Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waters breaking - can I wear sanitary/tena towels?

(31 Posts)
Ls271082 Sat 22-Jun-13 17:27:09

This may sound totally ridiculous I don't know, I've never done it before!! Is it worth wearing tena or similar near my due day in case my waters break? Or is it stupid idea as they won't help/work to save embarrassment if I'm at work or in public?

Thanks

Woofers Sun 23-Jun-13 21:09:33

Using experience from the other end of the life cycle - incontinence in adults is a problem, especially over night. You can use kylie sheets or tena do a pad which holds up to 800ml of urine. Disability shops might be able to supply / advise.

kylie sheets

tena pull up pants

BoffinMum Sun 23-Jun-13 22:37:01

Value shower curtain is a cheap substitute for a waterproof sheet, but sweaty.

IRCL Sun 23-Jun-13 22:40:38

My waters poured out and soaked the pad I was wearing. Couldn't contain it.

blush

K8Middleton Sun 23-Jun-13 22:51:11

Waters went first with both of my labours in exactly the same way. In bed, woke up, had a funny feeling something was going to happen, felt a pop and lolluped in an ungainly fashioned dashed all the way downstairs and across the house to the bathroom and didn't spill a drop. Then big gushes in the loo and a Boot's whopping incontinence pad in knickers. Planning a homebirth they were on the list so luckily had lots. They worked well because the waters just keep coming!

I carried a spare pair of knickers and massive inco pad in my handbag for last few months of second pg. Just in case grin

Angelina7 Mon 24-Jun-13 00:16:14

Night sweats? What causes those? ...first I've heard of them :-/

sugarandspite Mon 24-Jun-13 10:00:23

Night sweats in the weeks after birth are v common. It's something to do with your body trying to get rid of all of the masses of extra fluid that you retain during pregnancy (to help keep your blood pressure up and protect from dehydration I think).

So after you've had the baby you pee loads (but might not notice as it will still be less than you were having to pee when heavily pregnant!) and you'll sweat a lot, especially at night.

I also found that for a couple of weeks afterwards my temperature was always higher than everyone else - they would be in jumpers and id be in a vest top, normally I'm always the coldest one. So it really helped having room thermometers handy so I could make sure it wasn't too cold for baby, as I honestly couldn't tell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now