Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch & sweep at 41 weeks

(100 Posts)
webminx Sun 30-Jun-13 08:19:46

Off for a S&S today at 41 weeks. Bit nervous. What's likely to happen afterwards? Have heard stories of a) nothing happening as conditions were "unfavourable" or b) going straight into labour after the sweep.
Did you have a S&S and if so, what happened next? Did your waters break?

And God, does it have to be so hot!?

Chesterado Tue 02-Jul-13 10:15:25

Webminx I feel your pain. Two hours of regular contractions here last night, started to get excited then they completely stopped. Nothing since and if one more person tells me to have a curry....

No more sweeps booked here, induction looms on Saturday. I am going to try some acupuncture tomorrow as final resort.

Thinking positive baby thoughts for everyone fed up of waiting!

webminx Tue 02-Jul-13 10:31:13

Totally agree about the curries. Also "have a nice long walk" makes me quite stabby.
I had reflexology, which a couple of times in the last 2 weeks, which I found to be very helpful (got twinges/contractions each time afterwards) so am sure acupuncture will be really effective! Good luck!

Chocomama1 Tue 02-Jul-13 10:33:56

Keep calm as possible...more calm you are more will happen. My period feeling has stopped sad

MrFranklyShankly Tue 02-Jul-13 13:07:07

Oh ladies really hope that this is just all building up and there will be babies for you all soon....getting slightly nervous now about my sweep never had one before and this is dc3....sending positive vibes to you all ;-) keep thinking flowers opening!!!!

Katydive Tue 02-Jul-13 14:40:12

Good luck with the second webminx, I also have my second sweep tomorrow (am 10 days over today) losing so much mucas/discharge (sorry for tmi!) it's untrue. I've had so many various pains and niggles over the past three weeks it's untrue and until I get what I actually think are good strong pains I'm not saying a word to anyone. I have even just walked around Kiddicare with a friend for two hours! Honestly I'm so used to going to bed and walking up with nothing happening I'm going to be so surprised when it does! When are you booked in for Induction? I'm down for Friday which is a nightmare as its my sons first sports day sad really wanted a water birth but if I am going to be induced I want every drug going!

tumbletumble Tue 02-Jul-13 18:47:17

Good luck to all of the heavily pregnant ladies on this thread!! How are you all feeling?

Chesterado Tue 02-Jul-13 20:12:39

Still very much pregnant here - and knackered from walking and cleaning frenzy (yep I have been on my hands and knees scrubbing, wont bother with that again).

Katy fingers crossed it doesn't get to Friday, however re waterbirth I have agreed to go into be induced on Sat (plus 12) because they've said if the pessary kicks off labour quickly I can still transfer to midwife unit, where as if I leave it any later I will be post dates and can't.

MrFranklyShankly Tue 02-Jul-13 21:05:33

Had sweep today at 3.30 and haven't had as much as a cramp :-(( the only thing I've managed is to nearly kill myself trying to get myself of the examination table after having the sweep!!! Not even as much as a twinge :-((( hope ye are having better luck x

Chocomama1 Tue 02-Jul-13 21:49:54

Im feeling so much pressure like i need to do a number 2. Painful to walk the pressure is alot
I dont know what this means?

Katydive Tue 02-Jul-13 21:52:34

Chesterado- that sounds like a good idea after pessary, I will ask mw tomorrow.

Mr- give it until tomorrow, I lost my 'plug' 24 hours later, I may be wrong but I read somewhere that if the sweep is successful it will often be between 24-48 hours later, I did have mild period pain after but this soon vanished!

Tomorrow is another day and we still have tonight!

webminx Tue 02-Jul-13 22:51:13

Nothing doing here. Although baby has now, I believe, engaged if the fact that I can't really sit down or walk up the stairs without wincing is any indicator...
I've also been "told" by MW that induction on day 12 is the next step but that's to be discussed tomorrow. Thinking of requesting that we wait til 14 days over before meddling but then I think a homebirth will be a definite non-starter sad.

