Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Two great pregnancies and labours. Are thirds really worse? .

(34 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 14:53:13

I've had two sides to the story. Some day it's easier, some say its the worst!

littleraysofsunshine Wed 12-Jun-13 18:26:01

I found my back to back baby easier ( painful) but easier that no.1..

So who knows for this baby!!

tazmo Wed 12-Jun-13 16:22:53

Just had 2 friends give birth to no 3. They had a worst time as both had the babies back to back which I hear is painful. My3 rd was c section but the worst c section as elective so less drugs!

lisa07769 Wed 12-Jun-13 13:46:53

First baby was 6 hours from waters breaking to delivery.Arrived at hospital and he was born within 45 minutes.
Second baby unplanned home birth she was born 15 minutes after waters broke. With absolutely no contractions before waters broke.Very shocking but relief. I really want some pain relief with baby number 3 but I am terrified it is all going to be a rush again.Aarrggggg!!!!!

AdoraBell Chile Wed 05-Jun-13 04:04:02

I've only had 1 pregnanacy but isn't it the case that each pregnancy, as well as each woman, is different? I wouln't worry about having a rough 3rd pregnancy just because someone else did, IYSWIM. Although with an express delivery like your second I would go along with the recommendation of a home birth for the next.

CountryMama Wed 05-Jun-13 03:57:24

3rd was easy... Had him at home which made it so much more calm and manageable. I had quick births 1&2 and being at home slowed the 3rd down ... In a good way.

amanda36567 Wed 05-Jun-13 03:43:31

No. They got easier for me. Had three. My third was the easiest!

amazingmumof6 Tue 04-Jun-13 12:49:11

I read a book ages ago - and there's no way I can quote it, sorry - that suggested that out of all NORMAL labours the 3rd ones carry the least amount of risk of complications to both mother and baby.

I wish I could remember all the reasons why, but one stuck in my mind about how the uterus has been already used enough "to perform well" but not over used.

so in theory the 3rd birth should be the safest (not necessarily the easiestwink )

again, no hard data, and of course there are surely plenty of cases that would be in direct opposition of this theory ( dare I say statistics included in that book?), but I thought it is an interesting point, if true.

FoofFighter Tue 04-Jun-13 11:36:13

MW helpfully mentioned that 3rd labours can be a bit 0.o (that was the look on her face..) hmm

The MWs who wrote the OBEM book stated in it that 3rd labours can be a nightmare. hmm

All very helpful, thanks!

AmberSocks Tue 04-Jun-13 10:23:06

my third birth was by far the best,they have all been straightforward and quite quick but my daughters birth was amazing,she was about a pound smaller than the boys which i think helped,it was my first water birth and it was just amazing,i would say i realised i was in labour earlier than i did with the other two,so in a way it was longer but i didnt feel any pain at all,my 4th was more painful but he was bigger,he was water birth at home and although still amazing i remember it being more painful than number 3,there was lots of pressure from early on,not just the last few contraction like the others.

megandraper Tue 04-Jun-13 05:22:16

IME third was very similar to second. Mine were all pretty good births. My first was 8.5 hours, second and third both around 2.5-3 hours. I finally worked out how to do pushing properly in my third. Have told DH we should have a fourth, so I can use that knowledge again, but he is unconvinced.

Skygirls Tue 04-Jun-13 01:49:28

Dc1 labour time 9 hrs
Dc2 4hrs
Dc3 1hour

mumoftwoboysS Mon 03-Jun-13 21:17:13

I hope it's better and not worse! My DS1 was 5 hours, DS2 2 1/2 hours (and delivered outside hospital doors!!- was a bit late getting there as didn't feel that far gone!) so if DC3 is shorter I'd better go as soon as I feel a twinge!!

MW told me that 3rd can be a bit stop/start but that's the first time I've heard of that. My SIL had a 1 1/2 hr with DC1, 45 mins with DC2 and 15 mins with DC3 so it does sound like they get shorter!!

littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 21:02:50

Have your labours shortened in time duration? I wonder if this one will be another fast one (just under 4hrs, and 1 hour exact with dc 1&2)

littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 20:58:58

My second was Undiagnosed back to back. I found it easier but more intense. Very very fast though

Skygirls Mon 03-Jun-13 17:52:50

3rd was the best pregnancy and quickest labour. 1 hr!
Got to hospital and up to labour ward, and within 15mins, new arrival was there.

No time for pain relief, so was painful, but the quickest recovery for me.

tumbletumble Mon 03-Jun-13 17:10:13

Pregnancy was the worst (my sickness got worse each time). Labour was the same as DC2 (both quick and easy).

Fakebook Mon 03-Jun-13 17:06:29

I've had two very easy full term pregnancies. I was induced with the first but only pushed for about 15-20mins. With the second I pushed 3 times and he was out.

My third pregnancy has been the hardest in the first trimester (suffered morning sickness for the first time), but the second trimester so far is just as easy as the first two. I'm really hoping labour is quick too. I want to be home within hours of giving birth. Will refuse to stay if they try to keep dc for being slightly lighter than average. I produce small 6lb babies.

amazingmumof6 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:35:33

hard to compare which pg was "worst"
I was sick for longest with DS3, first 4 months then last 2.5 months too.
worried most with DS5 as he was right after my MC.
and of course as our family grew pg and bf were more difficult and me being more tired.

EarlGreyTeabag Mon 03-Jun-13 16:35:29

The third pregnancy was by far the worst, mainly because I felt sick literally all the way through & of course I was running around after two little ones as well.

The third birth was a home birth, and it was the easiest & quickest of the lot.

blondiep14 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:32:17

3rd pregnancy was worse, but amazing (well, as far as it can be)labour

amazingmumof6 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:30:32

had to be induced with first two.

had sweep with DS3 then labour started , only I didn't realize!
had a nap then woke up to incredible pain.
we rushed to hospital and DS3 was born in half an hour, with 3 pushes! he was 9lb 6 and bigger than the other two.
it was great!

adding to that DD's birth (our 6th) was the best in a sense that I didn't have any tearing. zilch, none. It was just fabulous to have no pain afterwards!

arwen72t Mon 03-Jun-13 16:29:51

Worst pregnancy and meconium in his waters so a quick but worrying delivery, think the pregnancy will ensure he is the last but he is the most chilled, easiest baby and so worth it.

Bowlersarm Mon 03-Jun-13 16:29:28

Third was much better than the first two. Much shorter too.

purpleflower123 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:28:31

I found pregnancy a bit more tiring having the other 2 to run around after but nothing bad at all. The birth was great I felt in control and that I actually knew what I was doing.

neolara Mon 03-Jun-13 16:21:29

Third was fine, but quick. 30 mins start to finish. Delivered by my dh in the kitchen. Ambulance and midwife arrived later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now