Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

T1 diabetes - bumps, births, babies & beyond!

(336 Posts)

New thread, form an orderly queue here please >>>

grin

I've found you again! Thread dropped off my list, am back and just off to catch up on the posts grin

Summary: all fine, bloods a bit high though. M is 4 months old, still massive (was 16lbs last week), very smiley baby. Sleeps pretty well at night, which is a relief. Not rolling over, teething or weaning yet!

maggiethemagpie Fri 20-Sep-13 06:41:58

Ah plenty of time for all that Rue. Glad all is going well.

Hopingforno2 Sat 21-Sep-13 13:56:22

The thread has been quiet glad to hear from you all.
maggie I had no problems at all with my eyes until 2nd trimester then had background then in 3rd trimester was told one of the micro bleeds was borderline so ive been to opthamology and am back again Oct just hoping its stable. Like you I dont think id want another as id be too worried about my eyes and the hassle with 2 already.

my 1st consultants appt went ok she wants ne to run between 5.5 and 8 to help hypo awareness to cone back at 4 assures me my eyes will be fine hmm

Sorry for losing you all blush Am back at work sad ds is almost ten months and toothless. Still in 3-6 month clothes! Still bf which I'm happy with.

Good luck for cs on Monday grin our newest baby!

maggiethemagpie Sat 21-Sep-13 21:02:47

Hi Hoping, sorry to hear you've also had eye troubles. I nearly didn't have a second baby because of my eye troubles but was told the risk of the retinopathy coming back was low after I'd had extra laser and who knows what might have happened if I'd not, it could have been a lot worse.
Luckily the bleed has nearly cleared now as I was afraid of giving birth blind in one eye (a couple of weeks ago I could not see out of this eye at all).
At least I am managing to have the baby I so wanted, as if I had known this would happen I might have been too scared to risk it.
Just praying the retinopathy stops now, and I do not bleed again before it can be treated.
This has really blighted the end of my pregnancy, I was doing so well up until now! Insulin resistance has really gone through the roof now though, I am injecting in multiples of ten, eg just had 40 units novorapid for dinner at a friends house, then another 10units for a fruit salad when I got home. Crazy amounts but seems to be what I need to avoid going to high.

Only one more day of this, as after tomorrow eve I'll be on nil by mouth until my CS on Monday.

Can't wait to meet my little baby and will all be worth it - will keep you updated.

maggie I gave birth blind in one eye. Twice. Different eyes though! Not as bad as you might expect...I've had 2 x vitrectomies now to clear the gunk and seal the rogue vessels, and no problems since then - my most recent (final, last ever etc) pregnancy caused no problems with vision.

Good luck for the CS on Monday grin

Wow Spotty, 10 months already?! M is in 3-6 month clothes too, but he's only 4 months old grin

BonaDea Sat 21-Sep-13 21:08:35

Maggie - good luck! Looking forward to hearing about our new thread baby.

Spotty - eeek! How is it going back to work? I thought DS was going to have early teeth but they haven't appeared yet. Don't worry about what clothes size he's in - they all vary so much and it's just an average anyway. You've done so well to keep bf'ing!

My ds is 6 months now, still ebf but slowly introducing solids now. He's still not sleeping through the night other than on a handful of occasions but am ever hopeful.

Oh I'm not worried bona dd is 3.3 and still in 18-24 month clothes. I make them tiny!

Ds has been sleeping through since seven months. I decided to try and settle him with patting etc if he woke after less than 4 hours and after two nights he was sleeping through (he always settled really quickly and never complained). He eats really well and for over a month now I've stopped mashing food and he just has it cut up.

Works ok, I'd rather not be there I'm knackered with all the running around but it's only three half days which means I can continue bf and we can afford a holiday next yeargrin both dc have been pretty unsettled since I went back so waiting it out currently, I've only been back three weeks

Hopingforno2 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:27:48

Sirry maggie I also meant to say good luck for monday.the insuli resistance is amazing during pregnancy looking back at my diary its hard to believe the doses I was taking! my dd was a elcs and I was 1st taken to theatre because of being diabetic hope it works that way in your hospital too grin

xalyssx Sun 22-Sep-13 15:27:59

Hi I have type 1 diabetes and I am newly pregnant, I have bad nausea though, what would you recommend that I eat please? Thank you

Hopingforno2 Sun 22-Sep-13 21:49:48

Hi xalyssx Congratulations think what helped me most was eating small amounts regularly which is not easy when your diabetic but things like cheese cold meat etc that dont affect bg cucumber somehow worked for me with my dd but with ds it was always cold meat grin

How far along are you? Most of us on thread have had babies in the last year(or am I wrong) or so and are happy to help. How are your bg going?

xalyssx Mon 23-Sep-13 15:48:34

Thank you I will try that :-) I'm only about 7 weeks along but I want to try and have a better pregnancy than last time... I only found out that I was pregnant when I was 4 months gone

Hopingforno2 Mon 23-Sep-13 16:17:06

xalyss that must have been a huge shock!shock where u in time for your 20 week scan? I think the consultant I had during pregnancy would have been hard on me if I hadnt known till then lol

I found 2nd pregnancy much harder than the 1st nausea was terrible but the main reasons where other complications worked out fine in the end and dd is 5 months almost 6 now smile

xalyssx Mon 23-Sep-13 21:20:40

Yeah I was 17 weeks approx, my only symptoms were nausea and high blood sugar levels but I put that down to being at catering college

Hopingforno2 Tue 01-Oct-13 21:35:19

Hi how is everyone? maggie what did u have a boy or girl?hope you and baby are well.

