Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Annoyed by peoples comments... Anyone else ever get annoyed?

(65 Posts)
NxYxC Wed 26-Jun-13 13:50:38

Long story short, when I had DD EVERYONE was 'It's a boy, it's a boy, it's a boy'. Clearly they were all wrong.

I am now pg with dc(?)2. Yet again 'its a boy, it's a boy, it's a boy'.

I swear, people can be so annoying! Anyone else it's 'oh it's a girl' but with me all I get is 'its a boy'.

Now don't get me wrong I will be happy whatever the baby is, but I just can't help feeling annoyed when people are adamant they 'know' what it will be. Especially when all people EVER say to me is 'its a boy'. The baby will be whatever it is! grr! lol

As much as I would love a son a part of me wants it to be a girl just to shut everyone up. I know it sounds petty, but it's so frustrating! lol.

rant over lol.

I'm 20wks with my 1st. My DP mother says to me yesterday 'I think its a girl' my DP asks 'Why?' she replies 'bcus shes put all the weight on her arse' i say 'Thanks DPM!' then she goes 'but I could change my mind bcus i don't know how big your arse was to begin with'
I'm finding it hard enough at the moment bcus i'm at that stage were I look fat rather than pregnant & didn't need to hear a comment like that.

Andanotherthing123 Sun 30-Jun-13 21:30:14

Here's my pet hate 'bet you're hoping for a girl now, after 2 boys'. It really makes me want to shout out 'no, I'm hoping for a healthy baby'. Particularly rankles as both my DS have additional needs, which puts something as trivial as gender into perspective.

Also, I find it so offensive that friends think having another baby makes me a mad woman. I really, really love my kids, they make my life wonderful, why wouldn't I want to add to that feeling with another baby?

Gerty1002 Sun 30-Jun-13 21:02:24

Yes, I won't be crying myself to sleep that he won't be leering at me anymore. I'm well aware it's not sexy when I take 60 seconds and a fair bit of groaning to reach standing position again haha. Creepo.

ineedduckie Sun 30-Jun-13 20:11:45

I work in a veterinary hospital and we had a 6-week old kitten come into the office for cuddles. I was told very sternly by one of my colleagues "you can't go near her ineedduckie". I have a cat at home and you know it you stupid cow (the cow in question is a spinster who hates the idea of having kids and knows nothing about pregnancy btw...). What is it with ppl thinking cats are your/your baby's worst enemy?!

Futterby Sun 30-Jun-13 19:14:01

I've just had from DP's mother - "so you're just eating anything and everything now?" after she saw me eating some strawberries. It was closely followed by "you know it took me eleven years to get the baby weight off, and I wasn't even eating for two!" this was all said in a really patronizing way, like she was trying to make me feel bad for eating. Oh yeah, she never did actually lose the "baby weight".

luxemburgerli Sun 30-Jun-13 18:20:44

Erm... good (???!!) I suppose, Gerty...

TakingTheStairs Sun 30-Jun-13 17:53:36

Gerty he sounds like a total creep. Yuk!

Gerty1002 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:43:53

Got another great one today from the man who asked about my boobs leaking... "You know before when you used to bend down to put glasses away I used to have a peek and think you were quite sexy. Now you're pregnant, it's just not sexy."

Lost for words.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sat 29-Jun-13 23:13:54

pony I am a teacher and have had a couple of comments about my unborn child probably being autistic. I find it completely mindblowing ... And disrespectful to all concerned! I mean, what do you say in response to that?! My friend who said it could see I was gobsmacked and said ' oh because you are good with autistic kids'. Hmm thats alright then, if it if going to enhance my cv!

plieadianpony Sat 29-Jun-13 22:31:38

I am still reeling from a very senior colleague (who i previously had massive respect for) asking me whether I was worried that my baby would be born with a learning disability and whether i think my service users (families with children with learning disabilities) 'were worried for me' because my child might ave a learning disability too!

WTF???

Champagnebubble Sat 29-Jun-13 18:39:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sat 29-Jun-13 18:18:10

People are astounding.

I hope you are all feeling well and enjoying this special time! Ha ha!

Couple of comments I have had this week:
Pray that baby isn't a girl - followed by stories about a teenage daughter and how she has to have her face slapped.now and again! Nice!
Step mother told me the baby was going to be massive - right before my lovely meal arrived at the table. I polished off the lot and had pudding just to show her I didnt care, then cried most of the way home!
Apparently breast feeding is a stupid idea and I will soon give up on that. This was the general consensus of my workplace, despite me not having asked for opinions! One colleague commented that my plan to breast feed until six months was laughable and that I would be lucky to manage for a day! I thought this attitude died out in the seventies?!

luxemburgerli Sat 29-Jun-13 10:28:24

Some of these are corkers... I've had:

"Are you emotionally prepared to get really fat" from a colleague, and

"When you move house, what will you do with your child?"?? erm, take them with me? From FIL.

ReikiMummy Fri 28-Jun-13 17:22:32

Sat in MaccyD's this lunchtime with my DP, (not a frequent event, but the hungries attacked as I was outside....) to sit eating ones chicken legend with the conversation going on behind us - across the width of the restaurant...

