Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you go on OBEM?

(101 Posts)
hokeycakey Wed 26-Jun-13 14:14:54

I am 24 weeks & just had a letter asking if I would be willing to participate in the next series..... On the one hand I thought it might be nice to record it.... On the other hand I don't know if having a camera crew there in labour or my friend/family seeing my perineum appeals wwyd?

honey86 Tue 02-Jul-13 17:35:13

anyone know when the new series might start then?

Cloudkitten Mon 01-Jul-13 09:10:41

TheBirdsFellDown to an outsider, your post reads that it's not actually OBEM that winds you up, it's mainly the FB reaction to it. It's interesting (in a social experiment kind of way) that you are displacing the irritation caused by FB reaction to a programme onto the programme itself without even realising.

MiaowTheCat Sat 29-Jun-13 16:48:50

As for the who would want your friends and colleagues watching...

Used to work at a private school where the owners invited the staff back to theirs for drinks one evening... the childbirth videos came out. Just... no.

littlepinkpear Sat 29-Jun-13 11:33:14

Not now I have been through it, but i would have said yes if you had asked me before hand. My first birth went tits up in a major way. Ended up surgical and a lot of trauma.

If you have any sort of professional or managerial role, please think carefully about doing it.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 29-Jun-13 09:04:11

Nope. I couldn't even bear DH being in the room when they examined me. "darling why don't you go and get a coffee" "I don't want a coffee" midwife "could you go to the desk and ask them to get the following three files for me". That got rid of him.

Also, DS was born on Xmas day and the local paper wanted my picture and DS's. Regrettably I do not appear in the press seven hours after giving birth and with no make-up available !

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Sat 29-Jun-13 07:33:34

The show really had had its day before it started. Way back in 1987 I remember me and my university mates watching a very similar series presented by Sue Pudsey Bear Woman. Cook?

Nothing new under the sun.

I have nothing against anyone wanting their 15 minutes and I find it useful as a yardstick to know who to hide on my FB page once it starts. And the 396 MN freds to hide. (I suppose, grudgingly, a hefty part of the MN demographic has just or is just about to do that get-small-human-out-of-vagina thing so may just be let off for wanting to see it happen to other people- but 3 of my FB friends have decided to become midwives on the back of it which frankly is bloody scary.)

"OH! OBEM in 10 minutes"
"Got my tissues ready! It's OBEM"
"OH! It's a woman going to have a biddy widdy baby!"
"Oh! isn't her husband crap!"
"OH! There's a problem with the biddy widdy baby"
"Oh! I'm crying now, this is all so wonderful, the biddy widdy baby came out and everything is lovely"

Everything lovely apart from your own brain seems to have spontaneously combusted and seeped out of your nostrils without you noticing.

I hadn't really realised quite how much OBEM winds me up. grin

lozster Sat 29-Jun-13 04:50:06

I think the show has had it's day personally. Feels very 'samey'. Mind you, a OBEM birth seems to avoid a third stage, episiotomy or stitches so there could be advantages.....

PeaceAndHope Fri 28-Jun-13 23:20:58

Not a chance. I am very private and I would refuse students and all unnecessary personnel in the room. I didn't even particularly want my DH in there, to be honest.

I hate that show anyway so I'd never want to be on it.

KingRollo Fri 28-Jun-13 19:53:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kiwiinkits Fri 28-Jun-13 19:04:39

No because I swear like a trooper when in labour and my nana would be horrified wink

girliefriend Fri 28-Jun-13 18:40:37

I would do it for £10 000 but otherwise nah you're alright!!!

My dds birth would have made brilliant telly though (v dramatic!!)

bigbuttons Fri 28-Jun-13 17:30:55

Ah well, just as well there are those of us who either have already done it/would like to do it.
When I was labouring I had no sense of being filmed, the only thing I was thinking about was how to get through it all.
With dc6 there was a REALLY and I mean REALLY close up of him being born. It was just my bum and fanjo and his head. I'm pleased that by being filmed I have given others a chance to see a trouble free home birth.

