Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What and how much are you eating per day?

(50 Posts)
SeriousStuff Tue 23-Jul-13 09:45:44

I'm 28+3 today and feel that I'm now absolutely ballooning! I've kept up with my exercises and walking (as much as I can and/or when the temperature isn't too high!) but I'm worried that I'm eating way too much.

I thought maybe writing down what I eat might help and just wondered what you're eating in a day at the moment (honest answers please!)

Yesterday was a fairly good day as I had:

* Large bowl of cereal
* Soup with 4 pieces of buttered toast
* Bolognese (2 large servings!)

But no snacking for once!

On Sunday, I had:

* A bowl of cereal
* Welsh rarebit
* Roast belly pork with all the trimmings
* Half a tub of ice cream
* Fab lollipop
* 2 pieces of buttered toast

eek!

Champagnebubble Wed 24-Jul-13 19:00:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Champagnebubble Wed 24-Jul-13 19:03:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I'm 11 weeks tomorrow. I've put on 1.5 kg so far.

Today I ate:

2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 slice toast
1 slice toast with honey and butter
2 slices cheese on toast
Some vanilla Vienetta
An apple
A few mouthfuls of dinner, which was sausages, courgettes, mushrooms and halloumi done in the oven but DH overdid the mustard sauce and I was nearly sick
Some more Vienetta and a piece of chocolate

God, that looks awful having written it down. No wonder I feel tired and ill!.Going to make a concerted effort to eat more veg and less toast.

Boosiehs Wed 24-Jul-13 20:20:09

I'm 36 weeks and have put on 6kg. (About 13.8lbs). I think! I was mega overweight before I got pregnant, so have not really put on much at all. That and giving up drinking! smile

CheeseFondueRocks Wed 24-Jul-13 20:30:57

I'm 14 weeks, no weight gain yet, still 1kg less than before BFP due to sickness and today I have had (so far):

1 slice of German Wholewheat Bread with butter and honey
Glass of Multivitamin juice
2 Breaded Camemberts with Cranberry Sauce, 1/4 slice German WWbread
Orange
Yoghurt
Bowl of Leek & Butterbean Soup
Nectarine
2 Kiwi Fruits
1 slice M&S New York Style Cheesecake

Am just coming out the other end of Hyperemesis, so my food choices are still a little weird. Am hoping to improve my diet in the next couple of weeks.

CheeseFondueRocks Wed 24-Jul-13 20:37:22

Oh, and waving back at BabyLabyrinth!

CheeseFondueRocks Wed 24-Jul-13 20:38:49

And, and this is my last add-on, I'm also still breastfeeding DD (17 months) through this pregnancy and the Hyperemesis so I guess I'll put on weight slower.

mustardtomango Wed 24-Jul-13 22:43:08

I've had...

Mini wheatabix
Croissant
2 x cereal bars
Cheese salad sandwich
Thai noodles & spring rolls
Chocolate ice cream

I'm at 25 weeks and so far put on 8kg...

Peartreepeartree Wed 24-Jul-13 23:23:40

Half a tub of ice cream! It looked so good until then ;)

Amibambini Thu 25-Jul-13 12:42:08

16 weeks. No weight gain.
Yesterday..
Raisin bagel with cream cheese
Ham coleslaw sandwich, crisps and juice
Some slices of mango and pieces of coconut
BBQ chicken breast with grilled veggies, rice salad and some frozen yogurt (at a friends lovely BBQ', was very jealous of the goopy cheese that got brought out!).

I vary between very healthy veggie meals (partner and I have been eating a lot of lentil or couscous and green veg salads + cheese for dinner recently due to the heat), but the day before yesterday I ate a greggs steak bake for lunch, followed by a mint magnum. Yum.

Swimming regularly and cycling daily.

Quite surprised at the lack of vegetables in a lot of the above posts.

SeriousStuff Thu 25-Jul-13 13:00:40

peartree I know - I'm not the sort of person who can have just one scoop!

