Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

T1 diabetes - bumps, births, babies & beyond!

(336 Posts)

New thread, form an orderly queue here please >>>

grin

Congratulations Maggie! Lovely name dd was 8lb at 36 weeks and ds 7lb18 at 35+4 shockgrin my hba1c was below six but neither were planned so I think maybe that contributed?

I've got a cold and I feel rubbish. Bm 20 this morning sad

Ooh I dunno Maggie - my HbA1c for DD was 5.5, and she turned up at 39+3 weighing 9lbs8 grin control wasn't quite as good for DS2, but still around 6, he was 37+5 and 10lbs8 shock

We'll ignore DS1, he is a surviving triplet born at 31+3, and weighed 3lbs8!

All were planned PGs and control good beforehand.

Argh woken up at 20 again!! This is the worst cold I've had in ages do they effect everyone like this? I've injected 10u as my correction is1:1 at the moment but I don't want to start yo-yo ing which is what happened yesterday.

BonaDea Tue 15-Oct-13 21:02:12

Ladies. I've come for a shake.

My control is all over the place and I feel like I'm not on top of things like I usually am. I'm eating carbs like they are going out of fashion - not just sweet stuff but pasta, crisps, all sorts confused I'm hypo-ing and hyper-ing like mad. I wake up in the morning scared to test and with not the first idea of what will be on the meter. I've gone literally years without a reading in the high teens and now I've had several of 20+. I'm so ashamed because I understand my ratios and what to do but I'm just not doing it.

I'm due to go for bloods but I can face it as I'm worried about my hba1c. I know what I have to do, but seem to have fallen spectacularly off the wagon.

My poor DS is probably getting horrible, poor quality milk as a result.

Someone please slap me. And sorry for the me me me post. I hope you are all well.

BonaDea Tue 15-Oct-13 21:07:59

Ps congratulations maggie and I love the name.

SpookyTeacakes Wed 16-Oct-13 06:35:49

Bona I'm the same as you blush but as ds is on nursing strike I know my insulin requirements have dramatically increased but I can't be bothered to try and sort it

Hopingforno2 Wed 16-Oct-13 09:20:09

bona and spotty if it makes you feel better ive never been good at cutting out carbs blush though I do obv try n take the correct insulin for what I eat. That being said im still yoyoing have been changing ratios with dinner being a big problem in that if I do 2:10 im low before bed if I do 1.5:10 I rise steadily from 9pm-12 and now again find the only way I can get a good morning reading is to test around 3-4am when I can be anything from 8.5-12 and take a correction sad answers on a postcard plz lol

SpookyTeacakes Wed 16-Oct-13 09:22:54

I'm not a low carber but I have been eating lots of chocolate and skittles blush

Hopingforno2 Wed 16-Oct-13 09:34:36

spotty cant say I like skittles, chocolate on the other hand wink most weeks I try to not have anything sweet mon-fri then allow myself some at weekends otherwise id cave n binge. Often find my bg is more stable at weekends hmm not sure how that works

BonaDea Sat 19-Oct-13 11:36:49

I wouldn't say I low carb either but I do try to be a bit sensible. Although I can work out how much insulin to take even with carby things I do find that the higher the carb level of a meal the more chance there is of getting it slightly out and ending up high or low. And when I say I've been bad, I've been really bad - like the other night I have a big bag of kettle chips and a packet of biscuits for dinner. I mean ffs!!

Ooh Spotty, you've gone Spooky! grin

Hopingforno2 Tue 22-Oct-13 14:15:02

Well hba1c was 5.8 with some hypos tho not as many still I have to 'relax' shouldnt be correcting at 3am thlhmm id far rather have hypos than be running high.

newbie6 Sun 10-Nov-13 22:10:51

Just found out hba1c is 5.5, well chuffed! That's me 10mths post baby so pleased I've managed to keep control smile

Wow, impressive! I need to go for a blood test, not got hosp appt till next year (was the first available one shock) but they've asked me to get bloods done in the meantime. I don't want to, I suspect it's gone a bit mental...

I have found out that I am 13 weeks pregnant with identical twins! I guess that must be why I am more insulin resistant than in my last pregnancy. The other day I had a really bad migraine, which normally only happens when I am very high, but when I did a blood test I was 1.5mmol!

Hopingforno2 Sun 10-Nov-13 23:02:39

newbie what did they say to you just out of interest ive had 2 hba1c post baby 1st was 6 last 5.8 but consultant wants me to 'relax a bit' I appreciate that hypos r not something I want but neither is being high confused

Rue ive honestly thought that my hba1c woupd be really crap but some how its been good.
wont be for long got a crappy head cold so am either in the teens or low blush

thealyss very exciting!! How are your bg going?is it even harder with 2 babies?

I lost you all. I DKA'd following a horrendous sickness bug. I've just got out of hospital, my levels weren't that high when I was ill (11-15) but I ended up in the intensive treatment unit sad I got discharged yesterday but still feel awful. My potassium levels are really low and my heart rate is averaging 110bpm

Hopingforno2 Wed 20-Nov-13 12:41:13

Oh no spotty that sounds awful!! How are you now?

I was away for weekend for my 30th so 2 days of eating and drinking levels were up n down but mostly up blush

I'm ok but I still feel awful. Not sure how I'm going to get my potassium levels back up or heart rate down. Also finding it hard to get bm's below 12, they seem stuck there.

Oh Spotty, that sounds dreadful! Re potassium, aren't bananas and dried apricots meant to help? Though tbh I'd go and get a supplement for a while I think!

I've finished all my slow k, they only gave enough to last this morning and I've got something which helps you to retain it confused

I think I'm going to have to complain to the hospital as they messed up my sliding scale (1.8-31 over nightshock) my consultant wasn't happy. They hadn't been continuing with my bolus so just giving the act rapid through the drip hmm it probably added another day or two onto my recovery

bojangles Wed 20-Nov-13 14:02:02

Hi all. Can I join thread? I'm 11weeks with baby no 4. Type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump and cgm.......not been too bad so far, quite a few lows but no bad hypos yet and thankfully my sensor has been picking up my dropping sugars well. Off for NT scan next week and then I can be 'officially pregnant'.

I haven't read the whole thread so so will have to catch up with who is pregnant and how far on.

Spotty, that sounds horrid. I had similar with my dc2 after a tummy bug but don't remember issues with potassium levels. How many weeks are you? Hope you are feeling better soon.

bojangles Wed 20-Nov-13 14:06:58

Sorry spotty, having just read through bit of thread looks like you've already had your baby, doh! X

Hi, bo grin

I'm on a pump too, paradigm veo but don't have the cgm. There's one or two others who are looking at it, but nobody else has one yet - you can help sing their praises lol.

I think most of us are postnatal now, my ds (dc3) is 6 months old, I've been type 1 for 30 years so have done 3 pregnancies with it now - is this pg 4 with type 1 for you? If so, respeck grin

newbie6 Wed 20-Nov-13 15:04:51

Hi hoping,

My doctor wasn't happy, said it was too low and it needed to raise it. I'm mad as I test all the time to make sure I stay in a good range but he said, technically with 5.5 I'm not diabetic?! I just nodded and left as it's easier than trying to explain I just look after myself.

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now