Fingers crossed we all go into lovely, quick, almost painless labour overnight and have our babies by morning...

Underwood2013 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:01:53

Just reading this thread and it gives me some hope of the possibility that things can change quickly...

Have had 2 sweep attempts at 40+3 and again today at 40+8... Both failed as Cx closed for business. Gutted as am booked for induction Saturday (+12) and really want baby to come on his own before then!! had a few tears earlier in front of midwife (awkward!). Fun times.

chesterado I went for acupuncture yesterday... Nothing happening yet but am holding out hope that it does something. Good luck for your session!

webminx Wed 03-Jul-13 08:12:01

Nada. Second S&S today. Counting down the hours with grim determination. Has anyone had more success overnight?

MrFranklyShankly Wed 03-Jul-13 09:02:51

Good luck 2day webminx, hope something comes from this sweep for you.....nothing happening here at all....booked for induction next Thursday so at this stage ill go with whatever! But hopefully like you say Katydive says things can change and happen at any time, will keep that in mind....keep us updated web ;-)

Underwood2013 Wed 03-Jul-13 09:16:48

Nothing happening here either sad

Good luck w s&s today web!

Chesterado Wed 03-Jul-13 09:29:04

Nothing here either. Sorry to hear acupuncture has had no impact yet Underwood, I'm going this afternoon, if nothing else it gets me out of the house and feels vaguely constructive.

Good luck for second sweep webminx, this one has also engaged and feels like it is about to fall out. Very strange feeling as my first didn't - currently clinging to the fact I went into labour with her at ten days over, now nine with this one so by precedent at least it should all kick off tomorrow.

Katydive Wed 03-Jul-13 11:45:03

Well just had my 2nd sweep, cervix well open to 1cm and it was so soft she was able to stretch to 7cm! Good sweep around baby's head she was t it for about 3 minutes!

Surprised me by booking me in for induction tomorrow morning at 8am, she is confident they will be ble to break my waters so a possible water birth after all.

I have huge waves of pain though now after sweep so am keeping a close eye on timings, fingers crossed for all x

Underwood2013 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:10:32

Great result Katy!!! Fingers crossed you get to have that water birth... Good luck!!!

MrFranklyShankly Wed 03-Jul-13 12:11:36

Good luck Katy all sounds promising, either way you should be holding your lovely little bundle by tomorrow night....so exciting :-)

mrsyattering Wed 03-Jul-13 12:13:49

Had mine at 41 weeks, was painful and not favourable. Was booked for induction 3 days later, waters broke the night before at midnight and ds was born at 730 am

Chocomama1 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:14:33

Good luck Katy!!

Still nothing..slight period pains but thats it.

Wonder who out of us will go first!!

webminx Wed 03-Jul-13 12:48:29

Oooh Katy that sounds very exciting - fingers crossed for you! You may be able to go to that sports day yet :-)

Chesterado Wed 03-Jul-13 16:14:27

Good luck Katy, I think my money's on you!

webminx Wed 03-Jul-13 21:12:10

Keeping fingers crossed for you Katy!

Well, second S&S showed no real progress. Booked in for monitoring and "a chat about induction" for Friday morning. Apparently, they may be able to give me a pessary and send me home again. While this does appeal on one level, am also thinking if conditions are unfavourable anyway, this will still not work and may just start a chain of intervention. Am therefore thinking seriously about turning down the offered induction if I get to Friday, and asking for another 2 days' grace.
Anyone have experience of turning down induction and going on to have a HB?

Katydive Wed 03-Jul-13 21:57:22

Well the sweep seems to have dine the trick I'm having contractions every 15 mins since 8.45 pm, been told to wait until 2 in every 10 mins before ringing labour ward but I suspect I won't make the morning, boys are round mums so I can stay nice and calm....agghhhh! Will be taking my iPhone to keep track of all your progresses! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now