Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

T1 diabetes - bumps, births, babies & beyond!

(336 Posts)

New thread, form an orderly queue here please >>>

grin

dieciocho Wed 17-Jul-13 21:25:40

Blooming grin

What do you all do with homemade cakes wrt carbs do you just guess? I made some giant cookies with over a pack of butter and two different types of sugar in blush they were rather yum bit of trial and error on the insulin though

dieciocho Thu 18-Jul-13 15:44:32

Pure guesswork spotty grin

maggiethemagpie Thu 18-Jul-13 18:03:13

I guess quite a lot of things - I sort of guestimate based on a kind of sixth sense I've developed after several years of basal-blousing. Doesn't always work but it's such a faff to work out the exact carbs of everything - drives me crazy. As I'm testing after my meals/snacks I can always correct any highs/lows before they get too high/low so it's not like an error would effect me all day.
Seem to have had the dawn phenomenon again this morning despite putting my basal up. Does anyone else have this? Seems no matter how much I inject at night time it's always hovering around 7 when I wake up.

dieciocho Thu 18-Jul-13 20:49:39

maggie I'd love to be 7 on waking! I was 16.2 this morning ffs, must've been a liver dump due to a hot-weather hypo.

BonaDea Thu 18-Jul-13 21:13:27

Just dropping in to say what a bloody nightmare I've been having with BGs. Have had several high teens over the last few days as well as waking high and a couple of mornings having a hypo hangover. Urgh. Love the sun but not its ill effects

Thinking of you preggers people - the heat must be a killer!

BonaDea Thu 18-Jul-13 21:32:36

P.s. welcome maggie
P.p.s. - when I was hardcore carb counting, I would calculate all the carbs used in a cake (obviously you have measured the ingredients) then either slice it into a set number of pieces and calculate the carbs in them so you know each time you have a slice OR work out the carbs per 100g then measure each chunk as you eat it. Now I just guesstimate confused

Oh I like the working it out per 100g idea. Might have to make some more... They're oat and raisin so super healthy wink

I'm waking up with 5s but going to bed with 8s as I don't want to hypo overnight in the heat but I'd rather wake up a bit lower....can't be doing with a hypo hangover

maggiethemagpie Fri 19-Jul-13 14:01:12

I seem to rise in the morning whatever I do so have started injecting 4u NovoRapid as soon as I wake up (usually about 6.30 - thanks to my noisy 2 year old) but I don't know where it goes, before pregnancy this on its own would send me hypo within half and hour but now if I do this I may have got it down by one or two points by breakfast a couple of hours later if I'm lucky. At least then I'm not starting the meal high which always makes it ten times harder to get it back within range after.
Its crazy how much insulin I need in the morning now, this morning I had 8u for 20g carbs on top of my 4u top up, and was level most of the morning, dropping a little before lunch (but still ok at 4.2). This on top of 32 u basal per day.
Also my bump is huge, much bigger than last time, I had worried this was due to big baby or excess amniotic fluid but my scan was normal. it's probably just me getting extra fat from eating lots of food and injecting lots of insulin. I really do seem to have gone enormous and am fully expecting to spend the rest of my life trying to get the weight off...but will leave all that until after the baby's born, getting her out safe and sound is all I'm worrying about at the moment.
I do envy these mothers who put on a neat little bump which pings off the minute they give birth - Unfortunately I am at other end of the spectrum.

dieciocho Fri 19-Jul-13 14:33:56

I'm 6 months post-pregnancy maggie and I do something similar when I first wake up, 2u or so to cover my cup of tea and dawn phenomenon, then I have my normal 10u to cover breakfast an hour later (which is 5u of carbs. and used to require just 5u of insulin before I got pregnant!)

BonaDea Fri 19-Jul-13 20:50:17

Maggie - some bumps are just bigger than others. It is a total myth that insulin makes you put on weight. Non diabetics have insulin floating around too, if you think about it so dont fret that you are making yourself bigger! Nothing makes you put on weight other than what you put in your mouth (except when pregnant because there are all sorts going on then!!)

This morning I tested after breakfast/just before going out and it was 6.8 by the time I got to town 15 minutes away it was low (not sure what as I hadn't taken my tester blush was only going to be an hour). Nightmare.

