Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Miscarriage at 6 weeks - any advice?

(20 Posts)
kjh5 Sun 07-Jul-13 16:09:20

Hoping for a little bit of help from any other mothers on here who have had a MC. I was pregnant with my first and everything seemed to be going according to plan but then we flew out on a family holiday on Friday and I miscarried in the early hours of Sat morning. I'm abroad for a family wedding (of which I'm playing a big part) so haven't been able to go to hospital or anything. I'm lucky in that my aunt is here and she is a senior practice nurse (used to be a midwife many years ago) but she can't really tell me anything about what has actually happened. The worse thing is I can't stop hoping I'm still pregnant. When it started I had 2 hours of heavy bleeding early Sat morning (no cramps) but have only had two instances of light spotting since then (I was expecting to have a heavy period following the initial bleeding but nothing happened for the next 6 hours then had some light spotting and that was it). DH is being lovely but can't quite understand how devastated I am - keeps telling me I'll be pregnant again soon enough. Family that know are being hugely supportive. I think I'm copong pretty well under the corcumstances, i just wish I could have some certainty about exactly what has happened and know for sure that I've had a MC. No idea what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

linny579 Sun 07-Jul-13 16:15:42

I don't want to give you false hope but there is a chance everything could be ok. Had heavy bleeding on a Satursay at the same time and light bleeding on the Sunday. Had scan at EPU on the Monday and everything was ok and we saw a heartbeat.

A scan is the only way to know for sure either way. Fingers crossed for you.

Blankiefan Sun 07-Jul-13 16:21:06

Sorry you're going through this. I mc'd my last pregnancy at around 6 weeks. It may not be much comfort but my experience was that I didn't get much more info than you have. It's too early to scan reliably and my GP (sympathetically) explained that I'd just have to wait to see what happened. Basically, see if the bleeding came back and test again either way in a few days to see the outcome.

Even tho I convinced myself I was miscarrying; there was still a glimmer of hope I kept hidden until I got a BFN.

It's really tough that you have to hold yourself together for the wedding. When the festivities pass, make sure you give yourself some to process it all and grieve in your own way if you turn out you have mc'd.

Again, this may not help but in my case, 3 months later I did get pg agin and Im now 22+3....

Thinking of you.

Londongirl84 Sun 07-Jul-13 16:24:24

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to let you know my fingers are crossed for you x

kjh5 Sun 07-Jul-13 16:30:29

Thanks so much! It helps to hear other people have been through the same thing and got through it ok. Aunt said I'd just have to sit tight and see what happens over the next few days but its hard! I can't help feeling like I've failed in some way (although logically I know there is nothing you can do about early mc). Really appreciate the help and support on here. Thanks mnetters you're all really wonderful!

PearlyWhites Sun 07-Jul-13 16:46:13

I also don't want to give false hope but when I miscarried at six weeks I had a few days of brown spotting followed by agonising bleeding for a whole night then what was like a very heavy period for about five days. I hope everything is ok thanks

kjh5 Sun 07-Jul-13 17:02:33

Thanks PearlyWhites and linny579 - it's not false hope just another alternative to consider (and a glimmer of hope that everything might be ok). Also helps get me through the week until we can go home and have a scan to find out what has happened - I certainly didn't imagine this would be so hard when I had BFP 10 days ago x

Yonididnaedaethat Sun 07-Jul-13 17:11:29

I had 3 heavy bleeds with my DS (now 16 months), no-one knew the reason for them but on the other hand I got pregnant again when my DS was 6 months and sadly had heavy bleeds again which did end in miscarriage hmm.

Hi, I am in a similar boat but at least I am at home! 5.5 weeks and increasing brown stuff. I did another test which was positive but that doesn't really confirm anything I know. Unfortunately your aunt is right andnonly time will tell. I have 2 dcs already and wasnt sure about 3 but of course now I really want it to be ok! Fingers crossed for you. Lots of people have bleeding and are fine.

omri Mon 08-Jul-13 20:10:33

Kjh5- just want to check in And see how you're doing. I had no bleeding at all and a missed miscarriage when I went for first scan at 10wks a few months ago. It's really devastating and I think the worst was waiting to have it confirmed so I know how you might be feeling now sad
Like others said, if the worst is confirmed later then do take some time for yourself to grieve the loss.
Of course I'm hoping all goes well in your case! Let us know.
If you have any practical queries you might want to re-post on miscarriage and pregnancy loss section under body and soul. Some really helpful ladies on there and also available just to hold hands smile

andadietcoke Tue 09-Jul-13 08:05:28

I miscarried in Tunisia last October. I had a couple of days of spotting followed by bleeding for about a day then it stopped quite quickly. I knew when I'd passed the 'products' though - big clots.

I hope you have access to all the things I didn't - I made pads out of my (clean) facial muslins - we were in the middle of nowhere! The one thing about it, and I'm still not sure it was a good thing or not, was that it all happened away from home. Leaving Tunisia I left it all behind if that makes sense. I did have a substantial 'my friend is pregnant and due at the same time I should have been' meltdown around Christmas though - think I hadn't grieved properly, so make sure you talk about it if you have miscarried.

