Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Home birth for first timer?

(27 Posts)
Babybump26 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:50:38

Hi, I apologise now if this is a stupid question -

Is it possible to opt for a home birth with your first or do the professionals recommend it take place in hospital?

Sashabella0 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:52:20

My midwife is suggesting a home birth. I can decide when it happens. I'm due today! Will see how it goes. It's my first by the way.

Babybump26 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:53:28

Good luck! Hopefully you'll meet your bundle of joy soon, look forward to hearing about it smile

Celia1978 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:30:56

I had my first at home (at my midwife's suggestion).

meditrina Wed 24-Jul-13 20:38:04

It is alwayspossible to optf or a home birth.

If you have never laboured before, then there may be some concern expressed about whether you will copewi limited options for pain relief. But those concerns should not be a show-stopper. Of course, if there are problems during PG, there may be impeccable reasons why hospital birth is recommended and you can change plans if (and only if) that happens.

But you do need to really think about things like transfer time to hospital should a problem emerge during labour or immediately neo-natally. Home birth does not, of course, make it any jot more likely that there will be a problem, but you need to have considered the "what ifs" so you know you are comfortable with your decision whatever happens.

Babybump26 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:03:27

I really want a water birth and am thinking of the options as there's only one available at the hospital if its not already in use.

The hospital is 7 miles away, but I guess it is a concern if something was wrong with me or baby that needed further medical attention.

I had a home birth with my first. Way I saw it was that that MW would be with me from a fairly early stage of labour so any problems would be spotted early (compared to labouring at home on my own and arriving at hospital in transition). I did it with natal hypnotherapy and a birth pool only, not even gas and air. It was an amazing experience and would happily do it again.

MrsHY1 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:08:15

Hello
I'm opting for a home birth with my first (assuming there will be no complications observed later down the line). Statistically speaking, you're actually less likely to need an intervention if you're at home- theory being that you're more comfortable/relaxed which helps nature take its course. But also, first time mums are more likely to need to transfer to hospital, either because labour doesn't progress or additional pain relief is requested. X

SkinnyDecaffGiraffe Wed 24-Jul-13 21:15:59

I had my first at home. It was fab though a long labour. Baby was massive but she was born without issue (almost 11lbs)

Had second at home last year and I wouldn't do it any other way now.

First births are generally longer so if you have a pool think about getting a heated one as I was in mine for 9hrs first time and it was rather tepid by the time I have birth despite Dh topping it up with hot water.

Babybump26 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:38:59

Thank you for your comments ladies.

I'm also planning on using the hypnobirthing techniques and feel at home would be a more relaxing environment smile

Bunnylion Wed 24-Jul-13 22:25:04

I'm home birthing with my first in a couple of weeks time.

I see it as I'll have my own midwife who will be able to pre-empt if I need to go to hospital in plenty of time.

I'll have my own birthing pool.

No one will be pressuring me to "speed things up" artificially as I'm not taking up a hospital bed.

I'll feel in control of my birth and not feel like a patient having the birth managed by strangers.

I'll have a cup of tea and eat whenever and what ever I want.

No contractions kneeling in the back if the car.

My DH will feel more comfortable.

I will feel more confident and comfortable.

Definitely research the statistics if you've not already, homebirths are statistically safer, less traumatic and calmer for mum as baby.

Good luck!

Babybump26 Wed 24-Jul-13 22:30:50

Thanks buunylion. Good luck to you also smile

changechangechange Wed 24-Jul-13 22:34:45

I had my first at home and it was wonderful (and quick! Baby arrived 40 mins after mw). I would absolutely recommend it. Getting in your own shower after, then getting into your own bed with your new baby - bliss.