Been doing a bit better this week (I think this thread helps!) but at 1am this morning I had a cheese and tomato sandwich...just so hungry!

forevergreek Thu 25-Jul-13 13:26:09

No currently pregnant but ate loads when I was and didn't gain much so I think different metabolisms etc

At 39 weeks, day before ds2 was born I recorded a food diary of:
Breakfast : granola, Greek yogurt, banana, berries
Snack: pecan plait
Lunch: carbonara with garlic bread, sorbet ( in restaurant)
Snack: half a large bag Doritos!
Snack: tub of raspberries and
Dinner: seabass , new potatoes and veg
Snack : an entire large bar of green and blacks choc!

After those mammoth meals, ds2 was born at 4pm the next day, and I was 9 stone 8. Ds2 was 7.8 lb of that, so was back to 8.5stone when we left 3 days later. ( sorry!)

Amibambini Thu 25-Jul-13 13:30:49

Seriousstuff - from the looks of things, if that is representative of your general diet I'd say that it does look quite high in fat and carbs, which will result in increased weight, especially if you are feeling hungry and using it to fill up.

If you are concerned about ballooning I'd try swap out some of the toast, butter and cheese for fruit (bananas are pretty filling), more veg, like carrot sticks with hoummous, low sugar muesli with yogurt for brekkie. Maybe every second day or something. I love toast and butter but that stuff is pretty much empty calories, straight to the arse (for me anyway).
Try and also fill up with loads more vegetable with your mains, instead of extra pasta or potatoes.

Really sorry if I'm coming across as one of this boring food nags, but I figured you wouldn't be posting if you weren't concerned about it. I know it's pretty easy to think fuck it, I'm eating for two, but really all you need is an extra 200 cals per day in the third trimester, which is the equivalent of a piece of toast with peanut butter, or a bowl of cereal. It's not much at all. The rest just turns into extra, unnecessary weight gain.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

EeyoreIsh Thu 25-Jul-13 13:36:54

hmmm, ami I would normally eat eight portions of fruit and veg a day. But with ms I've struggled to eat anything that isn't totally bland. And most veg and fruit makes me retch so I've accepted that I'll eat what I can and when I can eat better I will.

Yesterday I had:

three pieces of toast, Marmite and peanut butter
3 bean salad
1 roll with bread and Marmite
porridge with raisins.

so hardly any fruit and veg but I just about managed to keep all that down.

EeyoreIsh Thu 25-Jul-13 13:36:54

hmmm, ami I would normally eat eight portions of fruit and veg a day. But with ms I've struggled to eat anything that isn't totally bland. And most veg and fruit makes me retch so I've accepted that I'll eat what I can and when I can eat better I will.

Yesterday I had:

three pieces of toast, Marmite and peanut butter
3 bean salad
1 roll with bread and Marmite
porridge with raisins.

so hardly any fruit and veg but I just about managed to keep all that down.

I a still feeling quite nauseaous, I threw up last night at the sight of raw chicken. Today I have had:

Breakfast: Half a banana, one slice whole grain toast.

Lunch: 1 small veggie taco, 1tsp sour cream and some lettuce.

Dinner tonight is supposed to be pasta bake...I've only been managing very small dinners though, literally cereal bowl sized dinners rather than platefuls.

I ahve found I am very thirsty and drink quite a lot of water so this is probably helping me stay fuller. The bloating I've been getting eased off last night thankfully!

Amibambini Thu 25-Jul-13 14:12:31

Hey there Eeyoreish - oh gosh, yes when you are knocked out with ms whatever you can get down is whatever you can get down! All my little sister could stomach for three months were chicken nuggets and chicken sandwiches! She was super worried the baby wasn't getting the right nutrition but her doctor said that as long as she was eating something, and hopefully keeping some pregnancy vitamins down, the baby will be fine. She's back to normal now, eating a wide variety of foods from around 16 weeks. (She's 6 weeks further along than me, so exciting!).

Part of me is cringing at my 'eat more veggies please' finger wag, but I've just seen too many girlfriend lately binge out during pregnancy and then feel very uncomfortably stuck in much bigger bodies, that takes ages to shift because you've got way more important things to deal with, like a little new person. Now this throws up the issue of we should be just loving our shapes and bodies the way they are, which I agree with, however if you end up being unhappy with your body because it's carrying too much fat, which happened to be caused by eating too much fat.. Well. Try not to eat so much fat. This last para is not directed at you Eeyoreish, just more a general eyeroll/explanation at myself.

