Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone NOT had an NT scan? What happened?

(59 Posts)
TobyLerone Fri 28-Jun-13 14:55:30

I missed my NT scan appointment yesterday. It was my own fault. I got the time wrong.

Anyway, long story short, the hospital now aren't sure whether or not they can fit me in before the 14-week deadline. It needs to be done in the next week, and I won't know until Tuesday at the earliest whether or not they can do it.

I have spoken to my midwife and she said that if the worst comes to the worst, they'll scan me anyway (they wanted to check my fibroids at the same time) but just not be able to measure NT. Then they'll give me '2nd trimester blood tests' to check for DS etc.

I'm quite concerned about not having the scan done. There's nowhere local which does them privately. Anyone else been as stupid as me been in this situation?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 02-Jul-13 09:25:06

toby - I spoke to DH's aunt last night and she gave me a few tips. She said you need to go above the jobs worth receptionists now. They're looking at it from a purely non-medical/ethical point if view. Fair enough but you need to speak to someone who actually gets that part

You should call or turn up at the hospital and insist on seeing either the head sonographer or the lead consultant. Obviously you would have to wait to see them but yiu can politely insist to fo that. If they ate not available at all, ask to soeak to the supervisor of midwives. Explain that you may consider a termination if there are abnormalities (think you said that up thread). Therefore, if they absolutely cannot fit you in now for a scan, the net result is that you could end up having a late termination post 20 weeks which arguably is medically not the best option plus, arguably, potentially more traumatic for you due to the methods that would need to be used (she did stress - if course - that any termination at any stage is traumatic).

That being the case, the prejudice to you is much outweighed by their basic refusal to fit you in

Her view us that, if you are there in person, they are much more likely to fit you in than if you speak to them on the phone.

Notwithstanding all of this, you should still have your babybond scan as back up

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 09:43:54

Oh, bless you smile

Confrontation isn't really my thing -- and phone calls terrify me. I'm already dreading calling later blush

The problem is that the ultrasound dept is having a new computer system installed and they're still testing it. I know this to be true. In the meantime, they can't give out any new appointments, nor can they see any cancellations. Despite the fact that the receptionist was really quite nasty and rude, I know that it's not her fault that she can't help. I'm not sure that anyone above her could help either.
They're so busy at the moment that fitting in a half hour appointment for someone who didn't turn up at their allotted appointment time might well be impossible, regardless of who I speak to.

I really appreciate the info, Gobbo. Thank you so much for going to the trouble. If it were not my fault in the first place, you can bet I'd be raising merry hell about it! But as it is, I don't really feel like I can make demands.

I am lucky enough to have the option to go private, so I kind of feel like I should, rather than force them to give me an appointment which might be better used on someone who didn't cock up. If they have a cancellation, I'll take it. But I don't feel like I can push it. I'm not above a bit of begging, though!

I will still complain about the horrid receptionist, but not about the lack of replacement appointments.

DeffoBossLa Tue 02-Jul-13 09:47:41

When I went for my first scan they decided I was over 14 weeks so it was too late. I couldn't have the blood test because I was having twins.I basically just had to wait until they were born. They both both fine.

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 09:50:28

Oh, that must have been worrying for you. Well, I know I'm not having twins, so at least I can have the blood test.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 02-Jul-13 10:14:22

toby - I totally understand. To be honest, when mine was fucked up with DS, I just booked the private scan. I didn't want the aggro.

Is it worth just leaving the receptionist to her own devices and not worrying about it anymore if you have the babybond one?

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 10:30:50

I might as well call this afternoon anyway. Then I'll make arrangements for a Babybond one immediately (if they can fit me in!) if the hospital can't help. The receptionist did say that it was quite possible there would be a cancellation in time this week, but that she just couldn't tell me until the system was working. If the system isn't working by this afternoon, I'll have to give up, I think.

The other issue is that obviously DH would like to be there if possible. It'll realistically take him about an hour and a half to get home from work. The hospital is very local, but the Babybond place is a good extra 30 minutes away. Either one will be a fairly last-minute appointment, I would imagine, so the local hospital gives a little more likelihood that he'll make it. It's a small consideration in the big scheme of things, but a consideration nonetheless.

lightrain Tue 02-Jul-13 13:45:33

Baby bond do weekends. You should be able to check availability online, just go through as if you were booking and the available spaces will show up.

Fingers crossed hospital can fit you in.

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 16:33:52

Thanks for all your help, everyone smile

The horrid receptionist (who has redeemed herself now, and been given the benefit of the doubt by me!) called back and asked if I can come in tomorrow at 12. Of course I can!

I'm going to assume she had a couple of bad days last week and let her off smile

5madthings Tue 02-Jul-13 16:57:32

Yay! Good luck, hope all goes well xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now