Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch & sweep at 41 weeks

(100 Posts)
webminx Sun 30-Jun-13 08:19:46

Off for a S&S today at 41 weeks. Bit nervous. What's likely to happen afterwards? Have heard stories of a) nothing happening as conditions were "unfavourable" or b) going straight into labour after the sweep.
Did you have a S&S and if so, what happened next? Did your waters break?

And God, does it have to be so hot!?

Underwood2013 Thu 11-Jul-13 13:05:22

We / they knew he would be a good size... But we were thinking 9lbs... Certainly no indication that he would be nearly 12lbs!!! Everyone asking if I had the glucose test during pregnancy and they were surprised when I said a) yes and b) results were fine... Bump was measuring within normal ranges as well... So apart from my painful spd and horribly swollen legs / ankles /feet there wasn't much else to go on!

Really enjoying cuddles now... It is lovely. :-)

Chesterado Wed 10-Jul-13 20:41:50

Wow Underworld that is just incredible (I thought mine was a whopper!). You must be very glad he is now safely here, it sounds like your body probably was trying to act in your best interests!

Did they have any clue he was so large? I'm musing over this at the moment as we were told all along to prepare for a big eg 9lb ish baby but at nearly ten and a half pounds its quite scary to think how lucky I was to avoid any complications really.

Hope you are enjoying lots of cuddles now!

Underwood2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 19:01:47

Hello all! Thanks for the positive thoughts...

It's been quite a ride... Cervix stayed stubborn! Since my last post a determined doc made his way 'up' to break my waters (OUCH) and gave me 2 hrs for the start of contractions else drip. Still nothing so they wanted to start the hormone drip. I demanded an epidural as I'd read / heard too much about the pain & speed of drip contractions. Another 2 hrs later my cervix STILL had not changed but baby's heart rate was slightly elevated.... So from there a very rapid succession of consultants came to review the situation and before I knew it I was signing consent for c-section. Fast forward about an hour and I was in recovery with a lovely (albeit surprisingly HUGE) baby boy.

Crazy overwhelming experience but the hospital staff were brilliant at all phases as was dh. DS was a whopping 11lbs 15 oz - so I think all this was his way of telling us that no way was he planning to exit via the natural channel!!! Although I did not want a c it was a blessing in disguise - he looks like a 3mo baby and I can't imagine pushing him out!

Sorry for the ramble but thought maybe some of you may want to hear the rest of the story!

Chesterado Wed 10-Jul-13 13:25:38

Congratulations MrF, also hoping things have finally kicked off and going ok for Underwood.

What a difference a week makes, it seems ever so strange realising I was still pregnant this time last week!

tumbletumble Wed 10-Jul-13 07:31:13

Fantastic, well done Frankly on your little girl. What a brilliant speedy labour!

How's it going choco and underwood?

MrFranklyShankly Tue 09-Jul-13 22:33:33

Hey ladies well my little woman arrived in the early hrs of yesterday morn!!! My waters broke on Sunday night and 2 hrs later our beautiful little lady arrived....dh just made it to the hospital in time!!! Underwood really hope things are happening for you as we speak....thanks ladies for all the support in the last few days. F x

webminx Tue 09-Jul-13 19:52:32

Congrats Chester! Wonderful news :-)
Fingers crossed for you Frankly and sending you lots of luck for progress soon Underwood!

Underwood2013 Mon 08-Jul-13 06:43:01

Hey Choco & Frankly... I'm still here. Stayed in hospital overnight and have had two lots of gel... I think I must have the most stubborn cervix on the planet. Still not yet in labour. sad

Hope things are going better for others!!

MrFranklyShankly Sat 06-Jul-13 21:52:14

Congrats Chester, delighted to hear another positive about induction and for quiet a big baba as well....well done you....enjoy all that lovely newborn stuff now congrats again x

Never worry choco I'd say I'll be the last to go....not due to be induced until next thurs :-( but have been having mild on/off contraction type pains all day....but I'm not storing much hope by it!

Good luck underwood, sounds like your next....at least your on the right path now hope it keeps up for you....will be waiting to hear ;-)

Underwood2013 Sat 06-Jul-13 20:41:34

Congrats Chester - I am quite jealous!!! I am still in pessary mode with mild contractions... At home. Hoping it picks up over night...

Never fear Choco... I'm still here with you!

Chocomama1 Sat 06-Jul-13 20:31:20

Wow well done guys.... so pleased for you. How exciting...
feel like i'll be the last one left sad

tumbletumble Sat 06-Jul-13 20:24:03

Another baby!! Congratulations chester, so glad that being induced was not too bad for you.

Chesterado Sat 06-Jul-13 20:08:43

We have another baby! He's a bit of a whopper at over 10lb but as far as the induction saga went it couldn't have gone better - contractions started really quickly and it was all over in a few hours. We even got to transfer to the midwife unit and have him in the pool. Can't quite believe he ever fitted inside me but he's absolutely gorgeous.

Hope it's all going well for you Underwood and lots of positivity to anyone else worried about being induced, it has all worked out ok for us in the end x

Underwood2013 Sat 06-Jul-13 16:08:25

Update... Pessary in and back home waiting for it to work its magic... Having some light contractions but hoping it escalates else it's gel tomorrow morning...

Anyone else have any updates or happy news??

MrFranklyShankly Fri 05-Jul-13 20:13:29

Congrats webminx delighted you have it all over now and can enjoy your little man

Underwood2013 Fri 05-Jul-13 19:58:10

Congrats webminx - fantastic news!!!!!

Chesterado Fri 05-Jul-13 19:14:40

Congratulations, so glad all ended well!

tumbletumble Fri 05-Jul-13 19:09:51

Congratulations webminx, fab news! Hope he is feeding well now.

Chocomama1 Fri 05-Jul-13 18:15:19

Ahhhh so happy for you webminx and well done!!!!

purpleaura Fri 05-Jul-13 18:12:17

Huge contrast webminx!!!

Chocomama1 Fri 05-Jul-13 18:07:52

I bet webminx is in labour as we speak!!

webminx Fri 05-Jul-13 18:07:49

Baby webminx born today - long labour as his head was to one side (exactly like DS1!) but had wonderful community midwives who encouraged and supported me throughout so he was able to be born at home. Exhausted but delighted - he's a little smasher! Now if only he would latch on and eat SOMETHING! Congrats to all I've missed and best of luck to those still waiting! It'll be worth it in the end :-)

Underwood2013 Fri 05-Jul-13 17:19:27

Good luck choco!!

Keep me posted chester - hoping we both have some good news in the next day or so!!

Chesterado Fri 05-Jul-13 16:57:48

Yep race tomorrow may well still be on. Having not slept much last night I almost don't want anything to happen now so I can try to get some sleep ahead of tomorrow. Easier said than done though with everything going through my mind.

Either way, great that Katy has kicked things off, but this thread still needs more babies (wonders if webminx has one yet...)

Chocomama1 Fri 05-Jul-13 16:35:48

Im 4/5s engaged so midwife just told me he is ready to come out now...any minute. So excited....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now