Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

When you think you're in labour when do you phone the hospital?

(24 Posts)
DreamingOfTheMaldives Wed 22-May-13 13:00:03

Congratulations Mr and Mrs NoTeaForMe flowers

FoofFighter Wed 22-May-13 11:43:26

ooh congratulations! welcome to the world little girl smile thanks

Congratulations! Similar thing happened to me too grinthanks

TinkyPeet Wed 22-May-13 09:51:24

Congratulations! smile x

MrsBungle Wed 22-May-13 07:32:06

Congratulations! My second was super speedy too! Enjoy your newborn cuddles!

resipsa Wed 22-May-13 07:29:41

Congrats and well done!

NoTeaForMe Wed 22-May-13 07:26:10

Well baby girl arrived ridiculously speedily. Contractions went from every half hour to every 4 mins and then needing to push all in just over an hour. Ran red lights and I dread to think what speed my husband went, but he miraculously got me to the hospital and I had a couple of puffs of gas and air and there she was!

Was bloody scary and all a bit shell shocked, but we did it and she's here safe and sound!

ButteryJam Tue 21-May-13 17:55:37

lucamom, what is the name of the app you mentioned?

Hope it all went well and you are cuddling a baby right now! Please come back and update! thanks

FoofFighter Tue 21-May-13 00:06:23

oooh good luck NoTea!!

NoTeaForMe Mon 20-May-13 23:50:41

Thanks.

Shit, I had forgotten how much these hurt!

cherhorowitz Mon 20-May-13 23:23:14

First twinge and tightening to last.

With DD2 I didn't have regular contractions until I was bearing down on the toilet. The sac was bulging out and twenty minutes after the midwives came out DD was in the world.

Casmama Mon 20-May-13 23:21:58

Start to finish.

NoTeaForMe Mon 20-May-13 23:17:31

So when timing them is it first twinge to last twinge or just until the pain has passed the peak?

Chisbird Mon 20-May-13 22:49:20

envy
Am due tomorrow and would love to go into labour instead of being 2 weeks late and needing to be induced, like with my other 2. sad

Good luck to you though flowers

lucamom Mon 20-May-13 22:46:52

If you've an iPhone/smart phone get the contractions app. I used it with number 3, it monitors your contractions and prompts you when to call hospital. Husband was more excited with the new gadget than the baby (it was a much easier way than trying to second guess)

TinkyPeet Mon 20-May-13 22:41:01

If its not your first baby you might want to call them and just let them know things have started and they will give you your next step, things can progress faster with second baby than first, and have your childcare on standby. Good luck xx

NoTeaForMe Mon 20-May-13 22:38:37

We're also trying to judge when to call for childcare for my daughter! Not easy!

NoTeaForMe Mon 20-May-13 22:38:03

Do you time from first twinge to when the pain has totally gone or just subsided? That contraction lasted 1min 30seconds!! Hmm...

LadyKinbote Mon 20-May-13 22:33:51

Good luck, I think you've got a while to go yet but you could always call for advice. Don't go in too early, you'll only be sent home like a naughty schoolgirl which is totally soul-destroying. Keep us posted...

What Suffolk said grin

Good luck, hope you're holding a lovely new baby very soon smile

SuffolkNWhat Mon 20-May-13 22:30:39

Oh and forgot to add good luck!

SuffolkNWhat Mon 20-May-13 22:29:24

Regular pains every 5 minutes lasting for a minute is the advice.

But I'd also say when you feel you can't cope anymore as well.

NoTeaForMe Mon 20-May-13 22:28:12

So I'm contracting on and off now...haven't really been timing them but am going to start now! I'm guessing they're about every 20 minutes and lasting around 30 seconds ish. However, I just had thee very close together but each one not lasting long at all. So at what point do I call the hospital?

This is all new to me, last time my waters broke first so I was straight into hospital and then induced so didn't ever really time them myself! Do I time them from first twinge? Stop when the pain is completely gone?!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now