Had dd's first sports day today smile they had Pimm's!

maggiethemagpie Sat 20-Jul-13 08:33:01

Morning all. Sorry to hear of your hypo Spotty - its a bu99er isn't it, sometimes you can do exactly the same thing with different results. My dawn phenomenon was worse this morning at 8.2, despite increasing my basal to 24u. If i increase this any more I'll be going hypo later on in the day so don't want to do any more.
I do wonder if I had a hypo in the night as I felt a bit rubbish on waking this morning and had quite a lot of insulin last night with my meal as we were entertaining. I usually wake up, but how would I know when I hadn't? Oh well the midwife said to go back to see the doctor next week if it's still a problem. It's the one measurement you can't control, unless you wake up at 4am to do a correction bolus (not appealing!). Very frustrating. Last time I didn't seem to have too much of a problem with it, but I know every pregnancy can be different.
Is anyone having a planned C-section? I had such a horrible time last time with my induction, the syntocinon made me contract really strongly, squeezing baby's cord and his heart rate started dropping I'll never forget the sound of it slowing down on the monitor, so they rushed me in for an emergency section. he was fine, but I thought I may lose him, so not prepared to go through that again and chosen to have a planned section.
Apparantly diabetic ladies have a 2/3 chance of needing a section if they go the induction route anyway, which I think is really high - with odds like that I just decided to go for the section. It wasn't too bad last time, I recovered pretty quickly. I just want to get the baby out safe and sound, everything else is secondary.

newbie6 Sat 20-Jul-13 18:11:40

Hi maggiethemagpie,

I had an emergency section last time after being induced and have decided if I have another baby, like you would ask for a planned section this time as couldn't bear the stress of knowing my baby wasn't coping with the contractions. Friends who have had a planned section said it was much better than an emergency section and recovery much quicker too. Hope all goes well for you.

X

Hopingforno2 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:52:00

maggie my 1st labour with ds ended in emcs this time round with dd I was booked for an elcs totally different experience much calmer though would say only a little bit quicker recovery.

I think I'm the only one on the thread not to have had a CS? If I were you I would ask for one this time. I've also heard a planned one is quicker to recover from etc. I think the only worry people have is their milk taking longer to come in (if you wish to bf) but it's not a big problem.

Just thought I'd say hi, I'm still here but turns out life with 3 tiddlers is a bit hectic grin

M is 9 weeks old already and weighs approx a ton. He's in 0-3m stuff and its none too roomy already. Doesn't like the heat much though!

Hopingforno2 Sun 21-Jul-13 12:35:45

rue im with him on the heat thing lol

ok help last couple nights I have been going to bed with a decent bg between 5-7 waking around 4am-5am with it up a bit say 7-9 so have taken small amount of insulin 1-2 units but have risen even more on waking was 10.2 this morning?? I had reduced my nighttime levemir as per dsn instructions but was consistently high so put it up again which worked along with the 5am dose but now isn't do I put it up again? Also its affecting my readings all day I did my ratio plus correction for breakfast but rose to 11.2 so have had correction and wont eat till later but im stumped and pissed off unless im having hypos as dp has been watching kids and letting me have a cpl hours to sleep in mornings. Should I up my ratio do you think?

dieciocho Sun 21-Jul-13 17:06:15

Good to hear from you rue, not surprised life's a wee bit stressful with 3! Hopefully you're finding enough time to take care of your health too.

maggiethemagpie Sun 21-Jul-13 21:00:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hopingforno2 Sun 21-Jul-13 23:52:14

maggie I did correct highs that way while pregnant but now im trying hard to get steady not that its happening
The dvla thing is worrying tho as far as I was aware your licence was only revoked if you had 2 major hypos a year ie ones where you needed medical help? Though I am aware that by law now we have to test before driving and at minimum 2 hourly intervals on long journeys

Hopingforno2 Mon 22-Jul-13 00:10:41

I just checked and it says on website that it had to be 2 serious hypos within 12 months so an a&e admission treated by paramedics or where another has had to treat u as u were unable dont think id declare it unless I was treated officially though

maggiethemagpie Mon 22-Jul-13 08:47:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

maggiethemagpie Mon 22-Jul-13 08:53:09

Also, the guidance states that doctors can report someone to the DVLA if they think they are withholding info / potentially a danger to other road users so patient confidentiality is out of the window here. I probably sound a little paranoid about it all now, but it's a healthy paranoia - as far as I'm concerned I'd rather be over-paranoid and keep my licence! I didn't fancy being stuck at home all day in the winter with a toddler and a newborn whilst they took my license off me for a year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now