Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

T1 diabetes - bumps, births, babies & beyond!

(336 Posts)

New thread, form an orderly queue here please >>>

grin

bojangles Wed 20-Nov-13 15:08:51

Hu Rue, yes no 4 as type 1. Completey bonkers really but that biological clock was ticking very loudly grin. Wasn't easy sailing with my older ones but I'm fairly confident I know what to expect this time round! I've had many pregnancy complications from pre eclampsia, haemorrhage, blood transfusions, dka, prem baby and emergency sections thanks to the diabetes but still I'm crazy enough to go back there again.....note to self THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME !

I have the animas vibe pump and the cgm is built in so only one bit of kit to wear plus a sensor/ transmitter. I've self funded sensors for the last year and I really like them. It is expensive but I feel they are invaluable in getting on with life without worrying about being hypo. My last HbA1c was 6.2 % and I genuinely avoid going hypo I think mainly thanks to the sensor. The last few weeks have been more tricky as I've been having the first trimester lows and sometimes the sensor with its 20 min lag doesn't detect it dropping. I am happy to answer any questions on the cgm!

OttersPocket Wed 20-Nov-13 18:12:29

Hi bo

Yay - another Type 1 who is expecting! I've been feeling quite alone. I'm 7 weeks with my first. I've had a pump for 5 years now but unfortunately no amount of persuasion will get me a CGM.

I haven't experienced any first trimester lows yet - in fact quite the opposite. I seem to be cranking the insulin up and up and up despite the fact that I low carb and have not been eating much.

I'm traveling in the US with work this week too which is not helping my levels much. It's all such a stress!

bojangles Wed 20-Nov-13 18:46:33

Hi Otters,
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I found my insulin needs increased in the first weeks but around week 8-9 it dropped and I had to reduce my basal rates by around 20-30% and was much more cautious over my bolus e.g I would combo bolus for the a bit less than my carb ratio but then end up cancelling the combo as I was low.......I would be cautious in case same happens to you. To cope with the higher levels I usually ran a higher temp basal rate after every meal but in fairness I have eaten purely carbs for the last 11 weeks to combat nausea and I'm usually a low carb girl!

With my CGM I sorted it out direct with animas and have just paid for it myself. It is expensive as sensors are £185 for 4 and the transmitter is £350. The sensors are only guaranteed for 7 days but I usually get 14 days out of them so monthly cost is around £100 plus you have to factor in the transmitter which is only guaranteed for 6 months. They replaced my first transmitter as it ran out at 6 months and 1 day so I have only paid the £350 once and been using the cgm for 1year now. I think the costs are similar for the stand alone dexcom 7.

Which pump are you ?

OttersPocket Wed 20-Nov-13 19:49:41

Hey bo

Thanks for the head's up on the changing bs levels. My basal rates are up 25% from pre-preg rates and I'm having to keep increasing my bolus ratios too. I took 3.5 units for a cheese omlette this morning! Luckily I haven't had too much nausea yet - although I'm weirdly having a strong aversion to hot food at the moment so eating a lot of salads.

I have a Medtronic Veo pump. I'd love the CGM to go with it but it's just not something I could afford at the moment (DP and I bought a doer upper house literally the week before my BFP so we are truly broke atm). i might try and raise it again at the hospital next week.

For the past 5 days I've been having high readings of about 10 during the night at about 2am. I'm nervous about increasing my basal overnight but I guess I had better do it...

It's all a bit of a headf**k if you'll excuse the expression! I've had HbA1c's of between 6-6.9 for the past 5 years but pregnancy is really challenging my control angry

Hopingforno2 Wed 20-Nov-13 22:19:26

spotty shock the hospital messed up your sliding scale?! Definitely complain!

newbie I kept getting told I will lose all hypo awareness and its dangerous to have my hba1c so low? Sure it wont be as good in January when I next have dsn.

rue I had to wait till 12 weeks after my post natal check at gp but your wait is really long!

Hi to bojangles and otter smile

otter my DSN funded one sensor for a CGM when I was pregnant with DS1, it was a revelation! Worth asking your clinic I reckon, they might agree.

Nia80 Wed 20-Nov-13 23:10:29

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread. I was about to start a new one looking for fellow diabetics but then I came across this one.....

