Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I am 10wks pregnant. Scare me into stopping smoking please.

(76 Posts)
JumpingJacks Mon 08-Jul-13 14:46:01

I stopped when I found out I was pg with dd1 and gave up for 5yrs.

Stupidly started again last year and have found out I am pregnant with dc3. I have dropped to one or two fags a day but need to stop. Now.

Tell me the worst. Tell me what I am doing to this poor baby. Make me stop.

LaChaiseVerte Mon 08-Jul-13 18:11:26

Only because you asked :

Your babies kidneys can have significantly less renal tubules than those of a nonsmoker's baby. Permanently, for life they can have poor renal function.

The SIDS stats are terrifying, and implicate smoking in many, many cases. Your risk of SIDS decreases amazingly if you don't smoke. The stats are broken down into whether or not you smoked in pg or the baby is just exposed post birth, and again, it does mske a difference if you stop now.

The placnta of a smoker is grey/black, gritty and degrading at birth, compared to the red, fleshy healthy ones

Think also of your dc1 & 2 - you increase their risk of respiratory illness, ear infections & hearing problems.
Think also of you, smoking related illnesses are awful. Smoking resets your brain so that when ypu become unwell medics cannot necessarily give you the oxygen ypu will badly want.

Think of your wallet, fags are so expensive. You could have that money towards a longer mat lwave, nice mat clothes, a nice baby bag etc.

It is so hard to give up because it is an addiction. Seek help & support. Good luck.

Imagine looking at your child in the face and explaining to them that you are going to die, of lung cancer....

How appealing does that cigarette seem now?

rob99 Mon 08-Jul-13 18:23:05

Do you want it in a nutshell minus the flowers?

STOP SMOKING YOU BLOODY SELFISH IDIOT !

elQuintoConyo Mon 08-Jul-13 19:54:11

STOP SMOKING YOU OUTRAGEOUSLY STUPID BINT!!

Is that kick up the arse enough? grin

**I am sure you are lovely, obviously you want to stop and are looking for advice. Good luck OP, and congratulations on dc2 thanks

syl1985 Mon 08-Jul-13 23:02:02

Very good that you are stopping.

Normally I'd be a LOT more supportive. But you asked us to tell you the worst.

The first thing I can think of is loosing your baby.
For me and I think most parents that's your worst nightmare.

As a smoker you've got more changes on complications and when the baby is born there's more chance on sids (Sudden infant death syndrome)

Imagine that your baby hasn't come for his milk at night. In the morning you wake up. Thinking he went threw the night for the first time. Only to find out that he's gone.

On that moment you'll never forgive yourself that you didn't stop smoking on this moment.

I'm a none smoker and I haven't smoked in my life. But I know that at the beginning it's really hard to give up.
Know that you'll feel sooo much better when you've stopped.

Think about the money that you'll save!!!
Use that money only for fun stuff. Normally you'd spent it on smoking. Bad for your health and the health of the people around you. Not to forget at this moment it's terrible for that little wonder in your belly.

You dropped to one or 2 a day. How much did you do before that? Smoking is terrible expensive.
You can do so much other fun stuff with that money.

Then instead of only beating yourself up every time you've had a smoke. You'll reward yourself every time you didn't had a smoke.

I went online and found this article about the cost of smoking.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5360926.stm

There's more then just the cost of the cigarettes. As you can read in that article.

An average a smoker (20 a day) spends 2500.- pound a year on smoking.
That's in a week:
2500 pound / 52 weeks = 48.- pound a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What can you do with that money every week?
- shopping
- going to a theme park with the family
- going to a restaurant
- safe it for a holiday. Last minutes weekends are usually not that expensive. You could have a (simple) short holiday with the family EVERY MONTH!!!!

Aside from the extra health bonus you're also saving a LOT of money that you can spend on anything that you'd like.

Take care,
Sylvia

syl1985 Mon 08-Jul-13 23:06:41

I didn't thought about that one worsestershiresauce. It's a very good argument.

It's not only your child's health, it's also yours.

Imagine being told that you're going to die, because of your addiction. That you can't see your children grow up.

Imagine how you'd feel and how terrible that must be for your children.
What a terrible childhood would that be for them.

I stopped smoking in early pregnancy with DS,
I did it not just for his health but I kept thinking "My baby needs his mum in his life for as long as possible, I want to see him grow into a man and know that I've done everything possible to keep myself healthy"

You can do it, good lucksmile

GTbaby Tue 09-Jul-13 00:47:47

Health visitor told me only SIDs cases he personally had come across had been with babies of smokers.

