Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breastfeeding pain while pg

(8 Posts)
agendabender Thu 18-Jul-13 20:42:15

I've just weaned DS (2y 10m) for this reason. I think his latch got lazy because of the lack of milk. If he had been younger I'd have grinned and borne it. I'm completely heartbroken, but he seems fine! I only refused once, because my breasts were sore. He gave each a kiss and asked to borrow my computer...

Read "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hillary Flower, published by LLL.

No tips from me either, I'm afraid, but I know your pain! I'm bf DD (14mo), and am ten weeks pregnant. It's been painful since five weeks. I still seem to have lots of milk, but she's cut down a lot. We only feed about four/five times a day now ... I really want to get to two years with her, so I'm really hoping it doesn't get much worse. I hate the nipple twiddling, too!

ZenGardener Thu 18-Jul-13 01:48:15

Thanks for the replies. Her latch seems ok, she has always been a bit of a barracuda feeder. I will give the nipple cream a go though. She often comfort feeds for a long time. I don't mind if she weans but she doesn't seem keen to stop. I do tell her to be gentle. She's a nipple twiddler so that annoys me too sometimes.

I might try emailing LLL in my area.

Lion5711 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:54:33

I've being in the same situation, I'm now 27 weeks an from about 18 it got very sore but k never refused. My son (2yrs) however seemed to find it a novelty so didn't actually suck properly and it's kin of finished apart from the odd try. I feel extremely sad about it as I had looked into tandem but who knows if this is his time then so be it!

MonstersDontCry Wed 17-Jul-13 14:23:15

Sorry I've just realised you have a DD and I've been saying DS. blush

MonstersDontCry Wed 17-Jul-13 14:22:35

Have you tried applying nipple cream? I had some left over from the last time I was pregnant which seemed to work a bit. Also check your DSs latch as toddlers seem to get a bit lazy and don't latch on as well, which can make it more uncomfortable for you.

There's a book by the LLL called adventures in tandem or something like that. It's a bit american-y but it's worth a read.

DIYandEatCake Wed 17-Jul-13 14:03:39

No tips I'm afraid, I'm 19 weeks and dd (2.3) has just stopped breastfeeding. I'd intended to carry on but there hardly seemed to be any milk any more, she was getting frustrated and just started asking less, and I have to admit I was relieved as it was so painful (she sucked harder and squirmed about more when she couldn't get much out too). For me the daytime nap one was the worst and for a few weeks I went out for a strategically timed walk with the pushchair so she'd fall asleep without wanting milk.
I still feel a bit sad about it, even though I know she's quite big - when I told her it was sore one evening (as it really was unbearable and I had to stop), she said 'poor mummy sore nipples, go doctors make it better?' [Sad] I've been trying not to blame the loss of milk on the new baby, just saying that there's getting less now as she's growing into a big girl, and agreeing that it's sad.
I know a few people who have carried on through pregnancy and tandem fed though, it definitely can be done if you want to.

ZenGardener Wed 17-Jul-13 13:42:02

DD is 2 years 2 months. I'm 18 weeks pg. she feeds a few times a day, mostly just before bed and nap time.

I know it is common to get sore nipples while breastfeeding while pregnant but I wondered if anyone had any tips or is it just a case of sucking it up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now