Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Asking for a seat on public transport

(28 Posts)
Queazy Sat 18-May-13 18:30:28

I know this is probably a well-worn thread but I'm 26 weeks and the 2.5/3 hr round daily commute is beginning to wear me down. The other day a guy sitting on the tube rolled his eyes, tutted and got up to give me a seat. I didn't thank him - bit self-righteous of me but its not just about what you do, it's also about how you do it! I dread each journey because so many times people have pretended not to see the bump by their heads. I'm only 26 weeks so I know this will get harder.

Do you ask people to stand for you?

Teaandflapjacks Sun 19-May-13 11:49:32

When I lived in London I saw this all the time unfortunately - people are in such a 'bubble', and often in the morning nursing work exhaustion or hangovers etc and fricking knackered. I used to always offer my seat to elderly, pregnant (once offered to someone who was not actually pregnant, just carrying a bit too much weight after xmas - was mortified!), and I also did to small children, poor things and all that buffeting about. I would just ask - but aim at a group 'can someone give me a seat please' etc.

drcharliegirl Sun 19-May-13 11:55:53

My experience with late 1st trimester chest infection and feeling generally AWFUL was asking a 25 year old bloke in the priority seat who was determined to keep playing his PSP if he would mind moving as I was pregnant (also wearing the badge). He let out this huge, hard-done-by sigh and just looked at me.

I said in my loudest, most school-maamish voice I could muster - "I'm sorry sir, but I didn't get pregnant specifically to cause you inconvenience" - the death stares he got from everyone in the carriage (several of whom offered me their seats) shamed him into moving.

Take no prisoners. People are, as a whole, good. Even London commuters.

flanbase Sun 19-May-13 12:01:09

It's people being nice and helpful and not selfish. Pregnancy isn't an illness it's a state of being. It needs care and attention and understanding. Some people are more affected by pregnancy than others. Things like legs swelling are very uncomfortable and sitting down helps to give a moments relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now