<wistful>

Babybump26 Wed 24-Jul-13 23:16:45

Your own home comforts is very appealing! Thank you for all the comments, think I shall look into it more and speak to my midwife when I see her in a couple of weeks smile

emsyj Wed 24-Jul-13 23:21:49

I had a home birth using Hypnobirthing for DD2 having been too scared to try it with DD1 and it was amazing, a fantastic and positive (if hard work) experience. I don't plan to have any more children but if I did, I would never go to hospital again - home birth all the way for me.

crikeybadger Thu 25-Jul-13 07:43:36

I have had all of my babies at home and all have been amazing experiences. There is a very good website which you may have found already at homebirth.org, also a Facebook page called something like homebirthers and hopefuls.

JRmumma Thu 25-Jul-13 09:55:50

If you are low risk then home birth is fine. Don't think id do it first time as im a bit of a worrier, but if its what you want to do then go for it.

workingtitle Thu 25-Jul-13 10:00:53

I'm planning a HB for my first (due October). Our area have a high rate of home births and the midwives suggested it to me at booking in - do you know what service provision is like in your area? I get continuity of care, so seeing the same midwife now who will (hopefully) deliver my boy.

I'm expecting a relatively slow labour as it's my first, so like the idea of being able to potter around in lots of different rooms at home, go into the birth pool, be outside etc, whatever I feel I need to do. And I think my DH will be more relaxed and feel more 'useful'.

We also have a home birth group, run by NCT, that meets monthly - you may have similar? Worth having a look online.

JoniR Thu 25-Jul-13 10:15:32

I'm glad that I saw this thread. I'm expecting my first and would really like a home birth. My local hospital actively encourages people to have home births if they are low risk, but I had assumed that this didn't apply to me as it's my first. I shall now look into it properly. Thanks ladies smile

spiderlight Thu 25-Jul-13 10:19:11

I had my first at home with the full support of my midwives. Best decision I ever made!

Threewindmills Thu 25-Jul-13 10:20:08

I wouldn't do it (and I am speaking as someone who had done hypnobirthing, was low risk and wanted a very natural birth using water). I was a text book case up until the time when I started having very serious complications and they needed to get me into theatre very very quickly. If I had been in the position where an ambulance needed to be called, the outcome might have been different.

Please think about the risks

ohforfoxsake Thu 25-Jul-13 10:41:54

I had my first in hospital (against my instincts) and I had to be very much in control of it so as not to conform to hospital protocol. The next three were at home and I had amazing care.

I would say definitely prepare for a HB if you think you want to, but also know you can opt for a hospital birth at any time.

Babybump26 Thu 25-Jul-13 10:43:15

I guess that is the biggest concern and the thought that my OH is very worried about, if something went wrong and either me or baby needed further medical help.

I guess if I'm honest, I'm very nervous about giving birth and want to explore all options that may reduce my anxieties about it, the thought of being at home would be more relaxing etc.

Definitely something that needs a lot of thought and consideration, thank you for sharing your experiences.

workingtitle Thu 25-Jul-13 11:03:50

Have a read about transferring on the homebirth website, here

How far are you from a hospital? You will have two midwives with you and they can deal with the vast majority of problems themselves, and I think are generally extra cautious with first timers (hence the higher transfer rate?)

I think these are the kinds of concerns that your own midwife can help allay - sure they'd be happy to discuss. They might also be able to give you some local stats on outcomes of home v hospital births?

Oh, and the birthplace study is well worth a read: here and a nice summary on NHS choices here, but bear in mind your local context

kd83 Thu 25-Jul-13 11:28:20

My midwives are very keen on pushing home births particularly as I am a very low risk case with good weight and BP and no family history of complications (I'm 29 wks with my first). But I have decided its not for me.

We are a good 15 mins from the hospital at the best of times, and I am too much of a worrier and as my body has never been through labour before I have no idea what could go wrong. When my mum had my sister her shoulders got a bit stuck (because she was so bloody big and my mum is tiny) and the thought of something like that happening and having to be rushed to hospital makes it too risky for me.

I am in a fortunate position however that my hospital has a separate midwife led unit which is a half-way option between home and hospital but on the hospital site so i am hoping to go there and have a water birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now