Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

To wear make up in labour or not???

(86 Posts)
babyfev Wed 15-May-13 13:50:07

This might sound bad and Im sure when im in labour my priority will not be how I look! However I always feel more confident and with my makeup on and hair done, am I being completely ridiculous even thinking about putting makeup on for labour?

What did you do or have you thought about it? xx

CuppaSarah Wed 05-Jun-13 12:16:20

When I went into labour anything that could take my mind off the impending contraction and keep me feeling in control helped. I'm not a make up person so I played games on my computer. If you enjoy putting on makeup and doing your hair, it'll be a great coping strategy during early labour. If your early labours quite long you might want to keep busy, or you might not give a crap. I don't imagine you'll be too worried when you get to active labour and it may have rubbed off by the time little ones out. But who knows?

maebybebe Wed 05-Jun-13 09:54:16

I would want to be make up free, so when it was all over I could just wipe my face with some Clean&Clear and a cotton pad and use all that sweating as a nice deep pore clean! grin

Strokethefurrywall Sun 02-Jun-13 19:58:23

I think this is totally dependent on when you go into labour and how long it lasts.
I went into labour at 11am at the office so had a full face of make up on because I was still working. I was lucky in that I had a very short and uncomplicated labour and whilst I wasn't particularly bothered about looking nice, I was glad I did if you see what I mean! Also, my eye make up didn't run even though I was in the water. I was more concerned about having straight hair because my barnet is naturally really curly and I didn't want to look like a crazy lunatic! I'd also had a manicure/pedicure and my eyebrows threaded. I figured I wasn't going to get a chance to get it done for a while after so had it done a few days before (by luck as pfb arrived at 37+6)

I would still put some make up when I have the next one too, provided I had time. There's nothing wrong with making yourself look and feel nice and sometimes labour is a pretty lengthy affair. You've got to do something to pass the time, right?! grin A friend of mine plucked her eyebrows and gave herself a face mask when she was in labour. She's glad she did too, her labour was about 20 hours!

Bodicea Sun 02-Jun-13 16:54:13

think I will have eyelashes and eyebrows tinted and take eyelash curlers, blusher and a bit of powder to get rid of shine with me. think blush makes the biggest difference in photos. def not risking mascara, waterproof or not.
will also get fingers and toes shellacked in the run up x

igirisu Sun 02-Jun-13 14:43:43

you could give gradual tanner for face and body a go, that way you will have a bit of colour on your face without it melting off. It is hard to apply all over the body at this stage in pregnancy though grin i have tinted eyebrows and am going to tint my eyelashes soon but as for the hair i doubt anything will make it look good after labour as it always looks sh*t anyway!

brettgirl2 Fri 17-May-13 20:00:20

Respect grin

The thing is that doing your makeup and hair may well relax you in early labour so go for it.

Not something I thought of personally! !!

RoxyLady Fri 17-May-13 18:09:13

Great minds bunbaker ;)

Bunbaker Fri 17-May-13 18:06:53

I was about to make that suggestion as well Roxy grin

RoxyLady Fri 17-May-13 18:05:18

If you want to look half decent why not put some fake tan on. Inbox me and ill tell you the best to get.

RoxyLady Fri 17-May-13 18:04:39

If you want to l

limetictacs Fri 17-May-13 16:06:37

Oh I hope they don't make me take my nail varnish off. It took bloody ages to paint my toes!

ExhaustedMamasita Fri 17-May-13 14:41:10

If it makes you feel better – do it! I read somewhere that some women consider it to be like war paint… once it’s on, they’re ready for action! I would recommend wearing the minimal ie. waterproof mascara and tinted moisturiser only though… too much I imagine can get messy and have the opposite effect. And don’t worry it’s not vanity, it’s being prepared. x

Trishstar Fri 17-May-13 12:43:06

I wasn't asked to remove any makeup or nail polish for my emcs only jewellery. And even tho I sweat lots in the theatre and after in recovery and the ward, my makeup was still all there!

Depends what brands you use/the quality of your makeup as to whether it lasts.

And although I would have had pics without makeup on with my DS, I'm actually glad I look like myself on the pics!

harleyd Fri 17-May-13 12:12:12

if it makes you feel good then do it

Wuxiapian Fri 17-May-13 12:08:10

You may sweat. You may cry. You may vomit. You may want to shower. You may want a cool flannel on your face.

