Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did u find out the sex of your first baby?

(43 Posts)
blondebaby111 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:59:56

One minute we want to know, then we don't, then we do and atm we don't again!! Its our first baby, just wondered did u find out with your first??

The advantages are, I hate calling baby 'baby' or it and also there are lots of things in just pink or blue, no neutral colours!!

BUT......

It must be so exciting to just carry on guessing and after a long labour the surprise must be fantastic!! What to do, what to do!!! We have six weeks to decide shock

PinkApple86 Thu 18-Jul-13 13:02:33

We found out at 20wk scan - a boy. Very glad we did as we have now picked his name and painted his room and got lots of outfits, as lots of shops don't have a lot of neutral stuff. It's also made him feel like a real person to us, and not just a mystery baby. It's allowed us to bond with him in our heads. Our opinion was that we'd find out eventually so why not find out before the birth so we can prepare.

Futterby Thu 18-Jul-13 13:28:17

We did, I'm 20+5 with my first and we found out yesterday that we're having a boy! If you've got a preference either way, I would say it's probably best not to find out but we totally didn't and it's just given me even more to look forward to! smile

marriedinwhiteagain Thu 18-Jul-13 13:41:11

ours are older 18 and 15. we didn't know and i cannot begin to explain the utter joy and delight i had finding out when they were born.

notso Thu 18-Jul-13 14:14:06

No, I wanted DH to tell me the sex of our babies not a random sonographer.

My friend didn't find out on her first and second (boys) as our hospital didn't do it but did on her third (a girl) and she said she wished she hadn't as it felt a bit flat phoning people and "saying she's fine, she ways 6lb.2oz" as they'd announced the sex, the name and she had a planned c-section so we all knew the birth date as well. Although everyone had made a massive fuss when they announced the sex she said she'd rather have been saying "it's a girl, we've called her X" IYSWIM

I don't really get the not wanting a surprise thing, surely it's a surprise whenever you find out confused

notso Thu 18-Jul-13 14:15:33

Shocking weighs not ways!!

fluffandnonsense Thu 18-Jul-13 14:22:09

I wasn't sure if I wanted to know or not with our first and the hospital were brilliant. The lady who did the scan wrote it down on a piece of paper and put it into a sealed envelope for us. I got to the car before I ripped it open and inside it said 'Your baby boy says hi!!' It was a lovely moment and I really loved calling him by his name for the rest of the pregnancy. grin

DramaAlpaca Thu 18-Jul-13 14:25:13

We wanted to know the sex of our first but the sonographer wouldn't tell us.

It was hospital policy not to say, but I asked her if she could tell & her reply was: "I've got more important things to do than search around looking for willies!"

As it turned out DC1 was indeed a boy, and I was absolutely stunned and utterly thrilled as I had a slight preference for a boy but had convinced myself I was having a girl.

We also wanted to find out for the next two DC so booked in at a different hospital where we knew they would tell us.

elQuintoConyo Thu 18-Jul-13 14:27:34

We found out the sex and I cried! The nurse was worried that it wasn't the sex I'd wanted - not at all, it just made things that more 'real'.
I couldn't have left it as a surprise, being oregnant was surprise enough!

I'm getting all emotional remembering it <feeling silly emoticon>

MortifiedAdams Thu 18-Jul-13 14:29:50

We didnt find out. It wasnt necessary to.know,.in.our case. I also wanted dh to tell.me after delivering.

This pg we will find out (practical needs plus dh wpjld like to).

rowtunda Thu 18-Jul-13 15:01:52

I'm 28weeks pregnant with DC2 and haven't found out with either pregnancy. I just don't want to, if I did I would decide on a name now and everything would be expected which I find a little bit dull. Much prefer to find out on the day they are born, adds to the anticipation for me.

I think maybe my DH would have found out this time if I was keen but I wasn't!

It does get a bit dull buying neutral clothes but I didn't really buy many newborn clothes anyway and DC2 is going to get hand me downs from DS what ever the gender

Rosenip Thu 18-Jul-13 15:21:15

We found out on Monday - we wanted to start to get to know her better and plan the nursery and buy a few gender specific things...

my mum didn't agree. in her day blah blah...

Ragwort Thu 18-Jul-13 15:24:23

No, we wanted the 'surprise' too - although I had to have an EMCS and was completely out of it - when I eventually came round I asked the Doctor on duty as DH and the baby had disappeared. DH had told them not to tell me as he wanted to share the news but I was so anxious that the Dr told me smile - not that I really cared who told me grin.

Ragwort Thu 18-Jul-13 15:25:41

Rosenip - I am probaby as old as your mother - quite understand her view grin.

We found out, I'm far too impatient to wait till the end! I think it's still a surprise whether you find out halfway through or at the end anyway. Plus after a really difficult first half of pregnancy, it was like a treat and a real boost to find out.

Iwish Thu 18-Jul-13 16:59:02

We found out with my DS who is 22 months and now I'm pregnant with no2 and my 20 week scan is in 4 weeks so we will find out then too xx

moanymandy Thu 18-Jul-13 17:38:23

we found out with ds1 and also this time. although I couldn't make my mind up this time and in the end couldn't wait!

Although I didn't tell anyone any names last time as wanted something to announce, and I don't know why but I find it weird when people refer to unborn babies as 'little jonny' etc.

this time I'm not even choosing a name until he arrives so will have another name to announce at least smile

Queazy Thu 18-Jul-13 17:39:37

My husband wouldn't let me. I've bought more neutral coloured stuff than you could shake a stick at, and still wish I knew. A surprise is a surprise...it doesn't become even more surprising because you wait a few months. As you can see, I'm still not done with that argument with DH!

Queazy Thu 18-Jul-13 17:40:16

My husband wouldn't let me. I've bought more neutral coloured stuff than you could shake a stick at, and still wish I knew. A surprise is a surprise...it doesn't become even more surprising because you wait a few months. As you can see, I'm still not done with that argument with DH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now