Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
turning a breech baby(120 Posts)
IM currently 33 weeks and my baby is still head up. I know I still have time for baby to turn but i don't think it will as has been in this position all along. At midwife appt this morning she was talking about what would happen if baby doesn't turn by 37 weeks and the turning the baby by hand procedure sounds horific. Grateful for any sharing of experiences of this.
Oh and having read back properly, the day before we found out she was breech, the MW told me her head was engaged. I don't think it ever was - she was a footling breech and I used to joke about a foot appearing!
As a result I requested a scan at 37weeks with the remaining dc just to confirm their positioning. There was no issue with this with any of them at any stage. It was just written into my notes at the booking in appointment. .
DD was breech at 37 weeks, and the midwife suspected this, and suggested things like being on all fours, etc to encourage turning.
Thing is, I knew she'd been head down at 36 weeks and had been for a while, but the awkward dear decided to turn rather late on.
Didn't work, but as I was developing pre-eclampsia, I was advised my blood pressure was too high even to risk inducing and there was no mention of ECV. I had an elective CS next morning, at 38 weeks.
DS born very easily by VBAC 4 years later.
She's now 13 and still awkward at times .
My second baby was breech until 38 weeks. I was all set to go and try the ECV, and she turned over the weekend, very late. She ended up staying put until 41 weeks, but was quite small, which I guess is how she managed to turn so late.
My friend was booked in for a CS on her due date, because her DC was still breech at 39 weeks. Lo and behold, she went into labour two days beforehand, was scanned, and the baby had turned during labour. Baby born naturally a few hours later, again on the small side (like mine). If the baby is large, I imagine this is less likely to happen.
My baby was also breech (as yours all along and i didn't believe it would turn on its own) and ECV was suggested when I was 37 weeks. I accepted as I really wanted to avoid C-section. I'm glad I did because it was successful and baby stayed that way (I'm 39+6 now). It wasn't painful at all and not even half as uncomfortable as I expected and turning itself lasted less than a minute. The only thing which I found unpleasant was the injection to relax the muscles, which made me quite shaky and faint.
BUT baby was in perfect position for turning, and I had lots of waters and no stomach muscles (I guess) which made things easier - I realize that it won't be a case for everyone.
Oh, and people present were: midwife and a lovely student midwife, who did all the monitoring, injection, etc, DH and obviously a doctor
moominka was that your first baby? And what is a good position for turning?
I apparently still have strong stomach muscles, a fairly small bump and baby is head to the left and what feels like up under my ribs. Its also first baby which i gather is less successful.
Oh and i bet you cant wait now!
My DS was breech - but not spotted until 39+6 (!) after being confidently told at all my midwife appointment that baby was definitely head down, engaged etc.
I went for a c section the following day rather than ecv (low chance of success given baby's gestation, short cord and engaged bottom) but after I had a number of complications during the c section I wish I had at least tried the ecv, but would have made them stop if I was unhappy with it during the procedure.
My BFF had an ECV for her bum down baby - didn't work, triggered labour that evening (obvs after she left hospital and went home) and she had to labour for eight hours until they could get her into theatre, at which point big old baby refused to come out because he was completely wedged in BF's teeny pelvis. It was foot on the table time according to her OH Everyone fine anyway, but if I had a breech baby I wouldn't have an ECV. It sounded vile. Mind you, my last DC practically fell out, so I could probably deliver a breech out of my 'flexible' fanny.
Yes, it's my first baby (and I can't wait! ) Position baby was before ECV was with "legs extended up maternal left side" which doctor said was good. I could always feel a head to the right of my belly button. And my bump was (and remains) HUGE...
This is a good site with lots of ideas about turning baby
i tried a few didn't work. I cancelled a planned ECV as it just felt scarier than a CS. ECV only have a 50:50 chance of working which is fine but after researching I found a few scary things online about people being convinced ECV had led to still birth - after years of infertility etc I didn't really want to take any risks.
Ds is now 11 months old and TBH the fact I didn't have a vbac and it was a cs don't matter to me at all now but I remember agonizing about it at the time. All that matters is I have a lovely baby. The CS was fine and recovery for me was v easy.
