Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Scan - should there be an embryo or heartbeat at 6 weeks?

(38 Posts)
pizzaqueen Sun 16-Jun-13 09:38:11

I had

ShoeWhore Wed 19-Jun-13 21:59:57

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all of this OP. how are you feeling tonight?

I had 2 mcs before I had my 3 dcs - I had quite a big bleed when pg with dc2 - I was convinced it was another mc - but he is 7 in a couple of weeks so I obviously got that wrong!

Only the scan can tell you for sure what's going on - hope you get some good news on Friday. I know how hard all this waiting around is, hang on in there ((()))

pizzaqueen Wed 19-Jun-13 11:51:41

Thanks littlepeapod. I had another scan this morning but they said it was very hard to measure anything because my last scan was only Saturday. I have to go back next Friday for a comparison scan. The said the sac has grown about 2mm but still too early to see anything in it (although me and DP thought we saw a little grain of rice shape in the sac)

I am feeling a lot more positive but bleeding. Everything is so up and down just now

LittlePeaPod Wed 19-Jun-13 07:20:14

Good luck Pizza so sorry you are going through all this worry. Hopefully the scan with show all ok. flowers

pizzaqueen Tue 18-Jun-13 12:18:23

I have called, they're going to see me first thing tomorrow. The staff there have been great, so understanding.

Futterby Tue 18-Jun-13 12:13:42

So sorry to hear that pizza flowers can you call your epu and ask for a scan?

pizzaqueen Tue 18-Jun-13 11:53:31

Bleeding has got a bit worse now its fresh red blood and have seen a couple of small clots. I think this is it. hmm

Futterby Mon 17-Jun-13 19:50:43

Honestly somerset, I'm a student nurse. Brown blood is old - indicative of implantation or a uti or... Well, lots of things really. Red/pink blood is fresh, which can be indicative of a miscarriage. Can be. It's also indicative of lots of other things and can even happen for no reason.

OP, bleeding during early pregnancy is totally common and happens all the time. Please try not to worry about it but if it becomes heavy call your EPU and ask for their advice. Best of luck flowers

Beamae Mon 17-Jun-13 19:13:25

My experience was that 3 episodes of bright red blood during my first trimester with my twins was fine. My small amount of brown blood in a previous pregnancy was a miscarriage. But from reading mumsnet this seems to be the opposite of what other people have experienced, so I actually think the type or amount of blood is no indicator and there is always hope. In the OPs case I really think it is too early to tell.

somersethouse Mon 17-Jun-13 18:29:05

Not what I was told Futterby and believe me, I remember it! I had a LOT of bright red blood. As shoe says, it is common. I really hope it is nothing serious for pizza
I am not in the UK, maybe advice is different.

Thinking of you OP and best wishes.

Futterby Mon 17-Jun-13 12:25:01

somerset, it's actually the other way about.

Best of luck to you, op. I had a scan at 6+3 and a heartbeat was found but sometimes it can't be seen for another couple of weeks. I had spotting at 6+2 (the reason for the scan) and I'm currently 16+2 now smile

ShoeWhore Mon 17-Jun-13 12:12:40

pizza my heart goes out to you. Our local hospital won't scan until you are reasonably sure you are 7 weeks for this very reason.

How is the spotting now? Lots of women have a little spotting in early pg and go onto have healthy pregnancies.

somersethouse Mon 17-Jun-13 12:05:12

Sorry pizza, only just come back to the thread and your question.

Well, red blood (or pink) is fresh blood which means it is either the result of implantation bleeding (like Beamae above) or a heamatoma like I had (a bruise basically, the blood has to leave and is bright red) Dark brown blood means it is old blood and therefore more a sign, I was told, of a miscarriage.

At this early stage, I honestly think the blood is implantation bleeding, coming our now, if you see what I mean. Presumably, they would have seen on your scan if you had a haematoma?

I so hope it is all ok for you. Just try and relax as much as you can. Very hard, I know, I was an absolute wreck.

Beamae Mon 17-Jun-13 11:12:38

I had a 6 week scan after massive bleeding. It was a twin pregnancy and we had one heartbeat, one empty sac. They told me it was possible that one twin had miscarried, and booked me in for a follow up scan. At the follow up the sac was no longer empty and there were two heartbeats. They then said that the second twin had possibly implanted just a couple of days after the first, which is why the sac appeared empty at the 6 week scan. So even a couple of days can make a difference.

IcingTheCake Mon 17-Jun-13 09:49:33

No advice here but hope you get some good news at your scan. flowers

pizzaqueen Mon 17-Jun-13 09:40:31

Somersethouse, what's the difference in the colour of the blood?

It was pink streaks to begin with and now more of a brown colour.

My DP who has been so positive since Saturday just said maybe to prepare for the worst hmm

This is so hard.

somersethouse Mon 17-Jun-13 09:27:12

If it is bright red blood OP it is much better news than dark blood.

Fingers crossed for you flowers I had a lot of blood, as I say, it worked out fine. It is quite common.

somersethouse Mon 17-Jun-13 09:25:04

I had bleeding at 6 weeks and something (3 days?). I went in for an internal scan and there was no heatbeat. (Just a sac and a heamatoma hmm)

They said I would probably miscarry and to take it really easy, so you are doing the right thing to rest.

Went back 10 days later and there was the heartbeat! Heamatoma eventually went also, now I have a lovely 5 yr old DD. smile

thistlelicker Mon 17-Jun-13 09:16:31

I was told they can't see one until 7 weeks! Good luckthanks

Hoping for good news and preparing for bad isn't a bad approach. I'll be thinking of you -- I've BTDT and I know how stressful it is.

Hope you're ok Pizza. I had bleeding too so it might not be the worst, I was really dehydrated too. Have a rest thanks

pizzaqueen Mon 17-Jun-13 07:38:56

Thank you everyone for sharing. Some reassuring posts. The waiting is just so hard.

I have woken up this morning to more bleeding hmm so that is the most worrying thing now really. I'm going to call in sick to work today. I have a bit of a commute and am worried about something going wrong far from home. I just can't wait for next weeks scan, hope hope hope we get to see a wee bean! But still trying to prepare for bad news.

I had a scan at 6 weeks with no hb ( just sac) and we were sent away until 9 weeks where there was a hb, both internal scans.

beckie90 Mon 17-Jun-13 07:21:09

I had one at 5+4 and there was absolutely nothing there other then a sac which at the time measured 6wks, then had a repeat at 7wk and there was a little baby with a heartbeat

My gp wouldn't send me for a scan untol 8wks because this happens so often & she didn't want me to worry if they couldn't see much. Try not to panic.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Mon 17-Jun-13 07:05:39

pizza it sounds to me like you are probably less than six weeks... You could have ovulated just a few days before your bfp if you used one of those super early tests. Some women get a result very early if your hormones.behave better than mine did! Try not to worry, also, if they didnt do an internal scan you are a lot less likely to see a heartbeat that early on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now