Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Just been freaking myself out about not having any morning sickness.

(33 Posts)
RinseAndRepeat Sat 22-Jun-13 23:11:25

I'm coming up to 12 weeks pregnant. My scan is booked for Thursday this week.

But I'm terrified they're going to tell me it's a mmc or theres something wrong because I haven't had any morning sickness. There have definitely been some moments where ive felt a bit queasy and nauseous, but it's no worse than the type of queasiness you get with pmt.

I know i shouldnt but I've been googling. And for every anecdote I can find about no morning sickness being normal, there's a research paper that says you're three times more likely to miscarry if you don't have it. Or that the baby's more likely to be born unhealthy.

I just want a definitive answer dammit! I had a mc at 7 weeks last year so I'm super sensitive to every little thing. Unfortunately I've let myself go to the dark place tonight. Trying to claw my way back.

AmberSocks Mon 24-Jun-13 17:23:12

i am on number five and apart from once i have never been sick in pregnancy.

ceara Mon 24-Jun-13 17:20:01

Just wanted to say good luck for Thursday. I am, like you, getting off lightly on the pregnancy symptoms front so far - just occasional mild queasiness and a bit of retching at smells, but nothing else worth mentioning really. I have had two early scans so far due to spotting, at 7 weeks and today (9+3) and like you was convinced there would be no baby there. But both times - and I ask touching wood as I type -, the little one has looked just fine. Obviously it's still early days and I'm still holding my breath. But the clinicians have all emphasised to me when I've fretted about not feeling rubbish enough to be pregnant, that every pregnancy is different and while sudden disappearance of symptoms you've been experiencing might be cause for concern, not having had them in the first place is just good fortune! It is such a worrying time though, particularly after all you have been through. Fingers crossed for good news at your scan.

Kelerina Mon 24-Jun-13 14:28:54

I know you've already had lots of replies but just to say that I was never once sick during my pregnancy and only every had a tiny, barely worth mentioning bit of nausea during second trimester, my little boy is now 15 weeks old and healthy as a horse!

karinmaria Mon 24-Jun-13 08:31:07

Another one who had no sickness. Bit of nausea in the early weeks but spent most of my first and second trimesters symptom free. Barely felt pregnant except for the burgeoning baby bump.

Third tri was a different story though...

rallytog1 Mon 24-Jun-13 08:27:15

I suspect morning sickness isn't as common as people imagine. It seems like all my friends are pregnant at the moment but more than half of them have had no sickness at all.

I also had no morning sickness with DD and spent most of the time worrying about it. She's now a beautiful two-month-old.

Angelina7 Mon 24-Jun-13 00:21:57

I had afternoon nausea in the early stages but no sickness ... I'm 28+3 now, don't stress yourself out, it's just the way people's bodies react to the hormone changes, think yourself lucky, some people have to be hospitalised for a week they have the sickness so bad which I'm sure must be just as dangerous for the baby - losing all that fluid. All the best x

RinseAndRepeat Sun 23-Jun-13 22:32:07

Phew thanks. Am feeling a bit better.

Huge sympathies to those who've suffered with it. Sounds awful and I guess I should be counting myself lucky.

QueLinda Sun 23-Jun-13 13:36:20

I had no symptoms when I was pregnant with my DD. Everything was totally fine despite been told by people no sickness was a bad sign. It was a text book pregnancy and now have a daughter who is as strong as an ox!

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 23-Jun-13 13:31:48

I'm 23 weeks with a girl and had no sickness, only a little bit of nausea.

ItCameFromOuterSpace Sun 23-Jun-13 11:43:17

I had absolutely not morning sickness with my.dirst pregnancy and was terrified the whole pregnancy that something was wrong...dd is now a healthy 19 month old munching on her lunch next to me.

Have had horrendous morning sickness with this pregnancy, from 6-18 weeks lots of throwing up and feeling awful.

Don't think the presence or absence of ms means anything, every pregnancy is different and your body will react to each of them differently. Please do not worry.

Jenijena Sun 23-Jun-13 11:13:21

I felt similar at my 12 wk scan. No sickness, just a bit tired.

I started puking at 14 weeks and was sick two or three times an evening fortune next three months.

