Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Dating scan before booking in appointment

(14 Posts)
moominlike Sat 15-Jun-13 07:46:19

I've booked my first midwife appointment for next Thursday but then got a letter through for a dating scan for the day before - is it ok to have the appointments this way round??

The scan letter says to bring my notes which will only have the bits I've filled in and I wondered if they'll be funny about that...it also says I need to have decided whether to have certain tests which is fine although I won't have discussed this with the midwife first so again don't know if that'll be an issue for them?

I will be around 7-8 weeks when I have the scan, is this about right for a dating scan or too early?

Sorry for all the questions this is all new to me!

roofio87 Sat 15-Jun-13 08:28:17

hmm, I'm not sure of the official time line, but that does seem too early for the dating scan, especially if you're wanting the ds testing. can u ring the mw or hospital and see what they say?

LadyMedea Sat 15-Jun-13 09:12:44

That is too early for the usual dating scan and downs testing with nuchal translucency. Is there some doubt about your dates as that's why the might have booked you in for an early one. Then you'd have you 12 week one as well.

You can speak to your midwife and ask even if you've not met yet.

Bodicea Sat 15-Jun-13 09:23:18

It's too early for a dating scan especially if you are thinking about having a nuchal translucency test as that needs to be done between 11 and 14 weeks (preferably 12) . You also need to be scanned at this stage to check hinges like the s is forming properly which won't have happened at 7 weeks. Also you really should have your booking first so that you can be counselled about all the different test options.
Were you perhaps unsure About your dates? That's the only reason I can think they would book so early.

moominlike Sat 15-Jun-13 09:26:25

Antenatal bit wasn't open on Friday when I got the letter so couldn't call till Monday, just wondered what others' experiences were in the meantime...

That's what I wondered ladymedea as I didn't have a period between coming off the pill and getting my BFP, just going by CB digital test so far!

It looks like a standard letter they send out so maybe that's why the bit about ds testing is in there even though it'll be too early for that?

moominlike Sat 15-Jun-13 21:12:51

bump

cleverbit Sun 16-Jun-13 04:38:45

I had my dating scan (at 12 weeks) but before my booking in appointment. I think they queue up the patients in my local antinatal scan department by stacking up their notes or something. I didn't have my notes yet and I waited more than an hour and a half (with a very tired 16 month old dd1) before complaining at which point we were seen in quite a rush. If you do go for the scan before you get your notes my advice is to make sure you're actually in the queue for a scan smile

moominlike Sun 16-Jun-13 08:07:39

Nightmare, thanks for the tip!

jacquiemccloy Sun 16-Jun-13 08:22:23

My 12 week scan was combined with my booking in appointment and I agree with previous posters I think they queue the women up here also. I arrived thinking I was only having the scan and DH had work after...we ended up there for 2.5 hours!! Gave in my notes and got seen quite quickly for the scan, 10mins earlier than the appointment actually because I was there early smile. It was great, can't wait for another!! Then we were told we're seeing the midwife so to wait in the waiting room. There was another couple there I remember gazing over at their scan picture while waiting for my own and they were still waiting, we must have waited a good 30-40 mins until we were called through, at which point I was told it was the booking in appointment, although not actually with the midwife that I had been assigned! Now it did take our appointment longer because the consultant wanted to talk to us as well about a genetic thing in my husbands family (which luckily shouldn't be a concern for us smile). Also I hadn't had any bloods taken at the pre-booking so I had to give 4 samples and they couldn't find a vein for ages, ended up sending in a third doctor to do it grin.

I'll be honest it was a royal pain in the neck because they hadn't prepared me, I really did just think it was a scan only (but this is my first so I don't know what to expect at times) however no matter how frustrating the waiting around and being unprepared was I'd still do it again in a heartbeat because the 5 mins you are having the scan and the endless hours you stare at the photo after make it all worth while smile....which is a good job really because I've moved house and they have told me I have to redo the whole booking in thing because its a new area!! But hey might get a sneaky bonus scan out of it grin.

Good luck, you'll be fine, just be prepared for any waiting around they might make you do thanks x

moominlike Sun 16-Jun-13 08:38:08

Thanks jacquiemccloy, hope it's a bit quicker for you this time! The midwife appointment is at home the following day so I think it will just be a scan. I'm not too worried now about the appointments being an odd way round as that seems quite common! Still a bit concerned that the scan will be too early but have since read on MN that people have them from 6 weeks or so if they aren't sure of dates or experience bleeding, so hopefully they will be able to see something in there next week!

I know I could just phone the hospital tomorrow and ask but I do want the scan...wasn't expecting one so soon but now it's there I wouldn't want them to move it! Cheeky I know blush

Any other experiences of early dating scans welcome!

WhyMeWhyNot Sun 16-Jun-13 08:46:03

Our epu regularly does dating scans, ideally between 7 and 8 weeks to all women not 100% sure of their lmp. That's to ensure the nuchal scan, any tests etc gets performed at the right time.

moominlike Mon 17-Jun-13 06:57:21

Ah makes perfect sense, thanks smile

quackojuliet Mon 17-Jun-13 10:27:17

I had what the epu called an 'emergency' scan at around 8 weeks as had experienced bleeding early on. The sonographer told us it was inaccurate for dating and was just to check the heartbeat, sac etc. All was good, hearbeat firing away was a lovely sight!
I also have my 12 week scan and booking in appt the 'wrong' way round... my gp has already taken bloods so i think that may be why the mw appt is so late...

moominlike Tue 18-Jun-13 07:47:00

Thanks quackojuliet, I'm glad everything turned out ok for you smile

Excited/nervous about the scan tomorrow, it's silly but I keep thinking what if they don't see ANYTHING and this has all been in my head! I'm sure 7 pregnancy tests can't be wrong (although I might have to use my last one just to be sure) blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now