Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(976 Posts)
LucindaE Fri 21-Jun-13 17:52:14

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

HopLittleFroggyHopHopHop Fri 23-Aug-13 00:31:46

Just spotted this on active threads! smile Had horrific hyperemesis with DD (now 11 months), hospitalisations throwing up blood so on, but it also meant my stomach was close to flat the day after giving birth and then completely back to normal within a couple of weeks!

Oh and the first proper meal without feeling sick is amazing - lots of other women were moaning about the hospital food but it tasted great grin

Thought I'd throw in some positives haha, good luck everyone!!!

Sally8655 Fri 23-Aug-13 10:24:12

Morning ladies,

Had an awful night. Really sick but mostly unbelievable pain in my lower back, hips, bum and legs. Can barely walk this morning and sitting in the loo kills. I think it's a mix of muscle and joint pain. I had to have dh knead my back and thighs as only the manipulation would help. I took paracetamol but this didn't touch it. I've felt some aches over the last few days but this just hit real bad in the afternoon. Sleeping is so painful, especially on my left, which I know is important. I know it's not due to any kind of exercise as I've not done anything. Feels like I've done a thousand squats! But the pain is mostly real deep at the bone.
Has anybody else experienced this? Don't want to bother the GP again.

How many weeks are you Sally? It sounds like it could be the onset of SPD. Or it could be your ligaments stretching. My hips have never recovered from my previous pregnancy, and I had hip pain from quite early on.
I think you should go to the doctors.

Foxeym Fri 23-Aug-13 10:55:31

Hi all, I've been following this thread with interest as I had terrible hyperemesis with my first DD 15 years ago, it didn't go until after I have birth. I fell pregnant again 2 years later with DD2 and had it again but by 20 weeks it eased with just nausea in the evenings coming back briefly for the last 3 weeks. Here I am 12 years later and I'm currently 31 weeks with DS1, horrible nausea from weeks 7 to 14 but no actual sickness and from then on have felt practically normal, just occasional nausea in the evenings. It has been so completely different from before. I don't know if it's because this DC has a different father from my first 2 or it's because I'm in my 40's now or the fact it's a boy but I think what I'm trying to say is all 3 of my pregnancies has been different and I swore I would never do it again after DD1 it was so horrific. I just wanted to give some people my experience to show that it doesn't always happen again smile

Feel like death today, saw the doctor yesterday who said I had no ketones but that she thought I was very close to it. Wants me to do another test today to see if I need to be hospitalised.

Totesamazeballs Fri 23-Aug-13 11:44:10

I all! Thanks for the supportive stories. Sorry you feel so bad Murder. It just sucks. Any better now?

Yesterday was the worst day for me so far so DH has gone to get my prescription.

I have found a safe food which is crackers with marmite so I have been nibbling those. We know what this baby is going to be brought up on! It's all I can manage though, that and some lemonade. It's better than nothing.

Still in bed, slept all morning. It's easier to sleep as it gives you some relief! Anyone else wake up wretching?

Bit worried about dehydration as I didn't wee for about 18 hours but just gone. Sorry if TMI!

Choc - you brave soldier! A satsuma!

Sally8655 Fri 23-Aug-13 12:42:15

Little m- I'm nearly 18 weeks. I thought SPD was in the front of your pelvis. Mine is totally in my lower back and butt anf thighs. Think if it gets any worse, ill have to see a doc.
From one problem to another for me :-(

Ah yes if it's more back then probably not SPD. If you're in a lot of pain you should see your dr. You would if you weren't pregnant and had pain like that! Hope it goes though.

Totes Not much, got ketostix in the post this morning. Should probably test. Not sure I want to know the answer.

SPD is the front bit, I think it's called PGP if it's the back more? Definitely worth seeing the GP about.

LucindaE Fri 23-Aug-13 13:31:28

Thanks so much Foxey and HopLittleFroggyHopHopHop (that takes me back to when my DD was tiny) for those encouraging messages. as I always say, it is so nice for people on here to know that this does pass, that in the end if is worth it.
LittleMachine Jen Choc becca RNJ Wavesandsmiles and Everyone Thank you for kind words blush I am so glad that this thread is helpful. If it helps people not to feel so isolated, and to signpost them to all the brilliant information on meds on MOH's website https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/ then I'm be delighted.
Wavesandsmiles I remember that awful business over the delayed prescription, and you being on an island, having to wait for the meds to be delivered...It makes sense about the PICC line, you had to have IV so often . sad The home IV they have in the US seems such a great idea, though. I have to say you are much more of a wise woman regarding Hyperemesis than me - you must have tried every medication, every recommendation,and I think you had it at least twice (not sure if you had it with your first)?
Sally That sounds awful shock. Could it be sciatica , which hurts the bum? Or possibly some other form of trapped nerve? Probably,as others say, best not to try and bear it but to have it looked at. I had discomfort from ribs and hips expanding, but not like that,just a dull ache!
Jen Brave of you to go food shopping. OH should be grateful you somehow cook for him, ready meals or not.
Totes I am so glad you got your meds, well done.
Feekerry I have a scrawled message for you, but my handwriting is sometimes so bad I can't even read it! Maybe asking how long along you are?
Tallyra Are you out yet? Becca did you get ketones down?
Murderofgoths It might be worth asking for some kesostix from the surgery or ordering them in or seeing if local chemist has them - they usually do- sorry to be bossy, but it is so easy, as you know too well, to get really dehydrated quickly.
Hope Everyone is surviving today.
Lucinda
xx

Totesamazeballs Fri 23-Aug-13 14:35:48

Sally - I was also going to say it might be sciatica?