TheRealFellatio Fri 28-Jun-13 16:51:22

The 'No's' seem to have it then - so if we are (mostly) all so horrified at the prospect, how do they keep on finding victims volunteers for so many series of this? confused

What do you mean by loads of them have had 'interesting lives?' Don't tell me they are only interested in people with some sort of peculiar or tragic back story?

TheRealFellatio Fri 28-Jun-13 16:34:01

Not a cat in hell's chance, but then the thought of being on the telly even with complete control of my fanjo, my bowel, my voicebox and my sanity fills me with fear and loathing.

kd83 Fri 28-Jun-13 15:53:28

I love the show but you would never get me on it. Plus a midwife friend has reliably informed me that the real experience is nothing like the footage on the telly, OBEM certainly ups the drama a little.

But thats not going to stop me watching it.

Nooo!!! I had a v difficult birth with DS (big baby, back to back, my first time etc etc) but amazingly at the end I ended up pain relief free, in stirrups and shrieking my face off but he got here safe and sound. Anyway, I definitely would not want to watch that film again (if I had filmed it in the first place!) but I will never forget in a million years being given him to hold for the first time. So I have never regretted not having a film crew in there with me and I'm 34 weeks now with no. 2 and similarly not planning a film crew lol

Good luck with whatever you decide tho OP!

blondecat Fri 28-Jun-13 14:04:27

Never.

Cheffie100 Fri 28-Jun-13 13:56:33

Not a chance- for me it was a really private and beautiful experience for me and my husband and I wouldn't want anyone there other than the midwife x

brettgirl2 Fri 28-Jun-13 13:51:26

what a horrible thing to put on your notes.

Back to the point I always thought they were paid. If that's true about them having cameras everywhere I would go somewhere else. That's awful as you could be pictured and seen by the tv crew surely?

Stripedmum Fri 28-Jun-13 12:41:00

No way. Not unless they wanted to see someone 'hysterical' (according to my medical notes).

FadBook Fri 28-Jun-13 12:15:46

DP filmed me (with permission) when I was labouring and it honestly is fascinating to watch. How I was trying to breathe through it and cope with the pain etc, and the funny thing is - I don't remember him filming but he is up close to my extremely puffy face. I honestly wish there was more that he'd filmed. I relive the moment she was placed on my chest and I'd love to have that on film

<emotional at remembering DD's birth>

<finds a grip and gets over it>

Cloudkitten Fri 28-Jun-13 11:00:56

It's not for me. Who truly wants all their neighbours, colleagues, ex colleagues, the guy in the paper shop, the other mums on the school run etcetcetc seeing blurry images of their fanjos? Although I appreciate those who are brave enough to not mind because I do enjoy OBEM and root for all the mums, and shed a tear at EACH AND EVERY newborn's wail, because they have safely made it out smile

What I reeely can't understand is those who go on Embarassing Bodies. I mean, I totally applaud them because they are helping so many people by being brave enough to share but OMG the close ups of willies and boils and boobs and piles and all sorts of things... in HD too <boak>

AmberSocks Fri 28-Jun-13 10:07:37

i would for a show about home births i think,but not obem.

JollyShortGiant Fri 28-Jun-13 10:02:10

I would. But DH wouldn't.

I wouldn't watch it after though. Watching myself on tv makes me cringe.

FobblyWoof Fri 28-Jun-13 09:45:36

No I wouldn't personally, but I am a very private person.

When I was pregnant the first time I found OBEM really, really helpful though. I remember there being a particular episode where one woman just wasn't coping well, was screaming her head off, had totally lost control and it was easy to see that she just wasn't listening to the midwives anymore and it was working against her. I had been imagining that's how I would be because I don't cope with pain well at all, but seeing that episode made me realise just how counterproductive that would be and I kept it in mind so that when I was in labour I didn't react like that. I was really thankful that that couple had decided to share their story.

Having read an interview with another participant, the couples have a lot of say into what makes the final cut and get to view all the footage before broadcast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now