Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

T1 diabetes - bumps, births, babies & beyond!

(336 Posts)

New thread, form an orderly queue here please >>>

grin

dieciocho Mon 08-Jul-13 15:52:29

Today she's had banana mixed with breastmilk twice, but proper feeds straight after.

We've been putting her to bed in just a nappy.

hellbunny1 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:52:17

This heat is killing me! Sugars were 12.9 2 hours after breakfast, then frantically dropped to 3.1 (without correcting) then literally chased hypos all day and haven't gone above 6 aside from evening meal which again is high sad feel guilty for baby, worried about the highs as its getting to be every breakfast and evening meal its in double figures 2 hours after, i don't know what to do other than keep increasing? When i wait 20 minutes i hypo before i've even started eating.
Got a growth scan next tuesday, eye/foot check monday.

I hope everyone else is ok xx

BonaDea Tue 09-Jul-13 22:06:43

Hell bunny. Just keep increasing and then snacking if need be to prevent hypo. The targets are so tight that personally i find it very hard to be so low after 2 hours without hypo-ing.

The only other option is to low carb... I did that quite a bit before pg but found I craved the full feeling that only carbs can bring. So I just had shed loads of insulin to cover!

Today I felt myself going low a couple of hours after breakfast, had a full bottle of lucozade (as was walking in the heat with pram), then had lunch of tuna and bean salad and melon with no insulin AND one of those coffee cooler things from costa in the afternoon and was 6.2 before dinner!

Gingerbreadpixie Tue 09-Jul-13 23:43:37

I'm having a bit of a nightmare at the moment. My novorapid is now taking 3-4 hours to peak, I'm injecting an hour before breakfast and still reading around 10 an hour later then hypo 2hours after that. Then i go high again with the correction and its a struggle to get down again before he next meal. I had soup and bread for dinner and my blood sugars have been climbing ever since, sitting around 11.7 now despite two 4unit corrections. Will now definitely hypo between 2-3am. Argh!!!!!

At least I don't have ketones this evening (so far). Gonna down a couple of pints of water if I can.

I'm going to put my day levemir up and try to low-carb it tomorrow I think. I can't have this every day. I'm 33 weeks now

dieciocho Wed 10-Jul-13 11:26:05

ginger the low carb idea is a good one, probably easier now in the warm weather than in winter when all you want to eat is mashed potato!
When I had soup during pregnancy I never had bread with it, but added sweetcorn or lentils to the soup to fill me up.

dieciocho Fri 12-Jul-13 17:56:32

Yay, all clear on the eyes! The damage that had occurred during my pregnancy appears to more or less have corrected itself, so I'm back to annual appointments. smile

BonaDea Fri 12-Jul-13 19:20:04

Great news - what a relief. That reminds me I need to go in for an appt too. No damage when pregnant but think they like to check anyway. I think I'll have to ask DH to take a morning off work as would be weird being in sole charge of DS without being able to see!!

Hopingforno2 Sat 13-Jul-13 22:42:11

diec thats great news!! How old is your lo no? Im hoping when I go back in October to get good news too

dieciocho Sun 14-Jul-13 18:04:14

hoping she's 6 months now.
Yes, bona I left her with my mum as my eye clinicis the sloooowest on earth!

I forgot to renew my driving licence shit shit shit it runs out on Wednesday

Hopingforno2 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:35:18

spotty phone the dvla and ask them to send you out a letter that says you are allowed to drive while waiting on new licence thats what I had to do. It basically says u r ok to drive as long as your doctor is in agreement

Oh ok. Phew. I will send it off special delivery today. They send it out so far in advance I always forget about it blush they've had my mums for six weeks!

dieciocho Mon 15-Jul-13 16:14:39

I didn't even know licences had to be renewed, good job there's a way to sort it out spotty.

I've just had my first pump appt. - hardly had to do anything, just showed the registrar my bg diary and he said he'd definitely recommend a pump. His decision is mainly based on the fact that I'm a 'good' diabetic who's doing things right, but still can't achieve tight enough control.
Now we wait for the dr. who controls the funding...

maggiethemagpie Mon 15-Jul-13 19:16:44

Hi guys, I'm glad I found this thread! Thought I was going mad! 29 weeks and insulin resistance kicking in now - waking up with 6s and 7s despite putting nighttime basal up. Mornings are crazy - taking 4u novorapid on waking then 6 u for half a pitta bread (15g carbs) with low carb filling, still only just about manage to get it into range before lunch.
Seeing the doctor /nurse tomorrow, sometimes I think they just don't understand what we go through and don't think their advice always helps!
I hate this part of the pregnancy, until now I was having a fair amount of insulin but it was working and doing it's job, now it feels like it's pot luck whether it works or not and i'm so paranoid about harming the baby. Haven't had loads of highs, it can go up to the 9s after meals but it's getting it down again without going hypo which is the holy grail. The temptation is just to bolus aggressively but then of course you go hypo which is what happened in my last pregnancy - 3 times a day or so until the end.
I'm just getting through with the thought that all being well this will be my last pregnancy so last time I have to go through this. Shame though as I would enjoy being pregnant were it not for this.
Growth scan tomorrow so feels like its the day of reckoning, hopefully baby will be ok and just needs to stay ok now for next 10 weeks.

Hopingforno2 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:39:45

spotty mines was around 4-5 weeks I would phone them though and explain to them they were nice to me and offered me the letter.

maggie your bg readings sound really good to me! I had to take loads of insulin from 28 weeks prob 3 times my normal and was constantly correcting(still am even though my dd is 3.5 months)

dieciocho Tue 16-Jul-13 06:39:46

Welome maggie,
I agree with hoping, your bgs sounds totally reasonable for this stage of pregnancy. Well done smile

Wouldn't it be a letter from the doctor you need though? It's all very well telling the policeman that you're ok to drive as long as your dr says so but how are they to know what your doctor thinks?

