Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

What's my consultant written in my notes?! ?!

(20 Posts)
Bekahxoxo Sun 23-Jun-13 18:00:10

Hi all,
Im 39+2 seen my consultant on Friday and I'm getting induced Thursday when am 39+6.

Can't understand what she's written in my notes at all, can anyone translate?

Urine- MSU sent- protein + leucocytes
Cx - 2cm
VE- very soft
Station - -3
Cervix long closed posterior
IOL at term.

justabigdisco Sun 23-Jun-13 18:04:31

Urine - there was protein and white blood cells in your urine which can be a sign of infection. MSU - midstream urine - means they've sent it to the lab for further tests for infection.

justabigdisco Sun 23-Jun-13 18:05:33

Cx = cervix and yours was 2cm - probably means 2cm dilated rather than the length of it (have you had babies before? If so then cervix can be couple of cm dilated before labour)

justabigdisco Sun 23-Jun-13 18:06:07

VE = vaginal examination
Your cervix is soft which is also in prep for labour

goingtobefree Sun 23-Jun-13 18:07:14

Cx 2 means your cervix is opened 2cms normally should be 10cms by the time the baby comes out.

justabigdisco Sun 23-Jun-13 18:07:14

Station -3 means that 3 5ths of baby's head is still palpable in your abdomen ie not fully down in pelvis, but on its way

HolidayArmadillo Sun 23-Jun-13 18:07:19

She's sent a urine sample off to be tested as it has potential infection markers in it. Cervix 2cm long, posterior and closed although very soft. For induction of labour at term. Head is at -3 station in relation to the ischial spines, ie miles away from the exit.

Tbh it's an odd way of writing all that as normal VE would stand for vaginal examination so 'very soft' seems odd in relation to that, I can only guess she is relating it to your cervix.

Cx again means cervix but she has repeated long later but I assume the 2cm relates to length rather than dilatation as she has said the os is closed.

justabigdisco Sun 23-Jun-13 18:08:08

Cervix long closed posterior - doesn't really fit with it being 2cm dilated!!! Long and closed is pre labour as it has to shorten and open for baby to come out

BeehavingBaby Sun 23-Jun-13 18:09:54

The only odd thing is that she has written that the cervix is both long and closed and 2cm, so perhaps does mean 2cm long? These are all normal things to be at 39+2 BTW. Station is the level of the baby's head in the pelvis, high but again normal. Why are you being induced if it's not too nosy?

justabigdisco Sun 23-Jun-13 18:09:56

IOL means induction of labour

BeehavingBaby Sun 23-Jun-13 18:10:10

God I am so slow blush

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bekahxoxo Sun 23-Jun-13 18:38:44

Thanks every

kelda Sun 23-Jun-13 18:41:06

Were you monitored for contractions?

Bekahxoxo Sun 23-Jun-13 18:45:50

Thanks everyone, I somewhat understand the coding now ha! She's never written like that before. Read it and was like huh?!

Bit worried about my urine sample but I've heard nothing, no news in good news though I suppose!

This is my second pregnancy! First pregnancy was fine, healthy no probs etc, was induced then though because was late, had waters broken, forceps and was cut by doc, gave birth to my lovely son 9lb 1oz but still was only a 5hr labour and not too traumatic.

However my pregnancy this time has been not so enjoyable, spent a lot of time in hospital, I've got really low blood pressure, really low iron, spd, severe sickness and hydronephis. They wanted to fit a stent between my kidney and bladder at 24 weeks but I declined, so got to have that op soon, so been suffering a lot with pains and am on quite alot of meds. Had a lot of growth scans and baby seems fine.

Brings the cliche of 'every pregnancy is different to a whole new level' haha! Hoping ill have a nice speedy labour as a treat from god after a longggggg 9 months! When you all due?

Bekahxoxo Sun 23-Jun-13 18:48:04

Didn't get monitored for contractions Friday no, but have been on the CTG monitor quite a lot this pregnancy but haven't had any labour like pains lately, however am in bulk with my back today! Luckily Thursday is not up far away!

kelda Sun 23-Jun-13 18:49:47

Good luck for thursday!

Bekahxoxo Sun 23-Jun-13 18:52:27

Thanks kelda

WentOnABearHunt Mon 24-Jun-13 09:24:51

-3 means '3 above spines' which is a measurment of where your baby's head is in relation to an internal pelvic landmark the 'ischial spines'. So babys head is still high. smile

Bekahxoxo Mon 24-Jun-13 21:37:10

Oushh if his heads still high am i looking on a long induction?!! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now