Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm so constipated *Frustrated Sigh*

(21 Posts)
GemmaD12 Sun 30-Jun-13 11:22:25

Hi ladies,

Ugh! Please tell me I am not the only one...

I'm so constipated!

I've honestly just spent 45 minutes in the bathroom with the 'urge' - but no result. I can almost go, I push like crazy and then... it retreats back in! (sorry tmi).

Am I also the only one who has to strain to go?

xx

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 30-Jun-13 11:28:26

Nope me to been really suffering on and off. Have piles too.
Bought some fibrogel which helps.

isitsnowingyet Sun 30-Jun-13 11:33:11

Porridge - best thing

Lots of water. Dried prunes, dried mango, dried apricots.

Sympathy, it's really not pleasant. Def not just you, lots of people get it.

Apple juice. A whole carton of the cheap clear stuff always works for me.
You can use glycerin suppositories though which are v v good at getting things moving.
Luckily I am not having this problem at mo as under a huge amount if stress, wouldn't recommend it as a cute though!wink

GemmaD12 Sun 30-Jun-13 11:46:19

Thanks smile

I never knew that going to the toilet could be so difficult.

Sitting there... desperate to go... and nothing will happen!

I hate it.

Kelly1814 Sun 30-Jun-13 11:50:30

i think this has been my number one hated symptom of pregnancy. above morning sickness and even relentless thrush.

after about 5 days of it feel so hideous could just weep.

lactolose and fybogel just gave me the most vile wind ever. pro-biotic tablets for the thrush seemed to help.

and in the end, sheer gravity/lack of space. it can't stay in there forever!

BreasticlesNTesticles Sun 30-Jun-13 11:51:09

You can use fibrogel I think when pregnant, but really shed loads of water sorts me out.

I found lots of soft fruit like peaches etc helped along with bananas. I had to take a dose of those natural senna tablets this week as my innards had ground to a halt! They do work but take a wee while. Tesco does their own version and they're safe in pregnancy.

It's horrible - makes me feel really bloated and ill

GemmaD12 Sun 30-Jun-13 12:25:07

Thanks smile

The most annoying thing about it for me is - when you have to admit defeat, give up and leave the bathroom, knowing full well that you'll be back there again in 30 minutes!

Does anyone agree?

yamsareyammy Sun 30-Jun-13 12:26:35

All bran
Each brand seems to have different amounts of fibre.
The higher the fibre the better. But would advise at least 7g per 100g[could be per serving, can never remember which]
My guess is that you wont need more than 2 servings to get things moving.
hth

Auntlinny Sun 30-Jun-13 12:28:24

Ohh, I remember that. Just awful. Kiwi fruit helped me.

picnicbasketcase Sun 30-Jun-13 12:35:13

Cloudy apple juice, like Innocent or Copella. Also dried apricots. Works every time.

A glass of prune juice every day worked wonders during my second pregnancy.

<Trots off to tesco for some apple juice>

Once in a week is quite enough for me!

katrinaxx Sun 30-Jun-13 18:27:42

dont use glycerine suppositories the doctor told me there dangerous because its to close to ur cervix and can be absorbed x

RNJ3007 Sun 30-Jun-13 18:31:08

katrinaxx After lactulose and fybogel failed, my doc prescribed me glycerol suppositories as it had been 3 weeks...

Signet2012 Sun 30-Jun-13 18:31:50

Dried apricots!!!!

Honestly.

I found them to be really vile but I just shoved them in my mouth chewed like hell whilst stamping my feet and humming
A glass of orange (with bits in) kept me regular and soft enough for it to come out for the rest of my pregnancy.

I had horrific constipation which had me sat sweat streaming down my face in the unfortunate position of it being stuck. I swear it weighed more than my baby did on the end and things down there have never been the same since! (Now that's tmi!!!)blush

curlywurlyllass Mon 01-Jul-13 11:47:03

So feel your pain! Plus a UTI at the same time, pretty unpleasant sad
The things they dont tell u about pregnancy!!
Hope you get some relief soon

vvviola Mon 01-Jul-13 11:50:21

Warm orange juice was my saviour. Squeeze an orange, top up with hot water. Worked as a cure & if I had it every other day, a preventative too. Also worked for nasty colds/flu during pregnancy too. I think I kept the orange growers in business!

effyzm Mon 01-Jul-13 14:29:54

I used to eat a whole bag of dried apricots. Liquorice is meant to be a laxative. Also you might be able to take extract of prunes as I don't think it's medicated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now