Agree maggie they sound great, it's hard not to panic though!

maggiethemagpie Tue 16-Jul-13 13:13:30

Hi all, had the growth scan today and it's all good - baby is slightly below the mid point for gestational age but well within the range so sonographer said that's good. Hba1c was 36 - don't think it's ever been so low. Doc has put my night time lantus up by 4u to try and catch the morning high - may make me go a bit hypo later on but I'll just have to try and fiddle with the short acting dose. Generally though it's not too bad and I'm reassured that baby seems to be growing normally at the mo although I keep thinking I can't get complacent!

I have a sneaky confession to make I keep pigging out loads at bedtime, I think because I am generally 'good' in the daytime so I see the evening as nibble-time plus I am beginning to get extra hungry now. I always inject for it though. Eg last night I had a pitta bread with cheese, two biscuit bars, three chunks of choc and an apple- ended up injecting 20u for that lot which should have got the sugar out of my blood, according to the usual bolus calcs. Does anyone else do this or is it just me? I'm going to be as fat as a house by the time the baby is born, but I don't care right now just concentrating on getting through the pregnancy.

Hope everyone else is ok.

hellbunny1 Tue 16-Jul-13 18:54:24

Had my growth scan today, 32+4! Baby is measuring 4lb 10oz and around 75th centile for his measurements, except his head which is close to the top! Omg the heads coming first aswell lol.

Sugars aren't great but they said i'm doing well despite the weather, post breakfast is high (10mmol one and two hours after, just won't come down!) so increasing every other day to try again, saying that i've not had any readings in the teens for a while thank goodness.

He was sticking his tongue out on the scan, and the sonographer confirmed a little boy again (she wasn't sure at our 20 week scan) so bought some cute little sleepsuits for him, i love baby/kids shopping it really cheers me up, does anyone else feel like this? lol

hellbunny1 Tue 16-Jul-13 18:57:03

Maggie your bloods are good, don't worry! I get hunger pangs, esp at night but i try and avoid it as i hate injecting rapid before bed incase of a hypo, it seems to hang in me for up to 5 hours so i end up testing hourly or going hypo, i try and eat alot in the day time to see if it helps, i'm at the stage now though i feel like i can't eat much as bump is taking up so much room!

maggiethemagpie Tue 16-Jul-13 21:09:04

Hi Hellbunny we seem to have the opposite approach, you eat more in the day me at night. what I struggle with most is doing any exercise, I just can't win - if I take my usual insulin then go for a walk in the afternoon I will without fail hypo (and usually quite badly due to the physical exercise), so today I had a hypo mid afternoon, treated it with fruit juice and then had a tea cake, thought I won't inject for tea cake as going on walk, after 1 hour walk I was 11. Can't do right for doing wrong eh.
Congrats on the boy news/confirmation - yes I love shopping too, I'm on team pink this time so had to stop myself buying too many clothes this time as I went mad with my son. The most frustrating thing is not knowing what size to buy - with my son I bought newborn stuff but he was absolutely tiny, even tiny baby stuff was on the big side for him (he was 5.5 lbs at 38 weeks) so had to get smaller clothes although he soon grew. This time round I've got tiny baby and newborn sleepsuits and will prob. have a whopper now! Although as my son was small maybe this means this one will be too - who knows.
I have been pre injecting 4u novorapid about an hour before breakfast to try and combat the post breakfast high - its either that or severely restrict carbs before lunch. Seems to be working ok for now - the other trick is to eat half your breakfast wait half an hour and then the other half (injecting all the insulin before eating the first half) although that can be a hassle if you've got life to be getting on with. I'm trying all these tricks to see what works. May be worth a try.
At least I have finished work now (had to finish early so now on the sick) so I can concentrate on my diabetes - and enjoying the sunny weather. I can't complain it's a good time of year to finish work.

Hopingforno2 Tue 16-Jul-13 21:43:41

spotty the dvla letter was just to confirm that my license was in process incase I needed that proof as your still allowed to drive while they are doing that (they did have a backlog at the time) but they said to me 'that is as long as your doctor would deem you fit' so im assuming they neant I hadnt recently been told not to drive.

maggie and hellbunny sounds like you are both doing great. my hba1c roughly 33 weeks was told was too low hmm and I had to bring it up but then I was having daily at least 1 hypo

maggiethemagpie Wed 17-Jul-13 09:06:52

Can't believe they said it was too low hoping - didn't know it could go too low in pregnancy. I know there is risk of hypos but I found in my last pregnancy that some hypos were inevitable to stop the highs - it really is a case of being between a rock and a hard place, and I for one would rather have too many hypos than too many highs. What was your hba1c if you don't mind me asking?
I would say one mild hypo a day in late pregnancy is probably normal, obviously the less the better but it becomes a trade off situation of hypo or high for a lot of ladies.
I put my lantus up 4u last night and it seems to have made a difference, my reading this morning was 5.6 which is a lot more like it should be, just hope it does not send me low all day as it may throw my bolus dosages out.

Hopingforno2 Wed 17-Jul-13 18:51:16

maggie sorry I dont remeber exactly and I always asked for it in % so it was like 5.2% ish but was having 1 hypo a day on a good one myb 2-4 on a bad one like below 2 sometimes

Im ping ponging all over the place on holiday in blackpool so not eating in any way healthy blush

dieciocho Wed 17-Jul-13 21:25:03

Lucky you hoping to be on the beach in this amazing weather!

I just crashed to 1.9 an hour after dinner - I love the summer, but grrr not these blomming bgs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now