Totesamazeballs Fri 23-Aug-13 17:38:42

Sally- how is the pain now?
Murder - did you pee on a stick?

I took my first cyclazine. Not sure but think it may be working. Feel spaced out and guilty for taking them.

Well, I tested and am In hospital again. Got booked in by the same doctor who discharged me last time

LucindaE Fri 23-Aug-13 21:28:23

Murder Poor you, hugs. I hope you feel a bit better soon.
Lucinda
xx

Totesamazeballs Fri 23-Aug-13 21:28:46

Oh sorry Murder. I hope they can get you a bit of relief.

Sally8655 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:48:15

Hi all

Pain is killing me and really can't get comfortable any way I try. Feeling really sick and trying to sip the robinsons peach, hope others are having a better night than me :-(

Sally8655 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:50:03

Hope you feel better soon murder and hoping cyclizine helps totes xx

Hope you got some sleep sally

Worst thing about being in hospital wiith HG is them tring to take blood, so dehydrated it took them five goes! My arm aches

Totesamazeballs Sat 24-Aug-13 08:26:28

Morning, albeit not the brightest one. Sally, did you get to talk to the doc? Sounds really nasty. I had sciatica with DS which made sitting in the office chair agony so I took my birthing ball into work instead. Have you fou d any positions that help or is all movement painful?

Poor you Murder. Are you out of hospital now?

Not convinced the cyclazine is working. It says three tablets a day but is that over a 24 hour period or can I cram them into my waking hours does anyone know?

Still in, on my third bag of fluids now.

Thibk cyclizine is within waking hours, had mine every 4 hours

SlinkyB Sat 24-Aug-13 08:47:21

Morning

I agree I had to take my Cyclizine at the same time every day; my alarm still goes off at 6.30 every morning so that I can take it before breakfast (that's if toddler ds hasn't already got me up).

Totes think I used to take mine at 6.30, 12.30 and 6.30...but it took a while to find the best times for me. Think everyone is different. And it definitely made me feel all spaced out and zombie-like at the beginning. Felt like I was on another planet. But it took the edge off the nausea enough to drink and eat small amounts so was worth it. Just spent a lot of time in bed or lying on the sofa. I don't know if my body got used to them, or because my hormones changed as the weeks went by, but the zombie state went and I was able to function normally and return to work (had four weeks off between weeks 10-14 ish, but am lucky am only p/t).

Sally so sorry you've now got backache, def see GP asap. I used to have sciatica and it was more of a sharp, shooting pain down my butt cheek and leg. I had a prolapsed disc at the base of my spine. Fingers crossed it's something easily remedied for you.

Murder sorry to hear of hosp admission, hope you feel a bit better for the fluids.

SlinkyB Sat 24-Aug-13 08:52:04

Sorry, was signed off work by GP between weeks 6-10, when HG was at its worst.

LucindaE Sat 24-Aug-13 11:14:20

Murder How painful - I think wavesandsmiles had that collapsed vein problem too, it sounds like you were really dehydrated. Sorry, I must have sounded annoying - I missed you saying you already had the kesotix. Hope the sickness isn't quite so bad? Hugs.
Sally You do need rest with Hyperemesis and can't get it with this pain I think you need an emergency appointment, poor you.
Tallyra Are you back home yet>?
Hope Everyone is coping today.
Lucinda
xx

Tallyra Sat 24-Aug-13 13:36:21

morning. I'm home now, and on metoclopramide, ondansetron and avomine. I'm feeling surprisingly ok, apart from working at a quarter speed right now. was supposed to be going to France today but we cancelled. I'd rather be on my comfy sofa right now!

Totesamazeballs Sat 24-Aug-13 16:42:37

Hi all!
Sorry you had to forgo your holiday in France Tally.

Murder, you are in the worst of it...how many weeks are you?

Sally - I hope you are not in all sorts of fresh hell today and got some answers.

I am 7+5 and spent another day in bed, not seeing my son. I am starting to feel a bit down. First time round I didn't really feel like I was missing out on much but this time I hate watching my son from the bed and not being involved. I have slept most of today but I guess that's the cyclazine.

Thanks for the replies about cyclazine, I am following your advice and taking them in waking hours. Maybe that will help!

Moving in with my parents tomorrow which I am looking forward to as there will be more distractions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now