Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

anyone used a bednest?

(19 Posts)
eminoxford Mon 22-Jul-13 11:38:09

hey there,
I am thinking of buying a Bednest (bedside co-sleeper) - maybe second hand off ebay (even then they seem to be £170) - has anyone else on here actually used one? Pros? Cons? Worth the extra money (considering I already have a moses basket and stand from DS)...

duende Mon 22-Jul-13 11:41:19

We have just had one delivered from the nct, we're only renting it for 6 months, it was about £100 with a new mattress. DP hasn't put it together yet, baby is due next week so he'll do it soon. We do have a Moses basket that we used with DS but I'm planning on using it downstairs during the day.

Rosenip Mon 22-Jul-13 13:10:09

eminoxford - we hare planning on buying one, from the German Amazon, they are about 1/2 the price! Could even be sold back on UK Amazon after use for a profit I would imagine smile

lollypopsicle Mon 22-Jul-13 13:26:24

renting 1 from NCT too. I love it! bigger than a moses basket so should last the full 6 months before we move dd to her cot in her room. It's also very portable and come with a bag. We took it to a static caravan last week.
it's great for keeping baby close at night but safe. She settles well in it too.

eminoxford Mon 22-Jul-13 13:49:04

Babybay cosleeper also looks good if anyone has experience of these?

I had read some reviews that the mattress you get when you rent the Bednest wasn't that nice - if anyone can vouch for quality of the mattress I'd be grateful...

SnoopySnoopyDoggDogg Mon 22-Jul-13 13:54:27

I bought a JohnLewis Troll bedside crib from ebay for DD2. It was/is amazing, so so much better than the moses basket I pesevered with for too many long months with dd1 before giving up and fretfully co sleeping. Settling her during the night, night feeds, early morning waking, all a million times better with her right next to me, she definitely took comfort in it and I just felt that is was a better approach than her being, or at least feeling, alone in a basket but I worried an awful lot less than when fully cosleeping with dd1.

She's 10 months now and in her big cot but I still have the Troll crib attached to the bed for the extra space it gives us when everyone (Me/DH/both DDs) are in bed together on a Sunday morning.

Really recommend, doesn't have to be expensive but either way worth the investment.

bingeddybongo Mon 22-Jul-13 14:01:04

rosenip Please would you mind linking to the one you are looking at? Am interested smile

BearsInMotion Mon 22-Jul-13 14:02:21

I had a bednest because I have mobility problems which I expected to get worse after birth. In fact I got better but it was still the Best. Thing. Ever. Could feed DD easily, check on her without getting out of bed, and it was lovely seeing her smiley face right next to me in the morning.

They are expensive but for me it was worth it, and DD is now 18 months and the bednest is waiting for it's third inhabitant, due any day! (Friends DC, not mine!).

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 22-Jul-13 14:06:28

We have a bednest. Loved it and used it when DD was tiny although I'm afraid it ended up being the gateway to full on co sleeping for us! grin

The mattress it comes with is quite thin (reckon about an inch) and plastic covered. I'd recommend airing it for a few days as it smells a bit plasticy when it arrives. I decided it was fine but if you don't like it you can get an organic posh sprung one - I think Little Green Sheep do them- about £100 though.

Doodledumdums Mon 22-Jul-13 14:07:16

I rented one too and loved it! Our DS only lasted in it until 5mo because he is a really long baby, but most would last a lot longer. I will definitely get one again next time, best baby product ever!!

jennimoo Mon 22-Jul-13 14:13:37

I'm thinking of renting one for when DC2 appears in a few weeks.

Sorry to hijack but did anyone find their baby was too close and noisy for them to sleep well? I remember all the newborn gurgles and stuff were pretty noisy even in the basket...

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 14:14:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Theodorarosepetal Mon 22-Jul-13 14:17:55

Is there a minimum height - our bed is very low

jennimoo Mon 22-Jul-13 15:13:21

The info on bed height is here:
www.bednest.com/FAQs

You can rent direct from bednest and they do 30 day money back guarantee whether buying or renting!

Theodorarosepetal Mon 22-Jul-13 16:48:57

Thank you for the info. Still a long way off from even thinking about buying anything. I think this is the one purchase I will be insisting on if I am blessed enough to have a healthy ongoing pregnancy.

jennimoo Mon 22-Jul-13 16:55:04

I'm 35 weeks so need to decide pretty soon, especially as DD was early...

I hope you'll soon be needing one smile

TruJay Mon 22-Jul-13 20:16:28

I've never even heard of these things but they sound pretty cool, I'm intrigued so off to google!

CraftyKate Tue 23-Jul-13 11:38:11

We're hoping to use a Gulliver cot from IKEA - it's £60 and one side can come off. www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90115997/ We're thinking if we adjust it so that it's exactly the same height as our bed and secure it like a normal co-sleeper, it should work fine.

There's an optional guardrail, which could be a good safety feature to add assuming we're still co-sleeping once the baby can roll. Plus the whole thing also works as a stand alone cot up to age 3 or so....

Anyone tried or heard anything about this (or any other) DIY option? I'm really hoping it's going to work as it should be a lot cheaper and longer lasting than the purpose-built co-sleepers....

jennimoo Tue 23-Jul-13 11:50:25

You should search the forums as a few people have given full details of how they adjusted ikea cots to be co sleepers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now