Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Please please tell me my boobs will stop growing!!!

(18 Posts)
foolssilver Wed 24-Jul-13 20:33:23

I am having a boob nightmare!

I am 16 weeks and about a month ago had to go and buy some new bras which were 2 cup sizes bigger than normal. These are now feeling really tight! Is this it or will they still grow more? Help!

AnythingNotEverything Wed 24-Jul-13 20:45:25

I had to get refitted at 27 weeks. Sorry.

I'm up from a 32G to a 34J now. I'm not looking forward to my milk coming in!

BumbleBeesGoBuzz Wed 24-Jul-13 21:01:30

mine keep growing, but never at the same time. I permanently have wonky boobs at the moment.

spacegirl81 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:04:00

I went from a 36D, to a 38D when pregnant, jumped to 38G when milk came in (think Dolly Parton!) and now DS2 is 9 months (still breast feeding) am a 34F! shock

Anothermrssmith Wed 24-Jul-13 21:48:41

I was a 34hh this time 6months ago and at 14 weeks I'm up to a 36k. God help me by the time my milk comes in! I'm planning on breast feeding so I only hope bravissimo do maternity bras big enough!

scoutfinch1 Wed 24-Jul-13 22:04:14

They will get bigger and you will probably go up a back size as well as baby gets bigger and higher. I went from a 32/34 C to a 36 DD (and that was getting very tight) then to a 34 DD/E as the baby dropped. I'm due any day and have resorted to Emma Jane Nursing Bras as they are back size only so grow with you. Not sure that I would reccomend them from as early as 16 weeks though. Am expecting to go up another two sizes when milk comes in.

TwickyWoo Wed 24-Jul-13 22:08:38

Completely with you on this. I had to go out and buy new bras at about the same time as you. They feel like they're having a 'rest' at the moment, but based on previous weeks I'm guessing this is brief respite and they'll be off again at some point. Very annoying as I can see me getting fitted for new bras every few weeks at the moment, and don't even get me started on the size increase when your milk come in! :S

LostMySocks Wed 24-Jul-13 23:18:19

I've had to buy two sets if new bras. Started at a 28EE was up to a 30 F at 4 months (although would have been 28 FF but bravissimo recommended going up a back size and doing up tight as my rib cage was pushed out. Had to buy 30G at about 25 weeks. Boobs now seem to have stopped growing. Still slightly concerned what I'm going to look like when milk comes. Not looking forward to several months without underwire

maggiethemagpie Thu 25-Jul-13 09:08:44

They stop growing so quickly. But I don't think have mine stopped growing, just the rate has slowed down! (although may pick up pace again when I'm due) Best thing I did was buy a Bravado silk seamless nursing bra (John Lewis do them - or online) as it is made of this stretchy material which grows with your boobs and your ribcage. It only comes in four sizes so you don't have to worry about going up the odd cup size/back size.
My rib cage has massively expanded, although I've put on some weight I think this is to make way for the growing uterus - I estimate I've put on four inches on my back and gone up at least 2-3 cup sizes.
I had given up on maternity bras until I found this brand, the bra is so comfy I don't want to take it off at night and think I will stick with this brand in post pregnancy life too.

Branleuse Thu 25-Jul-13 09:11:32

i went from a B cup to a FF/G cup in pregnancy, and then back down again. Sorry

Umlauf Thu 25-Jul-13 09:13:23

I grew from a 28g to a 30gg quickly in the first trimester, and about week 18 changed to a 32gg, but it slowed down after that. At 30 weeks have just been to bravissimo to get nursing bras as (only time before the birth I was in the uk) and we settled on a 32J (the biggest cup size in that style!) and a bikini for now in a 34gg so I must have grown again, although the bikini was small fitting so I think I haven't, iyswim!

I fucking hate my boobs they make me so miserable. So bloody heavy and won't fit into anything.

Rosenip Thu 25-Jul-13 11:37:14

My mum's are humoungous and never returned to normal. DH has agreed I can have surgery if mine don't return to their normal 32E which is big enough, I'm currently in 34DD but haven't been fitted at all this pregnancy (had horrible experience with a witch lady in M&S who refused even though I'd made a special trip, because I hadn't 'booked an appointment', cow - made me cry I was so annoyed) and am now 22 weeks and need to get something sorted!!

Please boobs go back to normal after breastfeeding.

What happens if you don't breastfeed btw?!

AnythingNotEverything Thu 25-Jul-13 12:03:26

LostMySocks - fear not! You can wear undetected bras as long as they fit properly!

I think if you don't breastfed, your milk still comes in, so have a crop top ready for those couple of days as you'll grow at least a cup size, but then the milk will just go away as you don't use it.

RunningBear78 Thu 25-Jul-13 14:12:07

Mine grew a cup size every month from about 6 weeks in. I went from a 32c and at 32 weeks now a 38E. I think my boobs stopped growing about 24 weeks or so, but they seem to change every week and I now swap between about 4 bras of totally different sizes.

I'm a little scared about what might happen post birth, but have gone for some of the Emma Jane nursing bras at a 34 size which I can currently get into and which should fit pretty much any eventuality post-birth ... I hope.

Also, invest in some bra extenders. I only discovered them recently, but they might extend the life of some of the bras as the ribs expand.

chattychattyboomba Thu 25-Jul-13 14:21:50

Pre pregnancy bus size 34A. Breast feeding bust size 36E. Yes. E.
use lots of bio oil and make sure you have a bra properly fitted.
It's different for everyone but mine got humongous.
Post baby I'm a 36C.

foolssilver Thu 25-Jul-13 19:36:09

oh dear...it looks like I need to face facts and head to Bravissimo and John Lewis on Saturday to get measured properly and have a nosy.

Also had a bad M&S experience Rosenip when I bought my last 2 size bigger bra so will avoid there I think.

I'm now panicking they won't return to normal afterwards and I'll be stuck with ginormous boobs forever!

maggiethemagpie Thu 25-Jul-13 21:31:36

My boobs never returned to normal after I had my first son. I found some old bras recently and they looked so small (I was a 36B then so hardly tiny). I don't think they'd fit round half of me now. My mum's boobs didn't go back to normal after having kids either - we both have massive boobs now. Neither of us breastfed either.
Good that you're checking out John Lewis be sure to ask to see the Bravado range. JL trumps over M and S any day, I wasted money on M and S maternity bras that only fit me for about 2 minutes, I won't be buying bras there again. Never tried bravissimo myself. Good luck!

chattychattyboomba Thu 25-Jul-13 22:35:32

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I think the expectation that everything will return to normal is unfair and unrealistic. For those who say 'oh but my friend Maria blahblah blah and she's had 2 kids' etc. ignore! comparing does zero good. Things will change. Some people are incredibly lucky (or have incredible amounts of money for personal trainers, nannies, dieticians, beauticians, plastic surgeons etc etc). Try not to be hard on yourself. Things will change, but you will still be every bit as beautiful if not simply for the fact that you created a life! I wish people would have been more honest with me! It wouldn't have taken me 2 years to grieve my 'looks'. I now realise it was just a shock and like any change needs some adjusting.
That being said boobs are annoying and get in the way so from a practical point of view i understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now