Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

"When are you better"

(9 Posts)
Yonididnaedaethat Mon 13-May-13 17:17:35

That has to be the worst way of asking when are you due! hmm

Pants82 Mon 13-May-13 18:15:38

Very weird!

candycrushhater Mon 13-May-13 18:18:10

I'm not sure, but I think that this is quite an old fashioned Scottish expression. My Mum told me once that can remember a neighbour asking her when she was about 5 years old, "when will your Mummy be better?". Her response - "my Mummy's not ill" grin.
It's always struck me as a strange expression.

Yonididnaedaethat Mon 13-May-13 18:55:47

Yeah it was my MIL that said it......really wish now I had said something funny backsmile

cupcake78 Mon 13-May-13 20:36:10

Never heard it put like that before!

My gran used to use that phrase. She was old fashioned and scottish like a previous poster has mentioned.

Jidget Mon 13-May-13 21:02:24

Yes, very commonly used Scottish expression and very odd!

gillybeandramaqueen Tue 14-May-13 06:43:01

I'm Scottish and have never heard this expression in my life!! It's bloody AWFUL!!!!!! grinO

polkadotsrock Tue 14-May-13 20:55:37

My wee (crazy) Scottish granny has let that slip once before but I think even she cringed- v unusual for her, she drops th c-bomb like there's no tomorrow with no shame at all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now