Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Where should baby sleep

(81 Posts)
kd83 Tue 11-Jun-13 15:05:08

Can anyone advise.

Baby isn't due until Oct but we have a cat who currently sleeps upstairs and I want to get him in to a new routine in plenty of time.

We are already keeping him out of the baby's room, but I've read that baby should sleep in your room for the first six months, is this true?

Two problems with this are the lack of space in our room for anything more than a Moses basket (ie no space for the cot) and the cat.

How long was baby with you before moving into their own room?

lurcherlover Fri 14-Jun-13 12:08:42

Littlest it's about relative risk and motivation for me. Letting a toddler watch a bit of CBeebies does not increase his risk of dying. Nor does giving him a non-organic carrot.

If a baby has to move out of the parents' room because the cot won't physically fit in, of course there's no alternative (it might be possible to sleep on an air bed in the baby's room for a while, it might not). If baby is being moved out purely because parents don't want him/her in with them- that to me is a bit silly. None of us are perfect parents, and everyone does things against guidelines from time to time. But if you can physically keep baby in with you, it is a relatively easy and straightforward way to further cut the sids risk. Deciding not to bother seems odd to me, regardless of whether or not you also had the odd glass of wine in pregnancy.

JoJoManon Fri 14-Jun-13 13:01:27

I'm putting my baby in it's own room from Day One on it's own.
Will have a monitor etc. According to Gina Ford that's fine.

sameoldIggi Fri 14-Jun-13 13:13:37

Rofl.

lurcherlover Fri 14-Jun-13 13:18:27

JoJo, the monitor makes no difference. It's not you hearing baby that's important. It's baby hearing you. They hear their parents' breathing and it helps them regulate their own. Noises made by parents also stop babies from having prolonged periods of very deep sleep, which again is dangerous as that's when they're more likely to "forget" to breathe (it's such a new reflex that it needs time to mature). It's thought that overheating is dangerous for this same reason, that babies that are too hot tend to just fall into a deep sleep.

Your baby, your choice, but I would caution against Gina Ford. She has no medical qualifications and her "advice" goes directly against the medical professionals who dedicate their careers to finding causes of SIDS and trying to reduce risk. She also gives incredibly bad and outdated breastfeeding advice and encourages new parents to leave a distressed baby to cry if it's not time in the "routine" for it to be cuddled. Honestly, you're really better off without her.

Lavenderandroses Fri 14-Jun-13 14:51:12

Well if gina ford says so!

scottishmummy Fri 14-Jun-13 19:20:37

own room since birth under our own volition
not influenced by an author
was always the plan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now