Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone NOT had an NT scan? What happened?

(59 Posts)
TobyLerone Fri 28-Jun-13 14:55:30

I missed my NT scan appointment yesterday. It was my own fault. I got the time wrong.

Anyway, long story short, the hospital now aren't sure whether or not they can fit me in before the 14-week deadline. It needs to be done in the next week, and I won't know until Tuesday at the earliest whether or not they can do it.

I have spoken to my midwife and she said that if the worst comes to the worst, they'll scan me anyway (they wanted to check my fibroids at the same time) but just not be able to measure NT. Then they'll give me '2nd trimester blood tests' to check for DS etc.

I'm quite concerned about not having the scan done. There's nowhere local which does them privately. Anyone else been as stupid as me been in this situation?

TobyLerone Fri 28-Jun-13 21:23:35

It was still my fault, but my brain couldn't cope with 2 different appointment times for the same appointment blush

Theas18 Fri 28-Jun-13 21:31:38

terrible with statistics zimmyzammy is that they are statistics. a 1:1000 risk of a problem with a baby means, on average for every 1000 babies born 999 willnot the problem and one will.

this is when it gets hard to understand because if your baby is the one, it seems like a 1 in 1 chance, equally that baby could be and number in the birth order. there many have been 900 normals 1st but it still doesn't mean 1 of the next 100 WILL be affected.

I guess it just depends on the ops attitude to risk and downs syndrome. my only advice is don't get too hungup it. however many tests you have you get the baby you get, and they are all amazing, and some will have abnormalities that can't be predicted ( and some will develop them too).

best ifs luck op

TobyLerone Fri 28-Jun-13 21:33:41

Thanks smile

I didn't have a NT scan because they aren't offered here in NI. I had to ask and push for the basic triple blood test.

They aren't available privately here for less than £300 either.

My bloods came back v quickly and gave me a v low risk so we are happy with that.

5madthings Sat 29-Jun-13 14:40:22

In my area you have to be over 35 for the nt scan I am under that so I paid privately. It was a trip done at my NHS hospital by the same Dr and true same machines, I just went in the evening at about 7pm? For a private app. I and the scan and the bloods done it was about £130? Anyway they fitted me in fine... Funny that when you are paying for it!

It might be worth seeing if your hospital does similar? I know lots do.

that's if you really want the scan?

You will get the triple test, blood test I think instead?

TobyLerone Sat 29-Jun-13 18:06:44

I don't think mine offer that -- at least bitchface the receptionist didn't mention it if they do. I will ask, though.

I'm 35, so I do want the reassurance/knowledge that comes with the scan. My MW assures me that the blood test is quite accurate, though, so it's not the end of the world.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 29-Jun-13 18:14:45

I always seem to be pointing this out but the NT scan looks for the three most common trisomy disorders - Patau's and Edwards as well as Down Syndrome.

I did not have an NT scan (they are not offered in Wales) for my first baby and he came back low risk from the triple blood test. It was discovered he had Patau's at the 20 week scan. Finding out earlier would have been better. I have paid for scans in my three subsequent pregnancies, it is a non invasive test so I was happy to have it.

Having said all that, I think having no tests is a perfectly valid option for many people who would not terminate, I just think people think only about Down Syndrome (which is also a condition that can vary in severity).

I am not trying to be alarmist OP - MOST babies are fine. Best of luck.

5madthings Sat 29-Jun-13 18:14:53

I had to phone the consultants personal secretary and she arranged it. The regular main desk type receotioinists didn't do private bookings., I think I just googled to get the number.

I wanted the reassurance as well, nice guidelines recommend the nuchal now instead of the blood test I think.

TobyLerone Sat 29-Jun-13 18:31:12

Not alarmist at all, Humphrey. I know that information, and my saying DS, rather than listing the disorders, was just shorthand (although there was no way you could possibly have known that!). And YY, having no tests is definitely a valid choice if you wouldn't terminate.

Many thanks for the info, though smile

And thanks, 5madthings. Something to bear in mind.

Excited85 Sat 29-Jun-13 18:44:15

So are the blood tests not as accurate/good then? The sonographer at my 12 week didn't mention anything about the blood test being inferior when she couldn't get the measurements so I believed that the result of my bloods was as accurate as the scan info. If I'd known that they perhaps weren't I might have paid for a second scan, just thought one option was as good as the other?

5madthings Sat 29-Jun-13 18:52:15

The scan and the blood tests results is more accurate? I think they combine those results with your age to give the risk assessment?