Hope it goes well for you.

firesidechat Sun 23-Jun-13 11:09:24

I have two children and absolutely no morning sickness with either of them I'm very happy to say. Daughter is now pregnant and she has been almost the same - just very infrequent, mild nausea.

I hope the scan goes well, but I'm sure you will be fine.

CadleCrap Sun 23-Jun-13 10:15:34

2 DCs here - no morning sickness with either except a bit of queasiness with DC1. Both happy and healthly and running rings around me.

sonlypuppyfat Sun 23-Jun-13 10:12:24

I've had 3 DCs and no sickness at all, don't knock it!

toffeem Sun 23-Jun-13 10:07:28

I am not sure I believe the stats anyway! Out of all my friends who've been pregnant in the last few years there are a lot more people who have not had morning sickness than the ones that have. In fact I only know a couple of us who have suffered.

I know it is easy for me to say but when you find out everything is OK you will look back and feel grateful.

Trazzletoes Sun 23-Jun-13 09:47:19

frogchops and I had one of each!!! Though my 1 time of being sick was with DD...

Trazzletoes Sun 23-Jun-13 09:46:25

I was sick one time during 2 pregnancies and ended up with 2 children. I felt a bit nauseous but that was all.

Try not to stress about it too much. I'm sure the baby will be fine. Hugs.

blondebaby111 Sun 23-Jun-13 09:39:07

I'm nearly 11 weeks and like you not much morning sickness, I try to stay positive and just count how lucky I am as I know some people have it bad. I think its just an old wives tale, the more sick you are the healthier the baby, rubbish!! My mum didn't have any with me. I have my scan in a weeks time and although I'm nervous its also an exciting time, good luck op and hope u carry on feeling great smile

frogchops Sun 23-Jun-13 09:25:02

I'm 27 weeks, had no sickness or nausea...I didnt have most of the early symptoms either. Some research suggests the ones that get away with no sickness are having boys wink

So, from the NHS website, about half of all pregnant women will suffer morning sickness (nausea & vomiting), while 3 in 10 have nausea and no vomiting. That leaves a lucky 2 in 10 who have nothing.

Hope that reassures you a little.

Good luck for the scan, am sure all will be fine!

Corkle Sun 23-Jun-13 08:38:07

I'm 24 weeks tomorrow, everything fine so far and I've had no sickness at all. Stop worrying! each pregnancy is different and no morning sickness doesn't mean anything! Good luck at the scan x

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sun 23-Jun-13 08:15:25

Every pg is very different, so you may get no symptoms at all.
With ds1 I had mild ms
Ds2 v bad ms (I lost weight)
Ds3 no sickness at all
I've had 2 mc where I had symptoms and they suddenly stopped. One was lots of symptoms, the other was just a metallic taste in my mouth.

Fingers crossed for Thursday and good luck.

Ra88 Sun 23-Jun-13 08:07:54

I had a mmc on march and had sickness .. I am pregnant again now (9 weeks) and I have only been sick once and had slight nausea but nothing much at all and I thought because I lack of symptoms ( no sore boobs etc) it was gonna be another mmc , had scan Friday and all is well smile there is hope !

Obviously hope nothing bad happens (I'm sure you'll be fine) but really, don't wish you had morning sickness. I felt dreadfully nauseous all the time I was awake from 5 to 13 weeks. It got so bad it affected my sleep, by 13 weeks I was waking up to be sick at 2 am & couldn't go back to sleep. The sleep disturbance never got any better until I gave birth. The night after I had DD was the best night I'd had in months.

I personally know people who had it worse than me as well.

I know you're worried because it's unusual to not have morning sickness. Most women get horrendous heartburn, especially towards the end, I had almost none. What I did have, it took me a week to figure it out, it just felt cold & tickly.

Everyone is different. Step away from DR Google & try to stop scaring yourself.

Imscarlet Sat 22-Jun-13 23:42:37

I had 2 previous m/c's where I had no morning sickness, so spent 12 long weeks absolutely bricking it when on my third pregnancy I didn't have any either, instead of enjoying it. That non morning sickness pregnancy is now 2.5 yrs old and has only had one stomach bug in that time. Also a girl FWIW, and they are meant to make you more sick than boys! Try not to worry and try not to Google. Best of luck on Thursday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now