Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

26 weeks and haven't felt baby move all day

(25 Posts)
afrikat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:28:35

I don't think I have gone a day without feeling it move in about 3-4 weeks now - could it just be in a funny position or should I be worried?

fuckwittery Sat 15-Jun-13 22:31:50

Eat something sugary, drink a v cold drink, and get comfy, focus entirely on your baby sitting still for an hour. If still no movement ring the hosp for advice x

blondecat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:33:45

My obgyn's advice was:
Drink glass of orange juice or similar
lie down on left side
Wait up to an hour
If still nothing call / come in

How strong were the moves before?
There were times I didn't feel mine move - busy days, running around that type of thing

If you are getting seriously worried call the hospital. It won't do any harm

Hope all turns out ok

singmelullabies Sat 15-Jun-13 22:34:34

With both of my pg I had days when I didn't feel the baby moved; sometimes it was just that I was so busy I hadn't noticed it moving. Do you have any sure-fire ways to get it to move? Mine, without fail, always moved a lot when I was in the bath. Or just sit still and relax for 10 minutes and see if you notice any movements that way.

VisitorTheDog Sat 15-Jun-13 22:36:12

I'm going to completely disagree and say you should go and get checked immediately. Chances are that the minute you get there the baby will kick and it will be a wasted journey, but still, you should go.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinkyPeet Sat 15-Jun-13 22:44:25

Go get checked. Now. Good luck x

workingtitle Sat 15-Jun-13 22:46:17

I'd get checked. Hope all is ok and baby's just having a quiet day X

Have a cold / sugary drink on your way to get checked. But please, get checked asap.

afrikat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:49:21

Ok 20 minutes after I start panicking baby has finally woken up and started doing somersaults. Thanks for advice all. Only 14 more weeks of worry to go! (And then the rest of my life...)

Yes definitely get it checked. But try not to worry. I fainted & fell quite hard at about 6 months, didn't feel movement for almost a day. She was fine.

workingtitle Sat 15-Jun-13 22:50:20

Oh yay, glad all is ok smile

grin relief!

afrikat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:51:44

Sooo happy to get booted this evening smile

TinkyPeet Sat 15-Jun-13 23:02:00

Glad you're okay smile babies have a tendency of playing tricks but please if it happens again do not hesitate to go and get checked out, they will not turn you away and would much rather check everything is ok than have you sat worrying xx

uptheswanney Sat 15-Jun-13 23:52:39

hi really glad to hear you and the baby are ok. It is over five years since i had my dc so my memory is very hazy now am an old mum with shocking memory but I would really advise you speaking to your MW/HV or GP so you feel confident in what to do with regard to this. My memory is hazy but I recall that it is is important to monitor for any changes from your baby's normal patterns of movement. I found that quite stressful but they gave me good advice about how to do this and that really helped. I wish you all the very best for the rest of your pregnancy. I remember the anxiety of this time very well. Have an unMN kiss from me xx

jammiedonut Sun 16-Jun-13 08:27:23

Glad all is well. If this happens again (I.e less than 10 movements in 12 hours or a marked change in pattern) just give you MAU a ring. They can provide all the sugary cold drinks and sweets you need whilst you are being monitored, as opposed to being at home and only having decreased movements as a sign something may be wrong. I was severely told off for waiting at home and trying to get him moving by myself when I was worried. They told me they'd rather see me every day with a healthy quiet baby than to have to break some awful news because it was too late. Felt like a right numpty of course when they strapped me up and bump decided to show off some very fancy footwork immediately. . . .

brettgirl2 Sun 16-Jun-13 09:47:54

No need to feel like a numpty. Probably baby doesn't like the belt, hence deciding to start moving.

FoofFighter Sun 16-Jun-13 10:15:44

it's not advised to do the 10 movements thing really any more, after all a baby could move ten times first thing in the morning then nothing all day and in theory (and sadly practise sometimes) have died by evening sad

rather better to monitor your own baby's usual pattern so that if anything deviates from that you are right on it.

I had an evening where I was concerned two weeks ago at 29w, baby was quieter than normal all day and then later it hadn't had it's usual early evening party in my womb, I called in, went in, it was moving LOTS but it had changed postiion and presumign the placenta was getting all the abuse as although you could hear it on the monitor going crackers, I could barely feel a thing!

yes if in doubt, just ring them, don't wwait.

afrikat Sun 16-Jun-13 13:20:23

Thanks for the advice - I will give MW a call to check what I should be checking for with the movements etc and will def go get checked out if it happens again. The movements are usually fairly dependable and it was definitely worrying to suddenly have things change. All seems normal today so far

blondecat Sun 16-Jun-13 14:26:01

So glad you are both OK

Here they told me to wait an hour and do the dink thing when I called worried

hmm

fuckwittery Sun 16-Jun-13 14:50:20

i advised wait an hour with sugary drinks etc as that was what my MW advised when I was concerned - and the baby did start moving. Interesting to hear that some have been told to come in straight away I guess you have to go with instinct and think about whther you have had a busy day when you are first concerned and been concentrating for baby movements.

Jollyb Sun 16-Jun-13 15:38:07

Interestingly the Royal College of Obstetricians' Guidelines do suggest advising women to lie down on their side to focus on movements as the initial step. However I suspect by the time you've got to the point of ringing the labour ward (or posting on mumsnet) you're likely to have already done this. So please don't allow yourself to be fobbed off and ask to be seen for monitoring.

VisitorTheDog Mon 17-Jun-13 10:23:54

I agree, I used to do the lying down thing and having a cold drink if it was just my first little thought of 'has he been moving much today and I've been busy or not paying attention'. But if it was more than that and I had been looking out for movements and knew it had been a while that I had felt any, then that's when I would phone up / go in and be monitored.

pocopearl Mon 17-Jun-13 15:54:21

when mine didnt move and i went in as soon as she put the heartbeat monitor on it kicked right up. Then they put the strap things round my belly to monitor and couldnt get an accurate reading for 30 minutes because baby was moving too much. I felt like such an idiot but the MWs at the hospital were fantastic and said they would rather have me in and baby do this than me not go in and worry and there be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now