Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much exercise are you doing ?

(54 Posts)
daisygatsby Thu 23-May-13 14:30:57

I know there was a thread here recently for those who wanted to keep active during pregnancy but think it may have dropped off the first page.

Im 20 weeks and was a regular gym go-er before i got pregnant. I really wanted to keep active throughout pregnancy this time round as I didnt at all last time. But after a week of doing nothing last week, I tried to get back on the treadmill yesterday and found I couldnt manage to run and just did some power walking instead.

I've walked over 20k this week so far , and I m happy with that, but disappointed that I havent been able to keep doing anything more energetic than that.

How much are you doing and are you happy with it?

VinegarDrinker Wed 29-May-13 19:34:21

I'm 35 weeks and cycling to work (12 miles a day) and locally to shops, nursery etc with my DS on his seat, I have a fairly upright bike and have put my handlebars up.

I actually feel much better now than I did early on. Between weeks 8 and 15 I could barely move off the sofa.

We don't have a car and I am much more comfortable cycling than walking, so plan to keep going til I go into labour.

Still put on 15kg though!

JonesH Thu 30-May-13 11:19:14

I used to do 10K runs and to train I was just running up and down around my area, quite good roads, different levels so I was able to practice running on different gradients. I would constantly be drinking water trying to stay hydrated, I made sure I was eating these health bars as they are good for doing exercise no hidden nasties. But recently not been feeling confident to go do a lot of exercise, so just try walking as much as possible, stay eating healthy. Nothing too active!

Frogcatcher Thu 30-May-13 12:41:08

Oooh JonesH I've just discovered those & have been trying to snack on them at work instead of chocolate. Baby wants chocolate more though grin!

Monka Thu 30-May-13 14:38:16

Before I got pregnant I used to run. I did the GNR last Sept and got pregnant in Nov. I had loads of energy in the first trimester and had to give up exercise because I was losing a couple of pounds due to nausea so didnt want to lose any as a result of exercise.

In my second trimester I felt lightheaded and dizzy all the time so couldn't even manage walking during my lunch breaks.

I am now 30 weeks and haven't done any form of exercise except housework so I am a little active at least. I haven't actually put on much either. I lost 2 pounds in my first trimester going down to 8 stone and now weigh 9 stone 4 pounds. I try and eat nutritionally rich food and have been lucky in that the baby hasn't shared my sugar addiction that I had pre pregnancy. I don't eat many sweets or chocolate at all. I do eat popcorn and count my calories to make sure I am eating at least 2300 calories a day because again pre pregnancy I wasn't eating 2000 calories a day because I never really needed to and I am fairly short.

I do miss my daily lunchtime walks and the running and am going to set myself the challenge of running another half a marathon so when I do have the baby I have a fitness level to aspire to again.

Well done to all those ladies who are managing to exercise the benefits to you and baby now and during labour will be their own reward!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now