Couple 1 with Grandma and what looked to be something like a couple of days old baby (tinnnnyyy and wrinkly... i'd hope it wasn't hours old but it was very wrinkly and tiny and sooo cute...!)

Lady 2 with toddler and grandma....

Bearing in mind - across the restaurant..... Lady 2 shouts asks lady of couple 1.... "WAS IT A NATURAL BIRTH?"

I almost choked on my Legend!!! What the flip business is it of anyone elses??!!

Gerty1002 Fri 28-Jun-13 16:36:28

Well I had to come and share today's inappropriate question of the day... "are your boobs leaking yet?" ...from a middle aged bloke. Ffs.

twintrimum Fri 28-Jun-13 16:20:45

hard - yes 'double trouble' - it's so original isn't it?! We aren't married and luckily no one has mentioned it so far. I may be what kept us off the busybodies radar when we were ttc! I mainly get 'it'll be hard work' (really?!? I thought I would be out every night while they sleep through from day one) and even one 'it's a shame' (just didn't ask!).

MrsW - I'll remember that one!

hardbeingme Fri 28-Jun-13 00:06:40

'you can't be pregnant you're not married!'
erm is apparently not compulsory, its not like the sperm ask to see marriage certificate...

with twins people were way more nosey, i quite enjoyed it i try to be evasive as possible to see how long it takes for people to just cave and demand to know if i had IVF

people loooking horrfied at the idea of twins and asking if i was mad - it not like i requested them is it? no one offered me a tick sheet of preferences before conception

also if i had a pound for every time someone used the phrase 'double trouble' or told me how huge i was during either of my pregnancies i could probably have paid my mortgage off by now!

elQuintoConyo Thu 27-Jun-13 23:51:11

The world and its wife all thought I was carry a DD: we have a DS.
Belly patting didn't really bother me, surprisingly because I'm such an un-touchy-feely kind of person and have a big 'dance space' dirty dancing anyone? ahem

Most stuff was water off a duck's back I found, but I did end up avoiding a couple of favourite shops and caffs due to the 'haven't you had him yet?' when I quite obviously bloody hadn't! Gonads!

I am now, however, fending off the, 'when are you having another?' questions. I just answer with a jolly, 'we're not'. If they ask a further question then I get frosty. Or I answer that when medical science allows DH to conceive, then we will have another!

EMJHS Thu 27-Jun-13 23:43:42

Hi, I'm really confused I don't no what else todo.
I'm late on my period by 2 weeks the last time I had unprotected sex was march I had a period in may and it was like a spotting and that lasted aday if anyone can help would be much appreciated I have do a test can back negative thanks

Gerty1002 Thu 27-Jun-13 23:34:36

As this is my first people keep telling me I'm going to get a shock... as if I'm expecting a baby that giggles all day and sleeps all night.

I think most of the time people are just looking for something to say, but really, what's wrong with: 'I hope it all goes well' or: 'how lovely, enjoy parenthood' smile

2Labradors Thu 27-Jun-13 19:22:56

Gerty I get the comments about drinking. My baby is due at the end of November and people comment how its good timing as I can get 'drunk over Christmas'. I will probably have a glass or 2 over the festive period but I will have a newborn baby, plus I intend to breast feed, so I really don't think I'm gonna be sh*t faced! I have never been much of a drinker anyhow, I prefer the food grin

It's pissing me off that people comment on how having a newborn is hard, doing it all again, ooh sleepless nights. It's like a daily comment in work from someone. I have 2 children already, but it seems I have no idea what I'm letting myself in for, but everyone else knows this special secret! I think I might still remember, especially as some colleagues children are older than me!!

effyzm Thu 27-Jun-13 16:42:18

People always assume that this is my first when I tell them I have son who is nearly 5 they look at me with pure shock. I'm not even young. Luckily no one has asked me if it was planned or if I know who the dad is. I think I would give them a silly answer. I'm now 37 weeks and always get 'you won't enjoy being pregnant in the heat' well we live in Britain and its clearly forgotten what a summer is. Also my DS was a September baby so I've done it before. I can wear summer clothes! Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean i wear a sack!

NinjaHaggisHunter Thu 27-Jun-13 16:20:41

Same as you OP, everybody who expressed an opinion said boy. I was happy just to be having a baby but I was very pleased to have a girl in the end! Also had lots of comments about bump size, totally irrelevant and quite rude!

afrikat Thu 27-Jun-13 16:20:16

I have decided that if anyone tells me my 'life is over' I will say 'oh I am so sorry you don't like your children. I'm hoping to have a better experience'.

Yesterday I had my first unsolicited bump stroke and the woman doing the stroking then asked if I really should be having all those jalapeños on my salad as it could be bad for the baby. I just stood there speechless!

MummyOfSunbeam Thu 27-Jun-13 15:03:14

Not pregnant now but I agree the random strangers telling you negative stories about how 'life will be over' is seriously stupid. I was a first time mum and heard so much negative crap - and it was all wrong! The last nine months with my 9 mth dd have been glowing happiness and I love mat leave so much I wish I wasn't going back to my previously-much-loved job! It's that awesome - so take that random bus strangers who kept accosting me in the third trimester /)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now