Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Wipes in hospital

(53 Posts)
Gonnabmummy Sun 30-Jun-13 14:14:00

Just wondering if any mums went ahead and used wipes anyway?

I am 31+4 with first and been thinking about this a bit today so decided to post. Hospital encourage you to only use cotton wool and water to start, I was wondering what they would say if you didn't?
I've got some of the Huggins pure wipes And they say they are as pure as wool and water.
I think wipes will be so much easier as I've read on here meconium is very hard to get off. What did everyone else do? I know they will pressure me into cotton wool and water but is it bad to use wipes what would happen if I did?
My mum used wipes for both me and Dsis when we were in hosp and every new mum I've seen at home in the first couple days also used them. I just don't want to be made out to be a bad mum straight away if this is the case I will just use wool and water but I don't see a problem with the 'gentler' wipes.

Longfufu Mon 01-Jul-13 07:08:52

I used cotton wool and water for the first 3 months or so, I just brought a big roll of cotton wool so I could pull off as much as I needed...much cheaper IMO.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 01-Jul-13 07:15:03

I bought a big box of water wipes from amazon, but make sure someone else is in to help you lift the box as my delivery guy dumped it on the front step along with a travel cot and legged it, as soon as I had signed for it. Luckily DH was in.

I can't touch cotton wool, makes my skin crawl and me feel sick. So no chance in using. Also going to try the Vaseline on bum before first poo.

rainbowfeet Mon 01-Jul-13 07:21:19

Funny how hospitals & staff differ!!

Dd1 ... 10 years ago no wipes allowed.

Ds1.. In 2012 different hospital I asked for a bowl for water to change him & midwife said "haven't you brought in any wipes"!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now