Also the scan is done earlier than the triple test bloods? In my area at least the blood test is done at sixteen wks, by getting the nuchal scan at 12/13 wks I knew if I got high risk I had the option of CVS which can be done earlier than an amnio. For me finding out earlier if there was a problem would have given me a bit of time to decide what to do. I am not sure what choice I would make but for me at least if I was going to terminate I would rather have done it sooner than later.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 29-Jun-13 18:54:22

My understanding from DH's Aunt is that trials show there is more of a risk of a false positive which can then lead to an amino which has it's own risks.

She also pointed out that the 12 week test obviously gives you an earlier answer. Obviously, some people will carry on with the pregnancy come what may. But, if you chose not or are unsure, then finding out the results at 12 weeks gives you longer to consider your options.

I do not know the margin of false positives and I'm very aware that the 12 week test is relatively new and not offered everywhere so the 16 week bloods can be a very good option. However, personally, we preferred to pay privately for the 12 week NT test for the reasons we discussed with her

HumphreyCobbler Sat 29-Jun-13 18:54:58

I didn't particularly mean you Toby - I tend to want to mention it when people say they wouldn't have the test as they would not terminate for Down Syndrome. I think my history makes me wants to point out that there are other, terminal conditions that the screen is for.

I possibly feel defensive about the decision I made, and this is really no one's problem but my own.

PoppyAmex Sat 29-Jun-13 21:55:20

Humphrey that was actually a very good point.

In every interaction I had with HCPs they always mentioned Downs and asked what we would do in that case, but I keep pointing out that if there are markers for Edwards or Patau I'd want to know NOW to terminate asap.

hazeyjane Sat 29-Jun-13 22:05:11

Like HumphreyCobbler, I had a private scan, more to check for Edwards than downs, as there is a family history. As it was our tests and scans came back as 'normal', but ds has another genetic condition that didn't show up.

TobyLerone Sat 29-Jun-13 22:14:26

YY definitely an excellent point. I also meant to say that I'm sorry about the decision you had to make, Humphrey. It must have been unbearable and I can't possibly imagine flowers

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 09:08:39

Humphrey am sorry to hear about your test results, am angry to read that the NT also tests for Patau's and Edwards as I specifically asked my MW if the bloods and nuchal fold scan were for anything other than Downs and she said no. I didn't want to know about Downs but I would have definitely wanted to know about Pataus and Edwards

Does anyone know if you don't have the NT, would these show up on the 20 week?

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 09:10:31

Sorry, just re-read and saw that Patau's syndrome, showed up for your baby on the 20 week scan Humphreys, so I am guessing the answer is yes, it does show up then.

lightrain Sun 30-Jun-13 09:16:20

Another vote for baby bond, they are excellent and in my opinion, it's totally worth £100 to have the NT scan. My experience if bloods only is also that they give false positives (well, increased risk where there is none, as N.t is not a diagnosis but a risk ratio, obviously. From what I read about it at the time, this is more likely to happen if you are carrying a boy, interestingly).

NHS are not being that helpful and time is of the essence, so I'd stop bothering with secretaries, midwives, etc. (stressful and annoying!) and just book baby bond.

PoppyAmex Sun 30-Jun-13 11:17:56

I had loads of scans with Babybond too (both in previous and current pregnancies) and thought they were excellent.

I'm actually having another tomorrow and just found out that they now do "abbreviated" versions of certain scans, a lot cheaper. (eg gender scans for 39 pounds and "quick assure" for 59 pounds).

TobyLerone Sun 30-Jun-13 11:35:40

Ok, well there is a Babybond place about 20 miles from me, so I will contact them if no joy on Tuesday.

Thanks for the recommendations smile

Theas18 Mon 01-Jul-13 23:22:40

Any luck op?

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 06:48:22

It's today that the secretary should be getting back to me. A lady on my antenatal thread had an appointment at the same hospital yesterday and said that the computer system was still down then, so today should be the day! If I haven't heard by lunchtime, I'll ring them.

plummyjam Tue 02-Jul-13 07:06:00

Just to add my tuppeneth, I really think they should have scanned you on the day.

OK you were running late but you rang to let them know, chances are the scan clinic was running late too so it probably wouldn't have inconvenienced anyone. They know that the NT scan is time critical, it just seems sad to me that they couldn't cut you some slack. Others may not have been in a position to pay privately having missed it.

I'm a hcp and patients are often late for appointments but if there is a good reason, or they ring up to let us know eg: stuck in traffic - in fact even if they do none of the above and are late but it's obviously important they need to be seen the same day then we see them.

I hope everything gets sorted out in time for you OP.

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 07:42:05

I actually wish that I hadn't rung, and had just turned up 10 mins late iinstead. They might have seen me then. So much for doing the right thing! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now