, but still!

LostMySocks Thu 25-Jul-13 14:31:02

My DH has funny ways of showing he cares. We're moving at the mo and each morning I get little lectures about standing on chairs if I get back before him. He also carries the Hoover and washing up the stairs (apparently doin housework is fine for me). Mind you he only started being concerned when bump started showing. He's also ridiculously cute trying to get the baby to kick.

Lovemyprincess4eva Thu 25-Jul-13 14:34:20

Does arranging a lovely new house for us count?? Because he has arranged all this and we move in in two weeks!! Can't wait!!

He also took me to America for one last special holiday before DD arrives and has just been very caring and loving the last few months.

I feel like a very special very loved lady at the moment!! Xx

HotSoupDumpling Thu 25-Jul-13 14:40:41

OP - I love your reason for starting this thread! I've had lots of occasion to say to DP, 'with lots of couples, their DP does XYZ' (I don't mention mumsnet...he is too good at internet research).

Taken over the cooking as raw eat currently makes me hurl.

Keeps 2 litre bottles of water in the fridge topped up as I have a thing for chilled water at the moment, it's the only thing that cures the nausea for a bit.

Let's me have the bedroom fan blasting all night even though I know the noise irritates him.

Scoops me up off the sofa every night and puts me to bed because I keep dozing off.

Sunflower1985 Thu 25-Jul-13 17:08:31

Lets me eat his ice cream after I told him not to buy any because I didn't want it.

Mostly, just listening to my whines coz he knows it makes me feel better

Amibambini Thu 25-Jul-13 17:29:51

Beckett - Really sorry to hear about your partner. But your kids sound AMAZING. Your stories brought a tear to my eye, you are obviously a great mum and they love you very much.

In response to OP.. my partner is a sweetheart. He is taking a few weeks off work soon (his holiday) to finish reno's on our home to get it ready for the baby.

The funniest was during the early stages and I was feeling quite fragile, I come home and he has excitedly prepared dinner for me. He had read that pregnant ladies should eat oily fish, so he had made a creamy smoked mackerel pasta with mushroom and leeks. It was literally the worst smell that had ever hit my oversensitive nostrils, I had to try so hard not to vomit. Poor guy! He doesn't cook that much (I always get home earlier than him), probably feels like cooking even less now!

LouiseD29 Thu 25-Jul-13 18:16:48

Beckett, your daughter sounds like a superstar.

I am very lucky. My DH brings me tea and biscuits in bed in the morning, while I was still working came to pick me up from the station almost every evening for the last couple of months, bought me flowers for my last week at work, picks things up for me when I drop them (which I do a lot now - so clumsy!) and every day tells me I'm beautiful and amazing for carrying our baby for nine months. He's ace.

mejypoo Thu 25-Jul-13 18:22:34

Made a 55 mile round trip to get me takeaway from my favourite place in another town

Constantly rubbing my feet/back

Always brings me snacks/ drinks to bed and doesn't wake me at the weekends so I can have a lie in

Generally more domesticated round the house

And best of all is being rather generous with his money!!

:-)

SeriousStuff Thu 25-Jul-13 18:32:30

This thread is depressing. I love my DH to bits, but he hasn't done anything differently since I've been pg. We've moved house and I cleaned, packed, moved stuff as much as him (apart from really heavy stuff), when I was nauseous, what really go to me more than anything was preparing food - if he cooked for me I could manage something, but this didn't seem to register and he only cooked for me once. He doesn't share chocolate, even if I hint, he complains that he's tired ALL THE TIME. He started off picking up all of our dog's poo but that's even stopped now.

He will help and do things for me but only when I ask.

Sometimes I just wish he wouldn't take this pg thing so for granted. Whenever I've mentioned it, he takes it the wrong way and thinks that I mean he has to buy stuff for me (!) but that's not it at all. I just want him to give me a second thought...

Sorry, I know this wasn't the point of the thread!

JanieLovesLuckySocks Thu 25-Jul-13 18:50:37

I've had bugger all. Asked DH could he paint the nursery room and he said no, asked him could he come to bed a little earlier as I woke up when he came in at 1am and i was so tired and he said no. I said one day I wish I looked pregnant instead of fat and he just sniggered. Hmmm now that I think of it he's been a complete arse in comparison to most of yours

Kayshields Thu 25-Jul-13 18:53:54

Nothing :/ he won't even buy the food im craving.. he thinks its all made up sad

LittlePeaPod Thu 25-Jul-13 19:00:43

Beckett your ave a wonderfully caring DD. credit to you as a mother.

I am really starting to appreciate how lucky I am reading some of the other ladies experiences.

Gerty1002 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:04:14

Runs me a bath every night

Gives me a massage if I'm aching

Will happily eat whatever I fancy even if he's not usually keen

Helped my friends to organise my surprise baby shower

Works 50 hours a week to make sure we are financially comfortable

Decorated and constructed the nursery

Always does the hoovering as we have a three storey house with lots if stairs

Always tells me how beautiful I look

I could go on but you get the idea... I'm blessed to have a very thoughtful DP who I know will be a very hands on father. Sure, he leaves his wet towel on the floor, puts 1mm of milk back in the fridge and occasionally misses the toilet in the night but I can forgive him that smile

MsCatShoes Thu 25-Jul-13 19:50:36

Brings me tissues when I spend entire evenings crying and when the smell of lamb (which he LOVES to eat) make me feel sick, he waits until I'm out to cook it, then cleans up all the pans so the smell doesn't linger.

It's the little things smile

foolssilver Thu 25-Jul-13 20:02:32

Beckett, your DD sounds lovely!

So many nice stories, I'm glad so many of you ladies have such lovely men in your lives.

Sorry to those who don't, hopefully the birth of their children will kick those guys into shape!

My partner lives away from me just now I guess the biggest, nicest thing he is doing is sorting out moving to a different country for me and the baby. He also sends super sweet texts every morning. When we have had the chance to be together he has been great at looking after me, cooking and generally not letting me lift a finger smile

Shellywelly1973 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:31:18

Beckett your Dd sounds like an amazing young lady...a reflection of your parenting.

My dp is a useless lump. I actually want to chuck him out. He does nothing, bare minimum all the time. He's getting lazier as he's getting older.

I always end up doing more then him, cook dinner, do shopping, housework, look after his own dc? Nothing, at all... He couldn't give a Shit!

Shellywelly1973 Thu 25-Jul-13 23:55:24

No it won't kick them into shape. My dp wasn't much good first time round but has got worse as time has gone on... I can't even remember why we are having another one!!

FoofFighter Fri 26-Jul-13 08:26:20

Re kicking into shape, I have no doubts at all that he won't be a gdoo father, the two aren't linked imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now