Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Does sex kickstart labour???

(27 Posts)
Jenjen85 Fri 05-Jul-13 16:31:03

I'm currently 40wks now an want baby out before the heat wave sets in ideally. Had an internal on Wednesday an was told that my cervix was soft an short but at the back, they could feel baby's head too. Just wondering what I can do to kick start labour?? So far I've bounced on my ball, aromatherapy oils in the bath, and eaten loads of pineapple, last resort is sex as its a bit tight down there (sorry tmi). Is this a good way to kick it off? If labour doesn't start naturally by next Tuesday then I'm booked in for induction Wednesday an I'd ideally like to avoid this (first baby)

HeffalumpTheFlump Mon 08-Jul-13 10:47:08

Effzym - congratulations!!! Cor there's babies popping out all over the place! Enjoy your snuggles with your beautiful new baby smile

Tumble - your post about chucking DH off made me really laugh. Your DH could probably make good money offering that service if he's that effective! I probably shouldn't be reccommending you pimp out your husband though!

tumbletumble Mon 08-Jul-13 10:41:22

Wow - congratulations effyzm!

effyzm Mon 08-Jul-13 08:09:12

I had sex at midnight and gave birth at 2:55 this morning. Last labour was 12 hours and this was an unexpected treat smile x

tumbletumble Mon 08-Jul-13 06:32:00

We didn't actually get to the semen point blush

I got my first contraction mid shag and shouted to DH "That's it, you can stop now!"

Congratulations!

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 07-Jul-13 21:01:10

Thanks, sorry if it was a daft question, first baby!!

maja00 Sun 07-Jul-13 20:55:36

I was about to say the same - once you've lost a bloody mucus plug a bit of semen is neither here nor there grin

Mrchip Sun 07-Jul-13 20:54:36

Yes it works
I think with the show, blood and waters you wouldnt notice!

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 07-Jul-13 20:46:46

Congratulations!!!

Can I ask those ladies who it worked for a question? I have wondered about this, and then wondered if it would be a bit gross to go into labour with semen still hanging about inside? Sorry if I'm being thick but you can obviously wash outside but unless you were to douche surely there would still be some inside?

mamij Sun 07-Jul-13 20:03:10

Congratulations! Hope you're both well - and really, do forget housework etc and enjoy!

Massive congratulations jenjen!! Glad she didn't keep you waiting too long smile

CuppaSarah Sun 07-Jul-13 09:46:11

it did naff all for me. But lifting plant pots that in retrospect were a bit too heavy set things in motion for me. I got my first definate contraction in mcdonalds though...They gave someone else MY chicken nuggets. So If the sex hasn't worked yet try lifting and fast food induced rage.

WeAreEternal Sun 07-Jul-13 08:36:36

Congratulations. =)

Middy75 Sun 07-Jul-13 08:16:52

Congratulations :-)

tumbletumble Sun 07-Jul-13 07:01:19

I was just coming on to tell my story of having sex and immediately going into labour either DD, but I see you've had the baby - Congratulations!!

DrMcDreamysWife Sun 07-Jul-13 05:37:34

Congratulations! Well done and welcome to the world of pink!

Jenjen85 Sun 07-Jul-13 05:26:16

Well after contemplating doing the deed on Friday night we didn't but my waters broke at 2.30am Saturday morning (my due date) after a 5 hour labour an a bit of help from a ventouse delivery our gorgeous little girl was born at 7.45pm weighing in at 7lb7oz. Couldn't be happier

Middy75 Sat 06-Jul-13 08:22:39

Semen contains prostergladins which is the same that's in the pessary used at hospital during the induction process. There has also been some research recently that eating 6-9 fresh dates a day can help. They have a very good GI and the theory is you will go into labour when your at your nutritional best. Good luck

DaveMccave Fri 05-Jul-13 22:30:02

My midwife said evening primrose oil capsule up your foof is very effective. She said its best to do the capsule first to soften cervix and then sex is even more effective.

Don't think you mentioned nipple stimulation which is the only other proven method after sex? As it releases oxytocin. If you don't fancy do doing it a breast pump can work.

mamij Fri 05-Jul-13 20:13:07

Not sure if it really works. But the hormone you produce when having sex is supposed to be the same as the one that kick starts labour!

Congratulations and good luck with the birth!

Jenjen85 Fri 05-Jul-13 20:05:01

Oooh might have to give it a try tonight then!!! Me and DH walked to the shop before an when we got back I had some stabbing pains down below (think in my cervix) an then when I went to the loo (sorry tmi) I had what I think was a bit of a show (bit like clear discharge but a long thick stringy bit) so I'm hoping that things are moving in the right direction!!

We did it doggy style HARD on the afternoon on my due date. I started contractions at 1pm ish the day after smile
Good luck x

*my family

oops!

I never told me family how DS's labour started but it was literally because of sex.

I had a sweep at 40+6 & was told I was 2cm but not actually having contractions/in labour. Had no pains at all etc! Had sex with now exp and had the usual after sex-slight-cramping (had been having that for the last month but it always died down about half an hour after sex).

It wasn't until an hour after the deed that I realized the pain had gotten so bad I couldn't concentrate on eating dinner and kept doubling over that i thought 'crap, i better time this'.

4 hours later DS arrived.

I would definitely try it again grin

Writerwannabe83 Fri 05-Jul-13 19:38:45

The birth of my sister's boy was triggered by sex!!

I went to see my sister when she was in labour and amongst the pain she was screaming and she yelled out, "This is all f***ing Martin's fault, bloody making me have sex with him earlier!!!!!"

I did struggle not to laugh smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now