DD was breech until 35-36 weeks, I think, and then turned during the night. I woke up and actually thought I am in labour or worse.
I read about ECV and decided against it. My friend recommended a acupuncture procedure and I would have tried that if DD hadn't moved by herself.
As I had quite bad SPD all the typical exercise was off the plan as well.
JRmumma you sound exactly like I was! Small bump, DD's head wedged under my ribs and strong tummy muscles (alas not so good ATM). Midwife used to constantly comment that my bump 'was all baby'! When DD decided to turn herself it hurt like hell .
Breech dd1 (plus back to back) until 38 weeks when she did a massive turn around in bth directions. It looked like something out of alien!!! There is still time! Rocking on all fours helps. Also going upstairs sideways stepping iykwim. Good luck xxx
TOTAL DISCLAIMER:- I do not believe in jumbo jumbo pseudo science. Ever.
Except when my lovely masseur lady suggested reflex to turn DC1 at 36 weeks, I didn't have the heart to refuse. And 3 hours later DC1 obligingly turned by himself (he was a big baby and made quite a fist of it IIRC).
So im definitely going to know about it if he turns himself then?! That's another thing i was wondering, whether i would notice. With this being my first I am completely clueless!
My DD was breech and I did all the exercises I could, had been going to yoga continually through my pregnancy etc. etc. I was never given the choice of turning her though, as my waters went at 35 weeks and there wasn't enough fluid to turn her. So I had a c-section and now she's a strapping 7 year-old!
Btw I don't know if there's anything about acupuncture and turning babies, but I had acupuncture to induce my second, and it worked that same evening.
Hi, my baby was breach, didnt find out until about 35 weeks, I was told about the turning however I decided to go with the c-section. I am so glad I did, drs let me even pick the day I could have it!! Yes I was sore afterwards but think I was quite lucky as I was up an about with in a few days. The thought of having the baby turned sounded really uncomfortable and was also told there was a chance the baby could move back. Whatever you choose, good luck
Hi, This is a good website with lots of resources re getting baby to turn: www.spinningbabies.com/
I had an undetected footling breech and gave birth vaginally, no problems. I believe you can ask for trial of labour if your baby does not turn, rather than automatically having a c-section. If you decide to go this route make sure whoever delivers your baby has experience of vaginal breech births.
Best of luck!
I had attempted ECV with DS1 which wasn't too bad but didn't work. So he was born by ELCS. DS2 was also breech for a long time but turned by himself quite late on.
DH was a natural breech birth. No issues. I also know of more than one born recenty. Has anyone mentioned this as a possibility? CS doesn't have to be the only option if it doesn't turn, surely?
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
Oops, didnt read somanymiles's post properly....but I agree.
Yes OP I refused it. It only had a 5% chance of working and there was a chance baby could turn back so I decided not worth the risk. The consultant also freaked me out with saying sometimes it can start contractions! But he was generally rude and tried to book me in for the procedure without actually telling me what he was doing or giving informed consent. I had a whole thread about it!
Another one saying look at the spinning babies website.
DS2 was breech at about 36 weeks, and I told midwife there was no way I'd be having an ECV, and how did she actually feel about me attempting a breech vaginal birth. She actually smiled and said it would be a pleasure!
At some point before 38 weeks he had turned (and I didn't notice - I had a fairly neat bump)
I also have a friend who delivered a (undiagnosed) breech baby vaginally - this was her first, tho she was a week or 2 early.
ECV or c-section are not the only 2 choices.
I would refuse ECV if I were you. What midwives and doctors don't say is that you are twice as likely to have an emergency caesarean even if the procedure is successful - what's more they are emergencies for dystocia and fetal distress.
Even if you go for it, I would ask whether you are going to be offered regional analgesia - up to you but can be pretty barbaric if not.
I'd give it a miss and go for c/s but I am top wuss in the wuss club BUT in this case I actually think it is probably safer for the baby.
Join the discussion
Please login first.