I wouldn't advise it.

oscarwilde Fri 17-May-13 12:03:08

Yes - no nail varnish. They will take it off. No idea what happens if you have gel stuff. Presumably you get a lot of dirty looks as they want your nail beds clear to check your blood is oxegenated (I think)

Best just to have a nice old fashioned mani pedi where your nails are buffed to a shine and cut nice and short so you don't worry about scratching the baby. When you come up for air in 6 weeks you can get your beauty regime back to normal or the new normal

Make up - too sweaty a business and then you need to pack remover too. Get eyebrows and lashes tinted if it's important to you, and possibly a little powder compact to take the shine off but otherwise I would leave it. If you are in for a few days, you can get someone to bring you in a few bits.

Sorry to burst any bubbles but I burst blood vessels in my eyes bearing down during delivery. Mascara going anywhere near my tired sore eyes was not an option. I'd pack some optrex in preference.

limetictacs Fri 17-May-13 11:53:42

Will the hospital make me take my nail varnish off?? I hadn't even thought about that. I'm not having a planned CS but if I have to have an emergency one will they make me remove nail varnish?

Frecklers Thu 16-May-13 13:10:39

If it makes you feel confident do it! If it runs or smears you can fix it up afterwards! Good Luck!

katieelh Thu 16-May-13 12:03:22

I didn't have any make up on the first time and in the photos after I looked truly hideous, the next time was an emergency c section so I did have make up on but unfortunately no lovely phots as my babies were whipped straight off to nnicu, the third and final time I was induced with full hair and make up and had a very quick labour and I still have my lip gloss on in the photos.

dinkystinky Thu 16-May-13 12:02:01

OP I dont normally wear make up so for me the question is a no brainer. However lip balm for post birth is good as post natal wards can be really stuff and dry.

However, would you wear make up to go to the gym? Giving birth is a sweaty, physical activity - and you have no idea of how you're going to respond to it in advance. By all means take your make up bag with you for photos after the birth, but during the birth, just focus on getting yourself into the getting that baby out zone.

gillybeandramaqueen Thu 16-May-13 11:49:59

Hahahaha!! What a brilliant thread!! Tbh, I too was wondering about this. For me though... I think it just stems from wanting it 'all' to be perfect... I've waited so long for this (am nearly 40 and expecting dc1 having met the love of my life 9 months ago)... and know that this will be the most wonderful special day in our lives (espesh mine) and don't want to look too much like shit for the experience, post-birth photos, etc....

BUT then you can't have everything can you?!?

...and anyway... I'm only 22 weeks and I already look like shit/death/horrendous/etc... so god knows what I'll look like when the joyous day comes!?!?!?!! grin

Fakebook Thu 16-May-13 11:37:06

When I went into hospital at 11pm with not regular, but pretty intense contractions, I had time to put on some light foundation. Didn't bother with lipstick but when we got in the car I made dh go back inside and get my Vaseline and he kept my lips moisturised throughout labour with a dab every now and then. I still looked very very yellowy pale after DS was born. Then I had a shower, went to bed and woke up at 10am the next morning and reapplied.

I looked like death when dc1 was born and I didn't want that horrible frumpy feeling whilst leaking ever again. just because you have a baby, it doesn't mean you stop looking after yourself. I had a mashed up vagina, but doesn't mean your face has to be like that too. Call me vain, I don't care.

Teaandflapjacks Thu 16-May-13 11:11:44

I certainly plan on - I will be tinting eyebrows and lashes ahead, and bung some benetint or lip stick on cheeks etc. I think there is nothing wrong with doing whatever you need to feel good to get through birth! Although I say this I bet it will all go right out of the window at the time, like mamalovebird. I also plan on having an 'emergency make-up' bag in my hospital bag with mascara, pinky lipstick (doubles as blusher if required), pan stick - touch up areas etc. I always wear make up every day - I don't feel properly up for the day without it! grin

mamalovebird Thu 16-May-13 10:53:34

Now, I'm the type of person that normally won't even answer the door without a lick of foundation and a some mascara on. I was induced with ds so went in with my normal makeup on the Friday. Come Sunday, after rivers of sweat, puke, drips, epidurals, cuts and forceps I was just glad to still be alive.

Surprinsingly, the first pics that DH took weren't all that bad. Must have had that just-survived-a-blood-bath glow about me wink

I reverted back to type pretty much straight away though. Was up and face on by 9am every day from day one.

randgirl Thu 16-May-13 10:08:44

I wish i had.... theres a photo collage in our spare room and one of the pics is of me just after i had ds. Needless to say that i forgot all about that particular photo when dh's collegue who is a bit of alright stayed over as they had a early flight to take the next morning. Dh told me he was having a right giggle at the state of me..........

Hair like bottom of a birdcage, white as a sheet and just generally looking bad .....

A hairbrush and bit of bb cream may be a good idea wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now