But I hope your ms passes soon!

CheeseFondueRocks Thu 25-Jul-13 14:24:41

Amibambini,

I totally get what you're saying. I'm on DC2 so appreciate how hard it can be to lose any pregnancy weight postpartum. I had about 7 kg to lose last time but my body held on to all of that while breastfeeding until DD also started some solids. Then the weight just disappeared without me having to do anything.

I think a lot of people who have posted and are lacking in the fruit and veg department, are still quite early on in their pregnancies so nausea will be a big part. I count myself into that.

We could start some sort of supportive thread posting food diaries as I'm quite keen to get back to my old super healthy diet. Sadly, anything cooked with garlic or onions is still a big no-no for me so that excludes quite a lot of our regular meals. We're veggie, so pulses have always played a role.

FraggleRock77 Thu 25-Jul-13 14:28:01

18 Wks:
Weetabix semi skimmed milk
Low fat pasta micro meal
3 kiwi fruit
Beans on brown toast
Lots of water grin

Not too bad i think x

EeyoreIsh Thu 25-Jul-13 14:40:22

ami that's fine smile

I did manage some strawberries, blueberries, grapes and cucumber today grin that's more fruit than I've eaten in the last week.

SeriousStuff Thu 25-Jul-13 14:58:58

ami no, I think you're right. I'm definitely eating for convenience at the moment (without venturing over to processed/ready meals-type foods!). Bread is my weakness so if I can replace sandwiches for salad that might be a step in the right direction!

Amibambini Thu 25-Jul-13 16:42:54

Serious - Great! smile If salads leave you feeling hungry, mix in some pulses. I've been really enjoying puy lentils, they are super filling and tasty, slightly peppery, especially if they have been simmered (from dried) with some water with stock (powdered works for me).

I am doing quite well today, the nausea feeling has abated, not sure for how long, we shall see smile I didn't manage dinner last night, I was too tired and couldn't be bothered to eat!

I had a slice of soreen malt loaf for breakfast and just finished my lunch which was x4 tablespoons of three bean chilli and rice, with some lettuce and cucmber. I am now tucking into some very nice strawberries.

I can only manage quite small portions at the moment, lunch was small but I still feel quite full. Apologies that I a using this place as a food diary, it helps e to really take note of what I am eating.

Dinner will be my portion of pasta bake that I didnt eat last night, with some salad.

Sashabella0 Fri 26-Jul-13 13:04:30

I'm 40+2

Yesterday I had

Large bowl of branflakes with skimmed milk
Cup of tea

1/4 leftover homemade quiche
Mug of gazpacho

Salmon
Roast potatoes
Asparagus
Broccoli
Yoghurt

Handful peanut m&ms
A couple of ice lollies

Today

2 slices toast
2 fried eggs
1/2 avocado
Tea

3 clementines

About to have lunch of

More left over quiche
Roast potatoes
Rest of avocado

Dinner is out at an Italian so like to be naughty. It is my anniversary though and probably my last chance before DC1 arrives to eat out

I've gone from 8 1/2 stone to just over 12 stone. Hurry up baby!!

parttimer79 Fri 26-Jul-13 13:17:23

I'm 38 weeks and my eating has varied wildly from "can only eat toast and even then I'm sick" til about 16 weeks, "I shall eat everything in sight" til about 32 weeks, "Hmm I'm running out of space so shall eat little and often" til now.

I had BMI of 23 before pregnancy and have gained 2 stone, most of which was between 28 and 34 weeks for some reason.

Today I had
Granola and fruit
an apple
beans (and cheese) on granary toast

and we're off for curry later.

Everyone keeps telling me that I'm all bump, the is blatantly not true - my thighs, arse and upper arms are decidedly meatier than pre-pregnancy. I'm hoping this shifts quite quickly after baby arrives as I feel like even my face is fat at the moment sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now