Type 1 16 years - since my DD was a few months old. No diabetes picked up during pregnancy but she was 10lbs 4oz born . We're now TTC our 2nd and fingers crossed will be expecting in the New Year. I have lots to learn about diabetes during pregnancy......

Will have a read back through the previous messages on here to see what is going on.

Nia

Hopingforno2 Thu 21-Nov-13 11:58:50

Hi nia welcome wow thats really rubbish they didnt pick it up during your pregnancy with your dd! Or is the gtt a relatively new test?

Theres a few of us post natal and some pregnant also a good mix of us on pumps and mdi so ask anything I found more help on here than anywhere else smile

Nia80 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:44:35

hi Hopingforno2, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming months.
I was diagnosed when my DD was 8 mths old so whether I developed it in pregnancy is questionable but given her size I'd say it's likely (though no medic would ever agree lol). I was never offered a gtt.

Am guessing from your username that you are a mum already and TTC? How old is your LO?

Have done so much research on the internet about diabetes and pregnancy which I found really scary so it will be good to hear from people who have really experienced it.

I'm fearful at the moment about being induced and then needing a CS. Have a real phobia about operations. Struggling to get any information locally about hospital policy.
I went for a pre-natal visit a few weeks ago and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. no one knew what to do with me and wondered why I was there.
I've started taking 5mgs of folic acid (requested from GP following my own research) and managed to get my HbA1c down to 6.6% but am hoping to better this before January. It is the best result I've ever had so am really pleased that the hard work is paying off.

Hi nia I've had two pre term inductions, first forceps but second nice easy delivery smile well done on your hba1c. I hope you get decent care just from this thread you can tell how different the standard of care is between areas

Hopingforno2 Thu 21-Nov-13 17:20:51

Hi nia I have 2 dc now my youngest is 7 months and my oldest 5 years now but when I joined I was ttc dc 2 and havent namechanged.

your hba1c is great!I only got prescribed 5mg folic acid when I found out I was pregnant so its good you already have it. Antenatal care when your a t1 is very different from a normal pregnancy and varies from area to area. Where are you(very roughly obv lol)? For me I was at a clinic from 6 weeks every 4 weeks unless bg was playing up till 36 weeks then every 2-3 weeks till 36 weeks then twice a week for monitoring and t1 are delivered at 38 weeks in my area. Lots more scans too with ds it was 8,12,20,28,32,34 and 36 weeks. With dd I had other issues that were not to do with diabetes and was scanned even more but dd is a happy 7 m9nth old now. I had an elcs with dd and it was very straightforward I was 1st down and home after 2 days.

How old is your dd? From your post around 17?

Hopingforno2 Thu 21-Nov-13 17:24:06

*34 weeks

My control is awful I just can't stabilise it! Was 6.7 before lunch but 3.1 after. I had a toffee crisp blush and it shot up to 15. I'm injecting 2u/10g+2u for luck hmm but I'm still struggling. I didn't eat all of my lunch so that's the only reason it went low. Gah.

Nia80 Sun 24-Nov-13 02:37:16

Hi SpottyTeacakes, it is really reassuring to hear that neither of your preterm inductions ended up with a CS. I am so scared by the idea. I was 42+6 when my DD was born (very overdue, they kept delaying induction and by 42+6 it wasn't required!) I had a long (38hrs) but fairly easy labour and am worried they would intervene this time around.

Reading back over a few of your posts it sounds like you've been having a bad time of it lately. Horrible time of the year for illness - especially with little ones picking up all sorts of bugs and bringing them home to us. I hope you are feeling much better really soon.
Do you ever find that you drop a bit low soon after lunch but still have a stomach full of undigested food. So the hypo treatment on top can cause sugars to soar. I get this a lot and am still trying to find a way of getting insulin absorption to match food digestion. Much easier said than done.

Hopingforno2 thank you so much for the info about extra scans and appts. Thank goodness I live quite close to the hospital as it sounds like a lot of visits. I'm in the South Wales area. Did they tell you why babies are routinely delivered at 38 weeks in your area? Would be interesting to find out the policy in different areas of the UK. Were you also diabetic when having your oldest child?
My DD will be 17 next year. Quite a big age gap. I've forgotten pretty much everything I ever knew about babies

I'm just struggling with my ratios at the moment. I thought I had my levemir sorted but after going to bed at 6.7 I've woken up at 11.2sad tbh I still haven't sorted it from finishing breast feeding and now the illness on top of it!

