Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Two great pregnancies and labours. Are thirds really worse? .

(34 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 14:53:13

I've had two sides to the story. Some day it's easier, some say its the worst!

Poledra Mon 03-Jun-13 14:54:35

Third was the best, by a country mile! smile

littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 15:01:10

My first labour was just under three hours, second was 1 hour exactly from waters pushing and in my arms. (She was born 20mins after arriving at hospital!) I was advised a home birth next!

3rd wasnt worst. Now the 4th, oh my hell....

MikeLitoris Mon 03-Jun-13 15:05:56

3rd wasn't the easiest pg but labour was brilliant.

MurtleTheTurtle Mon 03-Jun-13 15:50:45

My third was also my best, hoping 4th will be better still!

SoupDragon Mon 03-Jun-13 15:53:26

Mine wasn't. DS1 was a horrendous 23 hours back-to-back labour. DS1 was 20 hours I think and DD 9 hours smile

The third was an ok pregnancy, still sick but not as bad as dd1. The labour was the best in that I felt most in control and really knew how to do it. It was the one I had a pph with though.

Iheartcustardcreams Mon 03-Jun-13 16:20:07

Third was the worst! Quick and very painful, if your last was quick, I would get yourself to hospital with your first contraction!

neolara Mon 03-Jun-13 16:21:29

Third was fine, but quick. 30 mins start to finish. Delivered by my dh in the kitchen. Ambulance and midwife arrived later.

purpleflower123 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:28:31

I found pregnancy a bit more tiring having the other 2 to run around after but nothing bad at all. The birth was great I felt in control and that I actually knew what I was doing.

Bowlersarm Mon 03-Jun-13 16:29:28

Third was much better than the first two. Much shorter too.

arwen72t Mon 03-Jun-13 16:29:51

Worst pregnancy and meconium in his waters so a quick but worrying delivery, think the pregnancy will ensure he is the last but he is the most chilled, easiest baby and so worth it.

amazingmumof6 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:30:32

had to be induced with first two.

had sweep with DS3 then labour started , only I didn't realize!
had a nap then woke up to incredible pain.
we rushed to hospital and DS3 was born in half an hour, with 3 pushes! he was 9lb 6 and bigger than the other two.
it was great!

adding to that DD's birth (our 6th) was the best in a sense that I didn't have any tearing. zilch, none. It was just fabulous to have no pain afterwards!

blondiep14 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:32:17

3rd pregnancy was worse, but amazing (well, as far as it can be)labour

EarlGreyTeabag Mon 03-Jun-13 16:35:29

The third pregnancy was by far the worst, mainly because I felt sick literally all the way through & of course I was running around after two little ones as well.

The third birth was a home birth, and it was the easiest & quickest of the lot.

amazingmumof6 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:35:33

hard to compare which pg was "worst"
I was sick for longest with DS3, first 4 months then last 2.5 months too.
worried most with DS5 as he was right after my MC.
and of course as our family grew pg and bf were more difficult and me being more tired.

Fakebook Mon 03-Jun-13 17:06:29

I've had two very easy full term pregnancies. I was induced with the first but only pushed for about 15-20mins. With the second I pushed 3 times and he was out.

My third pregnancy has been the hardest in the first trimester (suffered morning sickness for the first time), but the second trimester so far is just as easy as the first two. I'm really hoping labour is quick too. I want to be home within hours of giving birth. Will refuse to stay if they try to keep dc for being slightly lighter than average. I produce small 6lb babies.

tumbletumble Mon 03-Jun-13 17:10:13

Pregnancy was the worst (my sickness got worse each time). Labour was the same as DC2 (both quick and easy).

Skygirls Mon 03-Jun-13 17:52:50

3rd was the best pregnancy and quickest labour. 1 hr!
Got to hospital and up to labour ward, and within 15mins, new arrival was there.

No time for pain relief, so was painful, but the quickest recovery for me.

littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 20:58:58

My second was Undiagnosed back to back. I found it easier but more intense. Very very fast though

littleraysofsunshine Mon 03-Jun-13 21:02:50

Have your labours shortened in time duration? I wonder if this one will be another fast one (just under 4hrs, and 1 hour exact with dc 1&2)

mumoftwoboysS Mon 03-Jun-13 21:17:13

I hope it's better and not worse! My DS1 was 5 hours, DS2 2 1/2 hours (and delivered outside hospital doors!!- was a bit late getting there as didn't feel that far gone!) so if DC3 is shorter I'd better go as soon as I feel a twinge!!

MW told me that 3rd can be a bit stop/start but that's the first time I've heard of that. My SIL had a 1 1/2 hr with DC1, 45 mins with DC2 and 15 mins with DC3 so it does sound like they get shorter!!

Skygirls Tue 04-Jun-13 01:49:28

Dc1 labour time 9 hrs
Dc2 4hrs
Dc3 1hour

megandraper Tue 04-Jun-13 05:22:16

IME third was very similar to second. Mine were all pretty good births. My first was 8.5 hours, second and third both around 2.5-3 hours. I finally worked out how to do pushing properly in my third. Have told DH we should have a fourth, so I can use that knowledge again, but he is unconvinced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now