Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can a baby grow this fast?

(3 Posts)
gloti Tue 02-Jul-13 16:59:39

I know I have another post going but I wanted to check with you lovely people if this is something to worry about...

My baby has always been normal sized according to all the scans (I've had loads due to high BMI). My MW on Sunday told me when feeling my belly that the baby was breech but he might still turn as she felt there was loads of room and 'baby is a lovely size - not too big, so we should be able to turn him if needed'

Today I went for the 36 week scan and they tell me that my baby has gone from 1.8kgs to 3.3kgs in 4 weeks!! This is double the size and I still have another 4 weeks to go... blush

I'm now wondering if there has been a mistake in my previous scan or the one today as that growth rate seems to be too fast? Also, how did the midwife say he was normal size and the scan says he's over 95th percentile? I have another MW appt on Thursday, do you think I can ask for another scan just to be sure?

Has any of you experienced this kind of growth and go on to have a normal delivery and normal sized baby?

mustardtomango Tue 02-Jul-13 17:05:20

Hi gloti, I've read that between 23 weeks and 27 weeks the baby doubles in size, but I don't know about later on. Sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon x

TarkaTheOtter Tue 02-Jul-13 18:33:09

I don't know about growth but remember that the scans are not particularly accurate as they are only "guesstimating" the weight from measurements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now