Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Would you ask for a seat?

(16 Posts)
Alexandra6 Thu 16-May-13 07:35:32

Hi, I'm 12 weeks and really worried about my cervix length, it's being monitored but I'm trying to do all I can to help it as I just read online that a cervix length of less than 4cm first trimester is associated with preterm birth (32 weeks or less) based on a study. Mine is 3cm approx. I've read some people take bed rest with less than 3cm so I'm planning on really cutting down on activity.

I get the tube to work but have to stand usually for up to 45 mins or at least part of the journey. I stopped bothering with a 'baby on board' badge like some people wear as people would just ignore it and not offer the pregnancy seat, especially as I don't look heavily preggers. I need a "weak cervix, give me your seat" badge wink Would you just ask for the pregnancy seat each day? Ideally I'd work from home lying down with my laptop (I can do that and just go in for meetings) but not sure my boss will understand. If my cervix gets any shorter, I could ask though and explain, they'd probably grumble but should understand!

andadietcoke Thu 16-May-13 07:49:22

You can only ask... I'd go back to wearing the badge though.

Alexandra6 Thu 16-May-13 07:51:02

Thanks, sorry I meant wear the badge but just ask so they can't ignore it?

Grumpla Thu 16-May-13 07:53:48

Wear the badge and ask. You need the seat. Think about it as looking after your baby, rather than asking for a 'favour' for you.

Have you had a pregnancy risk assessment at work yet? Might be worth reminding HR to schedule this ASAP if you have a high risk pregnancy.

andadietcoke Thu 16-May-13 07:54:13

Yep, why not. The worst they can say is no, and someone sitting close by might offer their seat if they overhear. If you really need a seat then you should ask if one isn't offered with the badge alone.

Alexandra6 Thu 16-May-13 08:01:14

Thanks, I did think a bit embarrassing asking but was thinking I should man up and ask as I'm so anxious standing up and I know that's going to get worse as the baby grows.

And grumpla we don't have an HR, just a small agency so they're not bothering with all of that. I guess I could talk to them, maybe after my next cervix scan at 14 weeks, as I can do exactly the same job from my laptop at home lying down. I'm worried they'll grumble that I just want to work from home or am making a big deal about my pregnancy, but I'm honestly terrified about all this!

BabyHMummy Thu 16-May-13 09:06:07

alex they aren't allowed to not bother hun its a legal requirement to do a risk assessment. Make sure that they do it, it covers them as well as you if their actions or lack thereof cause problems for Ur pg then they are liable if they haven't done one.

As for the tube, make sure you ask for a seat

Miggs28 Thu 16-May-13 09:28:28

Absolutely ask for a seat, I used to take the tube into work (hours journey) and if there wasn't a seat available I would always ask. I never had anyone say no.

As for the risk assessment as has been previously said it is a legal requirement that they do this - I was provided with a new chair and keyboard after mine and they really made a difference the bigger I got.

polkadotsrock Thu 16-May-13 09:32:13

I worked from home last pg. It caused a few funny looks but I couldn't have given a fig to be honest, it's really not about anyone else, do what's right for you and baby. Good luck

WeAreNinjaNotGeisha Thu 16-May-13 09:38:02

Wear the badge AND ask for a seat. I was never turned down.

And yesterday when I had no other option but to be on the stupidly crowded tube with my pram during evening rush hour, I simply asked the people sitting on the fold-up seats and they graciously moved. (Similar to the 'pregant' seats, TFL have recently added 'stroller parking' stickers to the fold-up chair areas, which also helps give confidence when asking :-) ). People are generally very nice and generous about it anyway.

WeAreNinjaNotGeisha Thu 16-May-13 09:42:10

And get your work to do their legally obligated risk assessment. During my pregnancy I worked for a very small business (only 2 employees!) and they treated it with much seriousness. As they should - the pregnant employee is well protected in the UK.

If I recall correctly, isn't it mandatory that the assessment has to be completed by a certain timeframe within the employee's pregnancy?

tomatoplantproject Thu 16-May-13 09:42:25

Wear your badge and ask for a seat. I had pgp from c20 weeks so had a bump, but if I had to stand I would be in pain all day. I figured a seat made much more of a difference to me than any other person sitting there.

Legally your employers have to do a risk assessment. Also better they have you working at 80% capacity than signed off sick which you will be if you don't get things set up properly.

Alexandra6 Thu 16-May-13 09:43:45

Thanks babyH I will try and be brave and ask for a seat! grumpla's right, it's for the baby and genuine concern for the strength of my cervix, it's not like I'm lazy!

As for work, I'll ask them but as it's an office job, I can't see anything that would change even if they downloaded a form and ticked a few boxes? I'm guessing it would be a hospital note I'd need to justify working from home on semi bed rest when the baby grows a bit, if they agree that would help take the pressure of the cervix? Alternatively I could ask work and just say I'm worried, but I think they're more likely to say no or get annoyed, although my boss does know about the cervix situation and how worried I am.

Alexandra6 Thu 16-May-13 09:49:19

Sorry cross post thanks for the support. polka I like your attitude (mainly as if something goes wrong, god forbid, I know what I'm like and need to feel I'm doing all I can. Why did you work from home, was there a particular reason? Maybe I'll see how my next cervix scan is looking in two weeks and then talk to my bosses. I think they are the sort of people who will see any fuss as me being "difficult" about my pregnancy but I am so worried and like I said, need to feel I'm doing all I can.

polkadotsrock Thu 16-May-13 10:06:59

I had a couple of issues but mainly sickness. I saw my GP and he was so u understanding I could hardly believe it. He said the stress of working and worrying about how I looked to others, if I was doing the right thing etc was making me worse and wasn't good for the baby. I think I started working from home around 20 weeks, then took mat leave ASAP (slightly different issues later) but I had felt so much better at home. If you have something on your mind- in your case more serious than mine- and it causes you to worry it is absolutely the right thing to do to take that worry away if you can. You may also be surprised- your work may well be supportive, especially if you truly can do your job equally well from home.

YBR Thu 16-May-13 13:31:51

Alexandra, I had Pregnancy risk assessments with my first DC. I have an office based job although the company includes those who work outside on the railway. I can't remember in full (a lot was not directly relavant) but it included things like traveling, shift lengths, having somewhere to rest during the working day and so on. Also being able to re-arrange or adjust my desk/chair/computer as the bump got bigger. It was repeated several times. This would allow you to discuss what arrangements might help you.

Can anyone point me towards how soon they have to get this done? I'm now expecting DC2 and HR/H&S people seem to be waiting for a MC ever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now