Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

excess fluid

(10 Posts)
pinkr Mon 01-Jul-13 11:52:55

been to midwife this morning and I'm measuring 40 at 32 Weeks. I measured fine last time so she doesn't think it's a huge baby. I've to get a scan tomorrow hopefully but was wondering if anyone had had this?

Ohcrapwhathaveidone Tue 02-Jul-13 18:14:35

Afraid I don't have any advice but I am in the same position. Just been to midwife appointment (28wks now) and told I'm measuring big so have to go for a scan tomorrow to check everything.

Lets hope someone knowledgable comes along in a bitgrin

Just realised you posted this yesterday-how did your scan go?

pinkr Tue 02-Jul-13 20:35:11

Thanks for replying! All seems ok...combination of big baby, measuring two Weeks ahead eek, and a lot of excess fluid. To get a diabetes check tomorrow but the consultant reckoned my baby making facilities are running super efficiently and essentially doing their job too well! Trying to get my head round the fact I might be having a whopper!

Ohcrapwhathaveidone Tue 02-Jul-13 21:05:53

Ah glad all seems ok, but yep I'm scaring myself already about the prospect of giving birth to a whoppershock!

Is this your first DC? Do u feel uncomfortable and tight?

It's my 2nd DC (DD 2.3) no issues at all with my first pregnancy but this time I feel really big/uncomfortable and my bump is sooo tight! I'm only 28 weeks so really panicking about how big I could get!

Also one more question!- are u now classed as high risk? Only I had a home birth with my first and was hoping on doing it again.

Anywho sorry for all the questionsblush

Hope all goes well with your diabetes test.

pinkr Tue 02-Jul-13 21:20:59

Hi...yes it's my first. I feel very tight and hard. It's very uncomfortable right under my chest. They didn't say anything about risk and I assume they'll just let me carry on as normal...they said they'd be much more worried if I had lots of fluid and a small baby so I guess it's a positive thing!

Teaandflapjacks Tue 02-Jul-13 21:26:32

I don't know if this helps you but I live in Germany and this measuring bump business went out with the ark here. Honestly - they just measure with a scan and thats is it - we have more scans here than in the UK. I think this bump measuring is a cost saving measure by the NHS and so many factors can affect the size of your bump - water retention, how baby is lying, number of children, how your stomach muscles were before, how tall you are etc etc. Although I do have my weight measured every 4 weeks, and everyone, regardless, has the GTT test here.

But personally - I cant see the link between diabetes and a large bump, unless the lady has a high BMI. And there is always a margin for error with scans too. In any case it is great that you had a scan and all seems to be going well. And also remember that some babies might be a bit heavier, but regular length, some might be a bit longer but not as heavy, some have bigger heads etc etc, so it does all depend on all the sizing factors from a scan to decide how far 'ahead' the baby is. This is why the date from the 12 week scan for delivery is considered the most accurate, as pretty much all babies are the same size at this stage of development.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/pregnancy-and-family/pregnancy-health/does-your-bump-size-matter.htm

Basically - don't worry! Hope all goes well with your test. I had it and it was fine, even if the drink was terribly sweet! xx

Teaandflapjacks Tue 02-Jul-13 21:27:55

p.s. just think to yourself you have created a very nice cocoon for your little one to have a float about in!

Sheshelob Tue 02-Jul-13 21:32:16

Measuring the bump missed my enormo child until my scan at 41 weeks. I have a long back so measured correctly for dates because said behemoth had plenty of room to wiggle about punch me in the cervix

If you are having a big 'un, my advice is to check out all the realities of delivering a whopper. I believed it when the midwives told me some women can breathe out 11 pounders without so much as a scratch. I was not one of them.

There are websites with info about macrosomic babies. Check them out.

pinkr Tue 02-Jul-13 23:02:13

I like the idea of the prefect cocoon thanks!

Newmum0113 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:25:53

I was 11 lbs at birth and my poor little mum was only a size 10 and 5'2" tall.

Luckily for her, she went to the loo in the morning, where her waters broke. She felt like i would fall out so ended up crawling thru the kitchen on the floor in hands and knees til she reached the dining room where I was born 15 minutes later. I guess gravity took over! grin

She spent most of that trying to hold me in while waiting for the ambulance to arrive (but my dad just phoned 999 and said come quick my wife's having the baby, and hung up. No details given!)

Luckily my nan was there and knew what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now