Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Mc-donalds chicken sandwich, yes or no??

(17 Posts)
blondebaby111 Sat 15-Jun-13 11:39:46

Just wondered if a maccy d's chicken sandwich is ok because it has mayo in it? I wouldn't thought it is fresh mayo but wanted to check first.
Dp is bringing lunch home on way home from work and I really really fancy one!!

All their sauces come in tubes that can be kept for a fair while so think you will be ok.

ItCameFromOuterSpace Sat 15-Jun-13 11:43:37

All processed mayo (Hellmans etc) is form to eat. It's only the homemade from scratch type you have to avoid.

jacquiemccloy Sat 15-Jun-13 11:44:56

you can always ask for no mayo when ordering if you are concerned smile

SisterMatic Sat 15-Jun-13 11:45:16

Its fine, enjoy!

curlew Sat 15-Jun-13 11:47:29

<resists the temptation to go "ahhhh, bless!">

Enjoy it. And have chips and a Mc Flurry too. You have to- the baby wants them.

blondebaby111 Sat 15-Jun-13 11:49:52

I got told (by a friend) you can't have mcfluuries either, or cream cakes from the bakery....all the things I like lol! I'm wondering if she's been told the wrong information xx

Snowflakepie Sat 15-Jun-13 11:51:55

Depends how worried you are about listeria or salmonella, as fresh cream type things can harbour them. However, very very small risk and more to do with you being ill than the baby. Whippy ice creams have been my guilty pleasure all summer!

bigkidsdidit Sat 15-Jun-13 11:52:43

You can have all those things smile not fresh mayo made at home with raw egg, though!

First baby by any chance? grin

Mayo is only an issue in a posh restaurant where they make it up fresh from raw eggs on the day. Soft icecream is a theoretical listeria risk. I personally wouldn't touch a Mr Whippy van, but might risk a McFlurry because McDs are pretty scrupulous about their hygiene. Listeria unfortunately could do serious harm to a baby, and is occasionally found in many foods including deli meats and salad vegetables - the risk is very small though.

Ooooohhhh worked in a McDonald's whilst at 6th Form.

Had to stack empty crates under crates of rolls to lift them out of the flooded kitchen and scrape mould of breakfast muffins.

I wouldn't say scrupulous!

blondebaby111 Sat 15-Jun-13 12:13:28

Yes first baby grin took a long 5 years to get here. Its my friend that put the seed of doubt in my mind about these things..I'm not normally so worried about anything a and I had a cream cake last week anyway. Like most of u said risks are very small....ooo I can't wait for my chicken sandwich xx

Lj8893 Sat 15-Jun-13 18:54:58

Hope so! I have had several so far in my pregnancy!

Fairylea Sat 15-Jun-13 18:58:22

Gosh yes fine. I ate everything and anything from McDonald's (and subway and kfc and.... and...) during both pregnancies. Everything is processed to fuck so don't worry.

heidihole Sat 15-Jun-13 21:18:22

yeah normal mayo is fine. Its just homemade with raw eggs or something like that.

Honestly don't worry about it. risk of food poisining/listeria is so incredibly tiny you shouldn't stress.

TinkyPeet Sat 15-Jun-13 21:21:28

No don't have one....have two! And bring me a couple while your at it :D
Mmmmm, mcflurries, if I hadn't have just had a tantrum and thrown everything on the floor like a petulant child I would send dh out for one....

jammiedonut Sun 16-Jun-13 09:00:48

Mc-chicken sandwiches are fine (I've eaten hundreds, pregnancy craving) as the mayo is processed no raw egg etc. Mcflurries are really a judgement call. The advice re soft-serve ice cream is generally there because of the lax attitudes to cleaning the machines. McDonald's do have very rigorous cleaning procedures and the machine should be cleaned every day. . . That being said, you can generally have a quick look at the general cleanliness of the place and see whether you'd want to risk it. I used to work there and was happy to eat them all the time at my store, but not everyone has the same standards unfortunately. I'd avoid mr whippy type ice cream vans at all costs though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now