Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

shooting pains down blow (tmi)

(17 Posts)
blondebaby111 Mon 13-May-13 19:59:21

I'm 5 weeks today and tonight I have the most uncomftable shooting pains down below. It feels almost like a stabbing pain going upwards in spasms, is this normal?? Just getting a bit concerned. No cramping or anything just this weird feeling?? X

CitrusyOne Mon 13-May-13 20:00:32

I remember that- not just up my fanjo, up my bum too. Mine just went away after a few days but I'd call your surgery if you're worried.

blondebaby111 Mon 13-May-13 20:05:13

I have docs appointment tomora so will ask, its so painful, I would say it goes from there to round near my bum too like u, I'm glad its not abnormal xx

cogitosum Tue 14-May-13 04:16:58

I had that too and still occasionally now (32 weeks) although now I think it's baby head butting. From what I remember it's normal. There's lots going on down there at the beginning!

Wildt Tue 14-May-13 05:16:21

I get this too! Ouch!

Excited85 Tue 14-May-13 06:32:51

I had this from about 6/7 weeks and still get it sometimes (at 17 weeks). Mw didn't seem to know what it was so ended up going to early pregnancy unit to get checked out. They reassured me it was all normal do please try not worry. If you find it playing on your mind though go get checked out, it will reassure you but honestly I think it's just a side effect of stretching and movement.

I'm glad i have come across this thread, i had these last night and had some a few days ago. No bleeding or cramps just shooting pains near my pubic bone, normally when turning in bed or getting up from sitting. Haven't a clue what it is & cannot remember it from my previous pregnancies, but panicking a little less after reading the replies to your thread!
Going to mention it to mw just in case, 7+5 today.

CitrusyOne Tue 14-May-13 10:12:25

I didn't want to tell you not to worry in case someone else came along and said it might be something to worry about but it sounds perfectly normal to me! Hope you get the reassurance you want from the doc though.

blondebaby111 Tue 14-May-13 10:51:55

Thanx everyone, he said perfectly normal as anything happens in preg but I'm to wait for a call now from the midwife at some point and any concerns speak to her. I don't really think they like dealing with preg women sometimes lol! I am glad I'm not alone in feeling this, its such a weird feeling xx

mumoftwoboysS Tue 14-May-13 13:21:41

if the pains are on each side of the pubic bone it could be your round ligaments stretching? I get this sometimes when I sneeze or cough or turn over in bed etc. I think it happens a lot in the first tri, its all the ligaments stretching as your womb stretches.

Foodylicious Tue 14-May-13 17:31:06

I have a painful 'pullling' sensation inside, have also had some sharp pains i have decided are strtching/growing pains and others that have been trapped wind! TMI i know, but it can be a really sharp pain when you move or sit down, have mild IBS so have had these before, and its commen for it to worse now. Embarrasingly when i went for an early scan yesterday she tried to check my ovaries but could not see them due to 'exessive bowel gas', lovely!!

blondebaby111 Tue 14-May-13 18:13:44

how funny foody, i had this once when i was being investigated for my fertility (or lack of it) I had a young male doc doing a transvaginal scan and when he got to my left ovary he told me to push down as i had alot of gas and try to release it...how embarrassing!!! I have the stretchy feeling ay times mumoftwoboys but this feeling is like someone sticking a hot poker or needle up you...its awful!! although it did disappear after i had dinner so we have come to the conclusion that baby was hungry wink xx

mumoftwoboysS Tue 14-May-13 20:48:06

foodylicious I had a really bad case of that (trapped wind) the other day and it was excruciating. I was driving and almost had to turn round and go home. It always surprises me how trapped wind can be so painful. I was a bit worried, but as I have also had IBS on and off for years it felt like that kind of pain. I've had terrible bloating so far, and anything I eat seems to trigger it!

blondebaby that pain sounds awful shock I've had another type of pain that i can't pinpoint too, hoping it's not the start of varicose vains (had it last time) as that's really painful but more of a dull aching pain and got worse the heavier the baby got.

hopefully you won't have any more hot poker moments! (well at least till baby is really big and starts kicking you in the you know what- my god, now that hurts-lol!)

shelli135 Tue 14-May-13 21:01:01

I get these, call them 'fanny daggers' they are painful!

blondebaby111 Tue 14-May-13 21:35:32

Thanx mumoftwo,I hope not either! Hope u sort your pains out too, varicose veins are not nice and are painful. Shelli, I love the name fanny daggers! You described it to a tee xx

Excited85 Tue 14-May-13 21:56:48

Blondebaby that is definitely what I had. Felt like a right idiot saying to the midwife, then hospital over phone, then receptionist, then triage and finally consultant that it felt like someone was stabbing me up my bits with a knitting needle!!! Oh the shame!! On the plus side most of them managed to keep a straight face!

mumoftwoboysS Wed 15-May-13 08:54:34

fanny daggers- lol. Will remember that when I'm in late pregnancy!

thanks blondebaby I think there's a high chance I'll get them again as I did with previous pregnancy- my only solace is I know what to expect and know they'll go away once baby is born!

If only men knew what we have to put up with!! I don't think they have any idea of the pain and discomfort sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now