Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Why can't a 20 week scan be delayed a bit?

(19 Posts)
YouAreMyRain Mon 22-Jul-13 19:33:18

I have my 20week re scan on weds, at the first attempt they could only do half the measurements because baby was too wriggly.

I am now 23 weeks and they can't delay it until I get back from holiday because I'll be 24/25 weeks and that's too late. The problem is I have no one at all to come with me due to holidays/work/child are.

I am worried about going alone. Why can't they delay it for a week or two longer?

recall Mon 22-Jul-13 19:35:24

In case they find a problem that needs addressing…24/25 weeks may be too late to be able to deal with it …?

NarkyNamechanger Mon 22-Jul-13 19:36:19

What's the reason for not going alone?

YouAreMyRain Mon 22-Jul-13 19:41:05

Erm.."needs addressing" and "deal with it" (gulp) does that mean a possible termination? hmm

I have to go alone because no family locally, all my friends are either on holiday or looking after their dc or working. DP came to the first 20 week scan but can't make this re scan due to shifts/work.

puddock Germany Mon 22-Jul-13 19:41:58

Because if the fetal anomaly scan (which is what the "20 week scan" is) reveals serious problems or abnormalities, you might come to the decision to terminate the pregnancy - which gets more complicated into your third trimester?

YouAreMyRain Mon 22-Jul-13 19:42:06

I don't want to go alone in case they find a problem, I'm a bit over emotional and wobbly about it blush

NarkyNamechanger Mon 22-Jul-13 19:46:17

Well ok. Everyone is emotional and scared and praying for good news but you've had half of it done, I'd imagine anything very serious would have been picked up.

My own 3rd dc scan had to be repeated also as they couldn't find all the heart chambers. I had to return a week later alone but I'd have preferred that than they missed the chance to check it altogether.

puddock Germany Mon 22-Jul-13 19:46:54

Try not to worry though (easy to say I know) - I would think the sonographer would have spotted major stuff when they had the first go at the anomaly scan, so you've a very big chance of all being fine.
And it's not only about termination; they might identify a lesser problem with the baby which could be addressed with medical or surgical treatment?

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Jul-13 19:47:39

It is a lot easier to see things developmentally at 20 weeks, as a bigger baby means things can't be seen easier.

Also, as everyone else has said, if there are issues, you need time to think about them. If you leave it 'til 24/25 weeks, you won't have that time - or any decisions to make. It'd be too late.

Delaying it really isn't an option. It'll suck going on your own, but it's the best thing to do. There were quite a few people on their own last time I went, they were talking in the waiting room and it was very friendly. Not the same, I know, but if there is really no way that anyone can come with you, it's just something you'll have to do.

All the best.

K8Middleton Mon 22-Jul-13 19:50:49

You don't have to have any scans if you don't want to. A friend of mine had no scans because she had decided she wouldn't terminate regardless of any conditions.

I had all the scans because that was my choice.

YouAreMyRain Mon 22-Jul-13 19:57:35

I couldn't bear a termination, 12 years of infertility and I'm 40 yrs old now. Don't think I would cope emotionally. Still it's better to be informed

Could you book one privately to fit in with when someone can accompany you?? Might be worth it to lessen the stress on yourself. Of course, the baby may still refuse to cooperate position wise!
And I agree with pp who says they would probably have seen anything serious at their first attempt.

Good luck.

K8Middleton Mon 22-Jul-13 20:04:38

I can understand that. I think it may be worth asking if termination cut off dates are their concern or if there is another reason not to wait? Then you can make an informed decision.

The chances are everything is fine but it won't hurt to explore your options.

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Jul-13 20:54:19

It's not necessarily a termination - the chances of that are really, really slim, as the sonographer has already had a look.

It's more if the baby needs any treatment etc, it's easier to see early on.

maggiethemagpie Tue 23-Jul-13 13:28:13

I would suggest going private if you can get someone to accompany you that way as you will be able to go at a time to suit you eg weekends/evenings. I 'm not sure which part of the country you live in, but this is my screening centres operate in several cities in the North and do a 20 week scan for around £100 (I don't work for them, I just had mine done with them and they were really good so they deserve a rec!). They also have a consultant phone line so if there are any problems you can discuss with a consultant pretty quick not have to wait to see a doc on the NHS.
I think most of the private scanning centres will do this scan though, for varying cost.
Its not compulsory to have the 20 week scan, eg if you wouldn't terminate in any circumstances or just don't want it (for millennia women didn't have this scan!) so are you sure you definitely want it?

YouAreMyRain Wed 24-Jul-13 13:57:58

Thanks for helping me de-stress the other day. I had the rescan today. All fine x

ovenbun Wed 24-Jul-13 14:53:28

'You don't have to have any scans if you don't want to. A friend of mine had no scans because she had decided she wouldn't terminate regardless of any conditions.'

Hmm...20 week scan is not about termination or just detecting disabilities/syndromes, there are lots of possible complications in pregnancy which can be managed through closer monitoring and sometimes early delivery, or interventions/medicines whilst baby is in the womb......20 week scans pick up on growth problems, some heart conditions (which may need immediate management at delivery, and they save thousands of baby's lives, and a fair few mummy's too..although complications are rare, it is always, always safer to be scanned and to have full antenatal care.....it really saddens me when I hear about people not accessing this care, a lot of the time I know they just don't realise what the scan is therefore/how much it can help. If it was properly explained I think a lot more people would have it.

OP it is scary going on your own but this scan is about keeping you and baby safe, so please go for it before holiday smile

K8Middleton Wed 24-Jul-13 15:19:01

Yes I know all that thank you, nor did I suggest it was the only reason for the scan (a pretty big one is to check for placenta previa for example). I was repeating what one person, my friend said.

If you read the rest of my posts you will see I advise asking for more information from the hospital and then making a decision. You'll also note both op and I had the scans so that's two less women to be saddened about hmm

ovenbun Wed 24-Jul-13 17:14:00

Sorry, didn't mean to cause any upset...I think I felt your friends view could possibly imply that scans are only there to detect syndromes/conditions...nothing against you at all as I read you had yours..and nothing really against your friend, it does just make me a bit sad because I think lots of people aren't really sure what it's for..I have heard lots of people who agree with your friend..and maybe don't have the full facts...it seems there is a massive movement against receiving antenatal care at the moment, which just confuses me, as the care is there to save our lives and the lives of our babies smile
Yes just saw OP's post ...great smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now