I have my 2nd opthamology appt tommorow keep ur fingers crossed for me all is ok

Hoping, how did it go? Had mine yesterday, pleased to report that all is stable and the consultant doesn't want to see me for 4 months this time. She dangled the carrot that if it's still stable at the next appt she'll downgrade me to 6-8 month appointments grin

Also, I had M with me, he was asleep before we left the house and only woke up on the bus on the way home, 4 1/2 hours later shock I'm astonished he slept as well as he did last night!

Hopingforno2 Thu 03-Oct-13 08:40:40

Hi rue thats great!! In mine he said there was 1 micro in left eye but he wasnt 'convinced'by it and another like that in right eye along with 2 that were definite micro bleeds but were well away from central vision he said he would have been more suprised if there had been zero changes in a type 1 after this amount of time and 2 pregnancys?! Anyway ive been discharged to my routine checks tho im hoping it will be 6 months rather than a year. Can I ask for that?

is m sleeping better for u? I think sometimes they actually sleep better at night if had naps during day.

M is sleeping really well at night these days, not so much during the day! He cat naps during the day, with the odd (every 2-3 days) really long 3 or 4 hour nap. But the long naps depend on being at home mostly, and it's rare he can avoid being dragged out of bed to do a school run/take the big ones to swimming/etc.

And I don't see why you couldn't ask for 6 monthly appointments, give it a go they can only say no.

Hopingforno2 Fri 04-Oct-13 09:35:09

Aw thats good ellie is the same really unless my oh is a 10am start then she gets to sleep again after her 7am feed, lucky babies!!

Im going to ask when I see dsn atvend of this month just for my peace of mind so glad this little group exsists keeps me calm about things abd rue your knowledge and advice about my eyes has been so good im so grateful smile

maggiethemagpie Sat 05-Oct-13 16:00:38

Hi, just to update gave birth to a baby girl, Faye, 6lbs 1oz, last Monday. Both doing well. My eye has not got any worse, according to one doctor I saw the retinopathy has not progressed but some vessels which developed last year have been pulled by the eyeball jelly, resulting in bleeding. The bleed has subsided a lot now and hoping it will clear completely before too long.
I'm having some laser next week and praying that will be the end of it. At least I have not developed new vessels in the pregnancy.
Seems quite a lot of us have had eye problems in pregnancy, well that's enough babies for me now (two).
I'm finding it harder than I thought to go back to being a 'normal' diabetic. The temptation to slack off now I've had the baby is enormous! I know I can't though.
Good luck to all those still due

Congratulations maggie, and welcome to the world Faye smile what gestation was she in the end, she's not big by any stretch!

Hope your eye settles down asap, too.

Hopingforno2 Sat 05-Oct-13 20:49:46

Congratulations maggie aw lovely n tiny!thanks

maggiethemagpie Sun 06-Oct-13 09:22:23

Hi Rue and Hoping. She was 38+3, not big at all even for that gestation. My son was even smaller at 5lbs8oz at 38+2. I must make em small. Either that or my placenta packs up at the end as they were both very average on the growth scans. The diabetics producing big babies thing certainly hasn't been true for me - then again my hba1c was below 6 throughout and I was paranoid about high blood sugars.

Have those who've had their babies had big ones? i'm convinced it is more a risk in the gestational diabetic population who don't know they have diabetes until it's found on screening, therefore giving some time for the baby to grow big from high blood sugar before diagnosis.

Hoping, I would ask for 6 monthly appts if you are worried. If they say no, just go to your GP in six months and get them to ask for you to be seen as they won't ignore a referral from a GP - you can say you are really worried etc. I had this problem with my eye hospital they did not want to see me for 9 months despite me being in 3rd tri of pregnancy and having a bleed a few weeks later. I made a complaint about it as I'm sure they are mainly doing it to get the waiting lists down. I've gone private now as I'm in a health cash plan at work, but it is limited to a certain amount of treatment so I'll need to get referred back to the NHS again once I've exhausted it.

My eye hospital is like being in a third world country, they couldn't even give me a date for laser as they had a backlog so there was a waiting list, not great when you're pregnant and worried about your eyes! I'd hate to think of people getting worse just because they don't have enough resources to treat them straight away but unfortunately it seems to be the case, I'm just hoping I won't need urgent treatment there again.

Hopingforno2 Sun 06-Oct-13 10:58:53

Hey maggie thats terrible thats truly crappy you have had to go private I plan on bringing up and asking for 6 monthly check with dsn when I see her at end of this month. My ds was 7lbd 10.5oz and dd 8lbs 6.5oz so not small but hardly giant considering my oh is 6ft 4 and both me and my sister were bigger born to a non diabetic mum in fact my younger sister who was my mums 2nd was 9lbs 14oz! Of course she is naturally skinny now envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now