It obviously depends on your consultant, mine was very pro vaginal delivery if possible and with ds all I had was one pessary and everything else just happened. I think it's more likely to work with it being your second too smile

Hopingforno2 Sun 24-Nov-13 08:46:43

Hi nia yes diabetic with both. It was explained to me as being due to the placenta ageing more quickly than a normal one though they are not sure why this happens, in fact it was put quite bluntly to me 1st time round that diabetics babys were more likely to be stillborn after 38 weeks and were usually big by then. In my 2nd pregnancy with dd at one point I thought they may deliver even quicker as growth scans said she was on course to be 10lbs at 38 weeks but she came out at 8lbs 6.5oz so they can be inaccurate lol. I think most of the ladies in here have been no later than 38 weeks?? With my ds I went in to labour myself at 38 weeks though then had my waters broken and a pitocin drip unfortunately at the pushing stage an hour in he was not making an appearance so I had an emcs. Which is the reason for the elcs with dd plus size they were concerned about shoulder becoming stuck. That said you have had a successful labour so no reason why 2nd shouldn't go just as smoothly smile I think im the exception rather than the rule iswim.

spotty snap have a cold thats lingering a bit keeo thinking I have my ratio sorted but then can go to bed at 5 and wake up at 4am in the teens very frustrating and can go low one day but the next with same food insulin etc be high. I guess to be fair im not eating all that healthy blush

Eugh 20.1. I'm so fed up sad

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Nov-13 09:20:04

spotty just had one of those nights myself was 3.2 before bed so had something to eat at 3am I was 17.1!! Took 3.5 units woke again at 6am 15.2?!took 4 more units and thankfully by 8.15 was 6.8 but im expecting a crash at some point confused and the dsn says dont correct at night!

Argh this cold is ruining everything. 14u for a portion of spaghetti carbonara and it was still 9.2 two hours later

Anothermrssmith Wed 04-Dec-13 22:46:10

Hi ladies,been lurking for a while but think its time to well and truly settle in here...

Up until now everything been going really well but had my routine clinic appointment today and baby is big,measuring roughy 39 weeks and I'm only 33+5, estimated weight 7lbs. Got to have another scan in two weeks and a plan will be made from there but got a feeling im going to end up needing a section. Wouldn't mind if I hadn't been trying really hard to keep my sugars under control and for the most part they have been but all seems to have gone to pot in the last few weeks. Always knew this was a possibility of course but I've had a perfect,textbook pregnancy up until now.

Anyone been told similar and had a happy ending?

Hopingforno2 Thu 05-Dec-13 09:00:44

Hi anothermrssmith I was told with dd that she was big though they didnt say in weeks just that she was likely to be 10lbs or over at 38 weeks!! This was one of the reasons I had an elcs but not the only one my ds I was given drip despite already being 3cm dilated without any intervention and it ended in emcs they advised against induction due to the small risk of scar rupture and dd supposed size but in the end dd was 8lbs 6.5oz and in all honesty the elcs was not a bad experience at all very organised and calm smile

VJONES1985 Tue 17-Dec-13 18:02:13

Hi all. I'm 5+0 weeks pg with baby no 1, am 28 years old and had type one for 27 years.

Now,I'm very anxious!!! Having an early scan next Monday but not really sure why this is necessary? Any tips from one diabetic to another? Thanks in advance.

SpottyChristmasCakes Wed 18-Dec-13 06:35:04

Everyone I need your help! Control had been awful since I DKA'd and now I'm ill. I've got a fever and bm of 16. We're off to London today. I can't remember what I'm meant to do when I'm ill sad

Ps to any newbies who can help I'm not pregnant anymore so don't need to worry about that!

Hopingforno2 Wed 18-Dec-13 09:48:20

spotty you poor thing its so hard when your ill I dont think ive ever been told what to do I tend to just test and correct more often though whether thats the right thing to do im not sure. Having a rubbish time just now too so will watch with interest to see advice my ds was ill now dd has bronchiolitis so odds r im next.

vjones welcome smile

SpottyChristmasCakes Wed 18-Dec-13 19:06:14

We've had an awful time too, after I was in hospital dd had a chest infection (nearly hospitalised) and dp and ds had an ear infection. Oh and even better I got an infection in my finger from testing!!

I can tell my level is sky high atm but need to get ds to sleep we haven't been home long from London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now