Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Paranoid about Cervix Shortening - how would I know?

(7 Posts)
Kelly1814 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:04:37

your previous surgeries are grounds to ask for one, really push for it.

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 18-Jul-13 09:37:28

So scary :s I don't even know what counts as 'normal' cervix discomfort.

But can I really ask my midwife for an internal with no real solid grounds for needing one?

Sleepthief Thu 18-Jul-13 07:54:35

I have a very short cervix due to an operation to remove abnormal cells. It wasn't picked up until my second pregnancy, so knew nothing about it with DS1. He was born at 39 weeks (the op was when I was 17, so was definitely short during that PG), but even a diagnosed short cervix doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister.

FWIW i am now 14 weeks with DC4 (babies 2 + 3 delivered at 39+ weeks, after a course of progesterone) and found out on Monday that my cervix is 23mm shock, so already on progesterone with fortnightly scans and the prospect of a stitch if it doesnt stabilise.

It is definitely worth speaking to your MW about getting an internal scan smile.

Kelly1814 Thu 18-Jul-13 06:11:34

Hi boymeetsworld

To know for sure you would have to ask them to measure your cervix via a scan (internal most accurate).

A 'normal' cervix is around 5 or 6 cms. 2.5 or less is considered short.

Mine is .5 cm and 2 due to multiple lletz procedures and I had a cerclage stitch at 14 weeks, I've also been having BH since 17 weeks, like you I thought they were the baby.

Likelihood is your cervix is ok but you should ask he, to measure it.

If you come over to the ante natal club board there is a 'short cervix club' thread with lots of us with cervix issues and stitches. It's very useful and supportive.

Best of luck and do feel free to ask anything. Pregnancy is a very stressful time for so many of us. All the best.

capecath Wed 17-Jul-13 22:59:39

I think it would be worth mentioning your concerns, at least, to your midwife - assume they are aware of your medical history? Have they measured your cervix at all? It may well be that you are just being paranoid! But I'd at least share with your midwife and perhaps she can do some extra checks for you.

FraggleRock77 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:44:52

Sorry to hear your stressing. No experience or knowledge but watching thread with interest. I'm sure someone will post soon x

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 17-Jul-13 22:41:42

I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but feeling really worried about the concept of cervical shortening.

It seems to be really quite common & I've got a number of risk factors - previous D&C for mc and one termination when young. Also had trauma to cervix via mirena coil.

But as the Drs don't check routinely, how the heck would I know until it's too late???

I keep symptom spotting - I have been getting lots of 'pushing' feelings against my cervix, almost like period starting. It's caused me to have a 'check' and I felt like my cervix was low, squishy and more open than usual (sorry TMI). I've also just learnt that what I thought was baby moving when tummy goes really hard is actually Beaton hicks (I'm 20 weeks)

Should I be worried? How would I know if I had this and is it down to me to push the drs to check or would they pick it up themselves if it was an issue? Thank you for advice / experiences

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now