Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon can you do a pregnancy test? And how reliable?

(14 Posts)
Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 21:50:43

...been a little while since I did a preg test,, but keen to know for various reasons..and just wandering how soon I can test and how reliable they are these days?

Thanks

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:07:38

Anyone, I don't want to waste money buying a test if its unreliable.

MolotovCocktail Tue 02-Jul-13 22:10:51

If you have regular periods, it's best to wait until you're 5 days past the day your period is due.

Pregnancy tests are very reliable; the longer you leave to test, the better as you can test too early and get a false negative. Certainly a good idea not to test before AF is due.

Good luck x

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:17:54

THank you, I am now 2 days late, so will try to wait until Friday, do you think that sounds ok?

Thisisfreakingmeout Tue 02-Jul-13 22:19:45

I got a strong positive the day before due date but I understand this was lucky. They give stats on the back
If the pack about their accuracy. Most say 99% on the day of your missed period, who knows ?

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:20:14

If I wait until then, it will be 3 weeks since we dtd? Does that sound ok?

The main reason I'm so keen to known is because I'm going on a hen night on sat and am nervous the girls will notice if I don't drink, so I want to be sure its ok to have a few- what would you all do?
I'm getting myself in a right pickle.

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:43:39

A First Response early test should show up positive by now if you are pregnant, personally I've always been fine with poundland tests even a day or two before missed period so maybe buy a cheap test and see what it says. Best ones I've used are a pink dye test from Home Bargains which was 99p for 2 tests smile

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:44:32

Meant to say, that was positive 4 days before period due this pregnancy, 5 days before due last pregnancy.

MolotovCocktail Wed 03-Jul-13 11:28:40

I've always done £1 Shop pg tests too, but have waited until I was 5 days late because I've had many, many negatives and thy start to hurt after a little while.

OP, if I were you, I'd test on Friday. You should have an accurate result by then, and you'll know whether you can let go or give the old 'I'm on antibiotics/I feel a bit iffy today' cherry wink

maja00 Wed 03-Jul-13 11:30:02

Most are very accurate if you test on the day your period is due.

Spookey80 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:55:42

Thankyou Molotov for youre advice, that is my plan exactly.

Spookey80 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:00:00

Actually I'm a fibber, I tested yesterday and it was positive!
Aaahh, very early though.
Gonna have to work on my poker face as I'm a crap liar!

Writerwannabe83 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:02:55

Congratulations!!!!!

MolotovCocktail Sun 07-Jul-13 08:09:26

Congratulations, Spookey grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now