Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Travel System Advice Needed

(17 Posts)
Fozziebearmum2b Sat 25-May-13 09:52:16

I'm 23 wks pregnant and been looking at the minefield of travel systems and looking for some advice! We're looking for a well made, good value travel system which would fit in the boot of a Renault Clio, but that would also last for a few years (and a few kids).

Preferably a system which would allow me to adapt to a double at a later date or add a step. Advice from someone who's used one for a few kids would be really useful :-)

I would say the Phil and Teds stuff always seems to last well and have the adaptability. That's worked for friends.

What we have done though is get a Graco travel system and then switch to an umbrella fold after 6-8 months old. DS1 goes on the buggyboard. DS2 in the pram or sling.

It depends how close together you are planning the kids and if DC1 will be walking everywhere when DC2 is born

Pocket1 Sat 25-May-13 09:57:27

I can't help you myself but suggest you go and ask at some shops - we went to mamas and papas, mothercare and John Lewis. Worked out what we thought best for us, and literally stopped parents in the street with that system and asked what they thought. All positive so we bought it - yet to use it as we are 34+1.

Good luck
smile

Queazy Sat 25-May-13 10:20:57

The Uppababy Vista is good value and converts into a double (with an extra £100 seat). We're going for bugaboo due to a couple of different bits but to be honest would have been delighted with Uppababy, so wasn't anything between them. Bugaboo doesn't convert into a 2 seater. I don't like the baby pram bit of the Phil and Ted system - looked less structured than a proper pram attachment but might have been the model I was shown. John Lewis have a great range.

Fakebook Sat 25-May-13 10:51:42

I had a graco the first time round that has lasted really well but not adaptable with a toddler. I've bought a Phil and Teds secondhand that can be adapted into a travel system with a maxi cosi cabriofix with a toddler sitting underneath. I'm using the pushchair at the moment with my 16 month old and it's really good to handle and fits in the boot of my polo with wheels attached. You can remove all the wheels to make it smaller.

MrsSpagBol Sat 25-May-13 10:58:23

We have done it the way pocket did it - we are going Uppababy too.

Bue Sat 25-May-13 16:37:29

Friendly tip that you will get a lot more advice if you post on the Pushchairs board. They are experts over there smile

Bodicea Sat 25-May-13 17:15:37

From a baby guru friend: Apparently the oyster system is best buy as allows baby to sit up better further down the line so can use for longer. apparently a lot of the other makes silver surf, bugaboo, icandy, quinny etc baby is only half sat up which apparently they hate as get bigger so dont last v long.

craftycottontail Sat 25-May-13 20:39:48

Definitely go to a shop that will let you try fitting them all in the boot of your car - John Lewis do this and I think Mamas and Papas do too. DH and I asked in JL to push themm back through the shop so we got a good idea of how they handled when negotiating display stands and corners etc!

I narrowed my choice down to Bugaboo and Uppababy - but found Bugaboo fitted in the back of our Corsa and Uppababy didn't even though the measurements were pretty similar, so definitely try them out for yourself.

offonajolly Sun 26-May-13 07:14:58

Hey, I am also 23 weeks and we finally made a decision on this yesterday after hours and hours of looking, trialling, reading reviews and watching videos. We're going for the Uppababy Vista. Our reasons for this are:
The baby sits relatively high up in the pram which means less bending down
The bassinet is suitable for overnight sleeping so removes the need for a moses basket
You can add on a second chair below if you have another child
It had gel wheels so no punctures, unlike other brands
It folds down well and fits into the boot of our VW Golf
It has large back wheels so good for all terrain
It has also come first in Which independent survey as well as here on Mumsnet I think
It comes with a 2 year warranty

The Cruz we also liked (also by uppababy) but the bassinet is not suitable for overnight sleeping and although slightly lighter there isn't much in the size when folded down and you can't add a second seat to it.

We felt the Vista was more sturdy.

For a while we liked the Maxi Cosi Elea but after seeing reviews it looked too filmsy.

Happy Hunting! It is a minefield but well worth doing thorough research as its a lot of money to spend. Our hope is that this pram will do us now for a while and a few kids!

eltsihT Sun 26-May-13 07:29:39

I have used an uppababy vista for 2 years with my son, loved it, he climbed in and out of it beautifully for me while pregnant with ds number 2. Just bought the second seat rain cover and infant snug for it (£130) and about to embark on using it as a double. Ds2 is than 48 hrs old so don't know how it will work out yet!

SweepTheHalls Sun 26-May-13 07:38:04

Can you get you get to Kidicare in Peterborough? Hundreds to look at and you can try them in the car!

Fozziebearmum2b Sun 26-May-13 16:12:29

Thanks all!

Sweep-no I'm in the north, but spent a while having a look in JL yesterday.

Think we've decided on the Uppababy Vista, not sure on the shiny fabric which was on the display model, the display model was in red so we're hoping the black will be much better. We're going back for another look in a week

Thanks everyone smile

Loupee Sun 26-May-13 16:25:51

You won't be disappointed.
We have the Vista in Black, my DS is 10 months old, other friends with babies of a similar age have swapped to an umbrella fold. Not me, I'll be gutted if I ever have to give up my Vista smile

plummyjam Sun 26-May-13 16:55:47

Another vote for uppababy vista. It's a little heavy to get in and out of boot but great to drive, converts into a double with a rumble seat and best of all has a massive basket underneath that you can fit tons of shopping in. Means you don't need a trolley at the supermarket, no bags hanging off the handles etc.

I would definitely recommend getting the snugseat - it's a padded insert that fits into the seat so you can use it for babies under 6 months rather than the bassinet. DD was not happy to lie flat in the bassinet from about 8 weeks onward, she wanted to see what was going on. Costs £30 from uppababy website.

plummyjam Sun 26-May-13 17:02:44

Also OP I don't know where exactly in the north you are but Adorable Tots in Ancoats Manchester has a big selection of uppababys in the different colours and the lady who works there is brilliant at demonstrating them. Prices are the same as JL (in fact I think we got it a bit cheaper IIRC). http://www.adorabletots.co.uk

Fozziebearmum2b Sun 26-May-13 17:55:17

Oooh thanks for the tip plummy-Im near Manchester so will def check it out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now