Ignore all the platitudes. It may still be okay. I'm now 31 weeks with twin girls - I got pregnant after waiting a cycle as instructed.

blondieminx Tue 09-Jul-13 08:37:57

I MC'd at almost 6wks - it was like the worst period ever. I got pg again the following month and DD is now 3. Now I know that the pains were really like labour pains.

Be kind to yourself and have some painkillers, no need to suffer physically as well as the emotional anguish of it all.

As others have said its too early to scan really. I was told by the consultant at the Early Pregnancy Units that early MC's usually happen because something is not quite right with the baby.sad not that it makes it any easier to bear, I am sorry you're going through this.

the Miscarriage Association has lots of info that helped me so here is the link in the hope it will also help you.

Fingers crossed for you that you fall pg again quickly.

bunchofposy Tue 09-Jul-13 09:33:54

So sorry to hear you are going through this worry. I miscarried at 7 weeks last year, and had on off bleeding for a week before passing the 'products'. If it helps, the advice to me was no different to you, ie wait and see. I wasn't offered a scan immediately either.

As the pps have said, lots of people bleed in early pregnancy, so fingers crossed! When I did finally get scanned, the nurse there said that small bleeds in early pregnancy are something she saw all the time.

It sucks that you are abroad and have to be all positive and weddingy. If you are miscarrying, although it will feel awful it will be nothing you have done - it really is so common. I am now 35 weeks pregnant by the way!

Good luck xx

DolomitesDonkey Tue 09-Jul-13 09:39:26

The biggest piece of advice I can give is: don't put extra pressure on yourself by buying in to the "miscarriage makes you more fertile next month" schtick! I did and I felt doubly devastated and like a failure when it took a further 6 months to get a successful pregnancy.

Be kind to yourself.

kjh5 Wed 10-Jul-13 08:26:14

Thanks ladies - managed to book an appt with my GP for as soon as I get back to the UK - so next week I should hopefully know for certain what has happened. I think its the uncertainty that is killing me. Although I'm fairly sure I have lost it - can't help but hope maybe it's still all ok! Heartening to hear mums have fallen pg again and comforting to know that mc often means there was something wrong with how the baby was developing. Just wish the pg symptoms would disappear! I could do without the nausea and sore boobs etc... So lovely to have so much support thank you all for taking the time to share your stories. It makes this easier x

PearlyWhites Wed 10-Jul-13 09:19:26

Kjh5 if you still have morning sickness that is a very good sign, hormone levels drop quite quickly after a miscarriage. Would you be able to get hold of a clear blue digital test that tells you how far along you are if it was to say 3 plus weeks for example it would be give you some idea of your hormone levels.

leelteloo Wed 10-Jul-13 09:31:59

I'm not sure you should rely on any sort of pregnancy test: I was told after my mc that they can read a false positive up to 3 weeks after mc. All our hormone levels return to normal at different rates.
I am so sorry you are having to go through this and wait so far from home.

kjh5 Wed 10-Jul-13 09:35:21

Thanks PearlyWhites - unfortunately I have tried! They don't have digital pregnancy tests on the island so I'll have to wait until I get home. It's only another two days and I have some tests sitting at home so I can do one when I get in which might give me some idea before i see the gp x

giddywithglee Wed 10-Jul-13 09:52:36

kjh5, last year I had a MC at 7 wks, has light spotting, was referred for a scan, saw a heartbeat but within a couple of days bleeding turned heavy and painful, went for another scan and unfortunately had miscarried. Before I left they took me to see a nurse in a quiet room who explained that in the majority of these early MC cases, it is nothing you have done yourself, nor an indicator anything is wrong with you (in fact I'd already had a healthy pregnancy and at the time my DS1 was 18 mths old) and that it's normally that the embryo has an abnormality. So firstly, if it is a MC please be rest assured it is most likely to be because of the way the embryo was developing and doesn't mean it is going to happen to you again).

She gave me a home PG test and told me to use it 2 wks later to make sure my hormone levels had returned to normal, so I wouldn't recommend taking a PG test as it may come back falsely positive.

Finally, I wanted to reassure you that since my MC I have gone on to have another healthy pregnancy and am sitting here looking at my 11 wk old DS2 who was conceived about 2 months after my MC.

BUT I will keep everything crossed for you that you are OK - it could be implantation bleeding, plus many women experience unexplained bleeding throughout their pregnancies, so don't lose hope yet. xxxxx

TangfasticMrFoxalastic Wed 10-Jul-13 09:57:38

Sorry you aren't at home to deal with this, it must be so difficult.

I passed clots the size of my palm at about that term, convinced I'd mc'd, and now have a 22 month old to show for it. Prior to that my previous pg had a tiny spot of blood at about that time which ended in mmc. I know everyone is different, but am just adding my story.

Good advice on going to the Drs. Could you ring your local epu now to see if they'd scan you without a referral when you return home? It's still so early, though, that a scan may not show a conclusive answer.

Fx for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now