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Tue 09-Jul-13 01:00:35

I resent my mother for smoking while she was pregnant and all through my childhood, in rooms and cars with no open windows. Asthma is one of the reasons I missed out on my career of choice. Stop it, it won't just damage your health and your dc, it could damage your relationships <bitter emoticon> Sorry if that's harsh, you did ask though wink

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Tue 09-Jul-13 01:01:17

Good luck with giving up, I do know it's not as simple as I made out above.

froubylou Tue 09-Jul-13 06:38:18

I'm an ex smoker who is now pg. Because of the taboo around smoking when pg and because I am an ex smoker who found it difficult to quit as soon as I found out I was pregnant I'm going to assume your 1 or 2 a day is perhaps more. Perhaps 6 or 7? You don't have to admit it.

I have used the stop smoking service via the midwives. So hhave had lots of support and co2 monitoring. I saw the midwife yesterday and asked out of interest how long co2 (carbon monoxide) stays in our bodies. It takes 24 hours for the last fag to leave completely. In the immediate 40 mins after smoking the baby really, really struggles to get enough oxygen from your blood supply. So for 40 mins your baby is in distress which can be monitored via the fetal heart beat.

Imagine being a tiny baby and being restricted of oxygen.

Now imagine your baby is here and a friend or relative holding them. You nip to the loo and when you come back they are smoking a fag and blowing the smoke directly onto your newborns face. Imagine your rage. Imagine fag ash on your babies clothes and nicotine and tar on its skin.

Not nice huh?

Smoking whilst pg is worse than all that.

There is nothing you can do about the ones you have already had. But you can stop now.

You can use 16 hour patches whilst pg. And gum or inhalators. Ecigs are not recommended as they are unregulated.

Good luck and congratulations.

rallytog1 Tue 09-Jul-13 08:35:58

DH was born to a mum who smoked through pregnancy and his childhood. He has chronic asthma (the kind that's severe enough to kill you) and his mum spent the last 16 years of her life with a severe brain injury directly linked to an illness she suffered because of smoking. Her memory was so impaired she didn't even recognise her own son most of the time. She died 3 months before her grand daughter was born, through another illness connected to her smoking.

Don't put your family through the heartache that comes with smoking. It's great that you want to stop - good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

bunchofposy Tue 09-Jul-13 09:20:56

Hi there, congrats on your pregnancy and for deciding to give up smoking! I found the Alan Carr book really useful when I gave up. I also booked myself onto a course. It was costly, but to me it was worth every penny. It literally changed my life in a day. You're def doing the right thing. Good luck!

JuliaScurr Tue 09-Jul-13 09:58:12

see what you can get eg gum, patches etc and try them out - I used nasal spray (not when pg)
you can do it!
use any help you can get

x0gawjus0x Tue 09-Jul-13 12:29:06

You are increasing your risk of still birth imagen getting so excited to see your baby then finding out you have to give birth to a dead one. You are also increasing risk of cot death not the suprisw you hope for when you go and check your baby one morning! Hopefully that shocked you but i wish you best in stopping smoking i imagen it is very hard x

MortifiedAdams Tue 09-Jul-13 12:30:46

Stop putting your need for a fag over your babies need for a healthy start in life! Selfish!

JumpingJacks Tue 09-Jul-13 21:03:16

Right that's day one done. No fags at all.

I really appreciate all the advice, abuse and honesty. Its what I needed thanks smile

syl1985 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:03:44

Well done for not smoking today!!!!!!
Everyone understands that it's difficult to stop smoking.

Keep on going, it'll get easier!!!!!!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Tue 09-Jul-13 22:29:17

Well done jumping! Keep it up grin

Shellywelly1973 Wed 10-Jul-13 00:06:09

I smoked for over 22 years. I stopped nearly 6 months ago. I was 8 weeks pregnant. I had a mmc at 12 weeks...

I dont know if smoking contributed to the miscarriage. I've smoked through 4 pregnancies. I would cut down but selfishly never totally gave up. I just couldn't face it.

After the miscarriage it would have been so easy to start smoking again but i realised that my baby, the little baby who's heart only beat for 2 weeks, that tiny little baby that lay sleeping in me for 4 weeks, made me do something no one else ever had. Her lasting legacy will be that she made me stop smoking.

You cant get this time back... Stop smoking today!

MmeLindor Wed 10-Jul-13 00:14:04

Well done, Jumping.

Stop not just for your child, but for yourself.

My dad has never been able to, even though he has COPD and asthma, and sometimes struggles to breathe.

Even though his elder brother was on oxygen for the last years of his life, due to COPD, and finally died of lung cancer.

Even though we have begged him, emotionally blackmailed him, nagged him. Even though, he knows that he may miss some of the precious years with his grandchildren.

Do it for yourself, and for your family. For the grandchildren who want to know you in many many many years.

HotSoupDumpling Wed 10-Jul-13 15:35:09

Well done!! You can do it. You really can.

Futterby Wed 10-Jul-13 15:40:28

Been lurking, huge well done jumping! I understand how difficult it is, I was on 20 a day when I got my (surprise) bfp and quitting cold turkey is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Seriously well done smile

Mama1980 Wed 10-Jul-13 15:41:31

Well done jumping. Am still here cheering you on for as long as you want. You can do this! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now